Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Netley

themelios

Was Netley hospital (near Southampton, I think) out of commission as a military hospital at the time of WW1? AFAIK, it was used after the Crimean war and after the Egyptian and other campaigns in the 1880s, but does anyone know if it was still in operation 1914-1918?

Thanks,

Sean

Hello,

Certainly near Southampton, on Southampton Water, East shore about 5.5 km from Southampton City Centre. It was still in use in WW2 so I suppose it was in WW1. Its now a Country Park.

Old Tom

In use by the US Military in WW2; large psychiatric facility in Great war - very large hutted hospitals as well as the Victorian building. Included a Japanese hospital.

Mostly demolished in 1980's, as Old Tom, says it is now a country park, tho' the Chapel and the (WW2) NAAFI still exist.

Popular with dog walkers, kite-flyers and people who like to watch dog walkers and kite flyers.

The old Officers' Mess is now posh flats.

Sean

In the north east corner of the Park is the Royal Victoria Hospital Cemetery. Take a look on the CWGC site, click on cemetery, enter Netley Military, and you will see that it was very much in business during WW1.

There are quite a few ANZACs there as well as a number of Germans.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

The hospital, opened in 1856, was overwhelmed by the casualties of the 1914-18 war, so that hutted hospitals had to be built in the grounds to provide another 1000 beds. Ambulance trains arrived almost daily at Netley station, and during the battle of the Somme 30 000 wounded and sick were delivered by 151 trains. Hidden away behind the main hospital was the Military Lunatic Asylum (D block) which, led by Arthur Hurst and J H M Symns, played an important part in treating casualties with mental illness and shell shock.

Netley was again under pressure in the second world war; in 1944 it was handed over to the Americans, and from D Day on received some 68 000 casualties, including 10 000 Germans. But its days were numbered and by the 1950s only D block continued to function. Demolition began in 1966, but a last minute plea to save the chapel and central tower was successful and a new museum was installed. The asylum closed in 1978 and the landscaped gardens became a country park.

Mick

Very much going in WW1 and very much worth a visit today. The cemetery still exists located over a rather spooky sort of causeway - to distance it from the hospital it was hidden away, I suppose. A large plot of WW1 casualties and earlier and later graves. One of the best military cemeteries in the UK, I think.

Thank you all very much! You have given me some very useful information indeed and I certainly will visit Netley asap. My G-G-Father was sent there in 1887 for several months having had a leg amputated whilst serving with the 2 Yorks and Lancs in Bermuda, so as well as me having a WW1 interest in the place, family links with it go back a bit further too!

Sean