Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'D' Battery 312th West Riding R.F.A (TF)

Woodsc

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2006 at 22:39, ororkep said:

Ron,

Unfortunately I cannot find a mention of a Capt. Kenworthy in the diary for 312 Bde. I have the year from entry Jan 1917 to Jan 1918. I searched from Feb 1917- July 1917. This brigade was certainly in the thick of it during this period, on one occasion in April it reports 15 guns suffered direct hits. Numerous Officers and men are mentioned in it. However there is only one incident of note for May that might be a suitable candidate.

26/5/17, at St. Mein. Time 1.30pm.

Explosion at D Battery causing death of Capt.H. B. Gallimore and 10 other ranks. Lt. G Hardy and 3 others seriously wounded. (over written at later date- later died of his wounds) Fire caused by a spark from firing gun that ignited the overhead fishing net camouflage. It spread to the gun pit. Officers and NCO hurried to extinguish it with earth and spades. 3 minutes later the shells exploded. One gun destroyed and another damaged. Incident caused CRA order to be issued that if future fire occurs men are to evacuate and not try to extinguish it.

Mjr. F. H. Lister CO 312 Bde.

Possible he was one of the Officers who helped?

Regards Paul

P4240021.JPG.ac57c5fac6300c4c169e4a733084ee99.JPG

The incident on the 26th May 1917 also claimed the life of 21 year old Bombardier George Ernest Bucknall from Ilkley.

There is useful account of the war service of 310,311 and 312 Brigades, which includes the incident above on the following link

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12327403?q&versionId=14549667 which is copy of Andersons War Services of the 62nd West Riding Divisonal Artillery (1920)