Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Trench/Lines

Max

Hello Everybody

Does anyone know the location of Lancashire Trench, supposedly just N.E. of Vermelles. I am having some difficulty locating it. Would Lancashire Trench be the same as Lancashire Lines?

Also whilst we are in the same area, could someone highlight the location of Clarks Keep, also supposed ly near Vermelles?

Andy

Andy.

I just couldn't get them both on the same clip and make them both visible.

Here's Lancashire Trench....

post-4-1068587777.jpg

...and here's Clarke's Keep. (The village is Vermelles).

Dave.

post-4-1068587869.jpg

Hello Dave

Thats fantastic as usual. They are just were I didn't expect them to be :D

Many thanks

Andy

I will thank you to Dave as this area is connected to 1st K.S.L.I. and none of my maps had Lancashire Trench on then, althou I also had a rough idea where it was.

Annette

Dave could I be very very checky and ask if you have more of this area. I've drawn my own map from sections of three different maps to show where the 1st K.S.L.I. served, the problem is rear trenches are not shown on the ones I've got. The one map that covers squres 4, 5, 10 and 11 show all the front and support trenches but shows no trenches further back, then I have a map of Vermelles again it shows no trenches, then the third one covers G.2 a & b and 3 a & b, which as all rear trenches shown. Does any of that make sence.

What I am looking for are squres G.3 (c & d), all of G.9, G.10 (a, c & d), G.11. © and the rest of Vermelles village.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Yes, I understand you Annette ( :blink: )

Here goes.....

G3 c&d....

post-4-1068670847.jpg

...(nearly)all of G9....

post-4-1068670951.jpg

....G10....

post-4-1068671027.jpg

...G11...

post-4-1068671103.jpg

...and ,finally, the whole of Vermelles village (I had to alter the scale of this to make it fit)....Hope this is Ok for you,

Dave. :)

post-4-1068671328.jpg

Hello DAve

Thanks for the above. I know that this is extracting the yellow stuff somewhat :rolleyes: , but could you post G3.A&B. Hopefully, if my calculations are correct :blink: , BARTS KEEP should be located in 3.B.

By the way, where do you get such excellent copies of the trench maps?

Best regs

Andy

Your both quite welcome.

Andy.

G3 a & b aren't actually on this map, I think it's G9 a & b that you want (if I'm thinking down the same lines as you, that is ,and following "Bart's Alley").

If this is the case, there's no Bart's Keep shown. G9 b is actually shown in it's entirity, split between two of the above postings and the full length of "Bart's Alley" can be traced using three of them.( If you look at the clip showing the whole of Vermelles, you can see almost all of Bart's Alley heading eastwards from Lancashire Trench). The nearest "Keep" I can find to this trench is "Control keep".

Sorry - you beat me on that one! :P

Dave. :)

Hello DAve

Thanks for trying.

The 1/KOYLI and 83rd Bde. diary mentions BARTS (sorry it was my mistake, no KEEP). Apparently it is/was an advanced dressing station at G.3.B at the road junction (and rail intersection) facing MAD POINT.

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy G3 b up to Mad Point....

post-4-1068755164.jpg

...and (while we're at it) the top half of Lancashire Trench....

Dave.

post-4-1068755260.jpg

Hello Dave

Thats absolutely spot on. It seems that what I thought was a dressing station is actually a bomb depot?!?! You must have been reading my mind by posting the other image as I was desperate to ask were Sussex Trench was but didn't want to appear to be taking the micky.

Thankyou very much

Andy