Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'D' Battery 312th West Riding R.F.A (TF)

Woodsc

Hi

As a newcomer to the forum I would like to request your help in gathering information as to the location where the following soldier may have been recognised for bravery

The soldier was Drv W.Ellis (786012) serving in the above brigade ~ I have obtained his medal index cards from the NA and the MIC relating to the military medal documents the award was in the London Gazette 11/05/1917

I have been told the medal may have been awarded 2-3months earlier

I have tried to do some research but as a newcomer to the history of the Great War I am struggling ~ not sure if I'm on the right track but have identified 'D' Battery went into the Ancre sector in February and was in action at Mailly-Mallet near to Beaumont Hamel in March 1917 ~ the battery was then involved in shelling the enemy in Croisilles and Ecoust which were captured 2nd April ~ stage was set for Battle of Bullecourt

As you can see there a lot of possibilities where he may have gained his medal

Do I need to go to the National Archive and try to source the war diaries ????

Will I be wasting my time going ???? ~ I understand information was lost during WW2

Can anyone please give me some guidance as to the most positve route for my search

Look forward to your comments

Thank You

Colin

P.S Thought you might like to see the soldier in question ~ just been looking at the archives and noted Simon R maybe interested in the photograph

post-16032-1161633232.jpg

Hello Colin,

I've just had a quick look at the 62nd Div Artillery History. It doesn't give much more detail than you already have, but it dates his award as 6.4.17. Along with three others, his was the first MM awarded. I would guess the action would probably have been in the week prior to this date. Great photo.

Hope this helps

Ron Hartley

Hello Tony,

The badge above his pocket is the Imperial Service Badge. Worn by Territorial Soldiers indicating that they have volunteered for overseas service in the event of war.

Regards

Ron

I can't help with your actual request. However the 312th Brigade RFA ended up in Germund (near Cologne) Germany in 1919.

My Grandfather transfered to the 312th in January 1919 from D/281. I have a photograph of some of the brigade!

Bob

Thanks Ron

The information you have referenced seems to be quite specific ~ does it actually mention Drv Willie Ellis by name with you stating he was the first of the three to receive the medal

If so is it possible to have a copy of the particular extract from your reference source

Regards...Colin

Colin

The photo I mention in my previous post is already posted on the forum.

Search for "Highland Division Photo, Germund Germany 1919".

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the additional information ~ it all helps to build the overall picture

May I ask you to have a look at my attached photograph and see if Drv Ellis appears in any of your brigade photographs presuming the photographs are of the 312th brigade or would this be too difficult to identify him if present

Regards...Colin

Colin

I only have a couple of photos The others are probably of the 281 Brigade. Although I can recognise two others in the Germund photo. They all look very haggard compared with the earlier photo. Could your man be at the back second from the right?

I have just checked the 281 Brigade War Diary and my Grandfathers Diary. I got my dates a little wrong. It was on 6/4/1919 that 3 Officers and joined the Highland Division, 4 Officers joined the Light Division and 48 OR proceeded to the 2nd Army RA Reinforcement Camp in Germany.

Bob

Tony

Reference your enquiry relating to the 'Imperial Service' badge ~ I have just bought one to frame with Drv W Ellis medals ~ have a look !!!

Regards..Colin

post-16032-1161730814.jpg

Hello Colin,

Just spotted your message, I'll try to send you a scan of the relevent page tomorrow. Out of interest do you know where Ellis was from ? Just to clarify, it does mention Drv Ellis by name and number and stating he was one of four to receive the medal on the 6.4.17

Regards

Ron

Hello Ron

Drv Ellis was from Barnoldswick Nr Skipton and he listed in the 'Cravens Part In the Great War' book under Honours and Awards ~ look forward to seeing the scan tomorrow

Thank You

Regards.. Colin

Colin,

Thought you might like to know:

6/4/1917, position Bullecourt, Achiet Le Grand. A mine exploded at 10.12 pm in ERVILLERS, causing casualties to D/312 Bde. Driver Ellis and Gunner Leaf of D Battery 312 awarded Military medals for conspicuous Bravery.

Major F. H. Lister OC.

Note that D/312 was originally B/313 Bde, transferring across on the 24/6/1916. 313 Bde arrived in France on the7/1/1917 with 62 Division.

Regards Paul

I am also researching a member of the 312nd Brigade RFA:

785507 Gunner Walter HASLAM was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving with A Battery, 312 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (2/4th West Riding).

He resided in Sheffield. The MM was gazetted on 13th March 1918.

Is he mentioned in the 62nd Division Artillery Record also?

Mark

[London]

Mark,

He is mentioned on the page for Jan 1st 1918 of the official war diary for the 312 Brigade RFA. His service number is mistakenly hand written as 785597 Gnr Haslam. It says it was given for gallantry at operations commencing 25th November 1917 on the Cambrai front. PM me if you want the page with your email.

Regards Paul

Hello Colin,

Would you please PM me with your email address ? I'll send the scan via email. Paul has come up trumps with the War Diary entries, the date I quoted appears to be the date of the action. You stated that Drv Ellis was from Barnoldswick Nr Skipton, I'll be going over to Skipton to research some men in the near future. I'll have a look to see if he is mentioned in the Craven Herald if you like.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Paul

The information you have provided is absolutely wonderful ~ it's really appreciated

As a new member to the forum I cannot believe the help you guys have given me in such a short time ~ there is certainly a wealth of knowledge and information out there

Many thanks to all those involved ~ I hope in the future I too can contribute and help someone in their quest for information

It's a wonderful forum

Regards...Colin

Colin

You may be interested in - and get some help from - a project in Craven which is aiming to update 'Craven's part in Great War' on the internet. As a Barnoldswick man, Driver Ellis would certainly qualify. The official launch is on 11 November 2006, at Cracoe Memorial Hall, near Skipton. The website - www.cpgw.org.uk - will at some stage include relevant local newspaper cuttings, as well as the original CPGW article. Your photograph would certainly be a welcome addition to his personal file.

Steve

Colin

You may be interested in - and get some help from - a project in Craven which is aiming to update 'Craven's part in Great War' on the internet. As a Barnoldswick man, Driver Ellis would certainly qualify. The official launch is on 11 November 2006, at Cracoe Memorial Hall, near Skipton. The website - www.cpgw.org.uk - will at some stage include relevant local newspaper cuttings, as well as the original CPGW article. Your photograph would certainly be a welcome addition to his personal file.

Steve

Thanks Steve

Interesting bit of information ~ I'll have a look at the website

Regards...Colin

Mark,

He is mentioned on the page for Jan 1st 1918 of the official war diary for the 312 Brigade RFA. His service number is mistakenly hand written as 785597 Gnr Haslam. It says it was given for gallantry at operations commencing 25th November 1917 on the Cambrai front. PM me if you want the page with your email.

Regards Paul

Thankyou Ron and Paul for the online and offline information you have provided.

Mark

Hello Paul,

Could I trouble you to have a look in your 312 Bde RFA War Diary to see if a Captain Tom Ramsden Kenworthy RAMC gets a mention, around May 1917. His MIC indicates he was attached to 312 Bde RFA and he was awarded the MC around this period. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ron

Ron,

Unfortunately I cannot find a mention of a Capt. Kenworthy in the diary for 312 Bde. I have the year from entry Jan 1917 to Jan 1918. I searched from Feb 1917- July 1917. This brigade was certainly in the thick of it during this period, on one occasion in April it reports 15 guns suffered direct hits. Numerous Officers and men are mentioned in it. However there is only one incident of note for May that might be a suitable candidate.

26/5/17, at St. Mein. Time 1.30pm.

Explosion at D Battery causing death of Capt.H. B. Gallimore and 10 other ranks. Lt. G Hardy and 3 others seriously wounded. (over written at later date- later died of his wounds) Fire caused by a spark from firing gun that ignited the overhead fishing net camouflage. It spread to the gun pit. Officers and NCO hurried to extinguish it with earth and spades. 3 minutes later the shells exploded. One gun destroyed and another damaged. Incident caused CRA order to be issued that if future fire occurs men are to evacuate and not try to extinguish it.

Mjr. F. H. Lister CO 312 Bde.

Possible he was one of the Officers who helped?

Regards Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks very much for your efforts in looking for Capt. Kenworthy in the diary for 312 Bde. I was hoping he might have got a brief mention. Just my luck ! Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron