Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
kevinrowlinson

Military hospital at Wakefield?

kevinrowlinson

I have been trying to help someone uncover his fathers service history and I was intrigued by attached PC. Although sent to the wrong address and forwarded, it was obviouly given to the writer. I have looked on TLLT under hospitals but do not see one at Wakefield. Anyone heard of soldiers being sent there?

Regards Kevin

post-14294-1161628163.jpg

Tony Lund

There must have been several. This whole West Yorkshire area was splattered with little hospitals, Holmfirth’s started in 1914 with one trained nurse and fifty volunteers from a first aid course. It went from six beds to over fifty. In 1916 a much larger war hospital was built in Huddersfield in addition to the existing hospital. It must have been the same in Wakefield, which was the centre for the West Riding County Council and a city.

It would need a through search of the wartime Wakefield newspapers to find all the details, but Wakefield could not have been without these hospitals.

Tony.

bigronhartley

Hello Kevin,

The address in Wakefield is probably some spacious mansion that was given over by the owner for use as an auxiliary hospital during the Great War. These were often manned by Voluntary Aid Detachments or the St John Ambulance Brigade. Wakefield Library will probably be able to help. East Leeds War Hospital is now

St James' Hospital, Leeds.

Hope this is of help.

Regards

Ron

auchonvillerssomme

Wentworth Terrace is still there, in St Johns. I will drive past later today and see if Wentworth House still exists. I have a feeling it does. Its was a very affluent area with many large houses.

Interestingly the nursing home, Clayton Hospital, very close to that location was endowed by SIR EDMUND & LADY STONEHOUSE IN MEMORY OF THEIR SON LIEUT. RONALD STONEHOUSE R.A.F. KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE 1 APRIL 1918. The nursing home is being sold off and we are trying to make enquiries about what will happen to the plaque.

During WW2 Pinderfields Hospital was used as a military hospital and the wooded huts are still used, for admin and teaching.

Mick

kevinrowlinson

Thanks Mick, Ron and Tony for your imput. I would have to agree that there must have been many more hospitals being used than are recorded now. I wondered whether because it was not on the list, on TLLT, that it may be of interest. I am not near Wakefield so my research into this particular place would be inpractical. The only thing I found on Goggle was it was the home of the Heywood family and later a girls school.

Regards Kevin

auchonvillerssomme

Wentworth House does exist it's now a consultancy business.

Mick

Doug Johnson

If I remember rightly the LLT did not attempt to list all the hospitals as there were just too many. There was a cut off point at some level but I can't remember what that was. Convalescent hospitals were generally not included.

Doug

auchonvillerssomme

What interests me in this case is the fact that it was big enough to have a ward. I will do some digging. Now look what you've done..you've set me off!!

Mick

BJanman

Hi Guys

There was a hospital in Wakefield. I have it listed as Wakefield Aux, 100 O/Rs. LGB part. It was an affiliated hospital to the 2nd Northern General Hospital, TF.

Does LGB mean anything that can help you in your search Mick?

Barbara

kevinrowlinson

I do not know Wakefield but having found that Wakefield House still exists I wonder what the rest of the address refers to viz. St Johns ??? Hospital. Was Wentworth House affiliated to the local hospital?

Kegards Kevin

Before anyone shouts I meant Wentworth House.

Kevin

auchonvillerssomme

unable to find much more. wentworth house treated 3,131 in patients and 297 outpatients.

Mick

kevinrowlinson

Thanks for that Mick.

I don't know how you even got that information. Compared to other hospitals it may not seem a lot but still worth mentioning.

Trying to piece together what happened to my friends father is an ongoing project. Without his service records it is of course difficult to find out much, but every little helps.

What always strikes me was how good the post was then. I have never read anything about what the soldiers thought about the postal service, except perhaps if they hadn't received any, or whether they took it for granted.

Regards Kevin

auchonvillerssomme

I have an interest in that particular area of wakefield. adjacent to wakefield house is a building endowed by a family in memory of their son who was killed in 1918. the building is in the process of being sold by mid yorkshire hospital trust and the plaque removed (being kept in safe hands) it may be possible to dedicate a ward in the new hospital being built in the area.

Mick

kevinrowlinson

Quote, "being kept in safe hands"

Yours I hope.

Kevin

auchonvillerssomme

Chief Directors office.

Mick

Chris Best
I have an interest in that particular area of wakefield. adjacent to wakefield house is a building endowed by a family in memory of their son who was killed in 1918. the building is in the process of being sold by mid yorkshire hospital trust and the plaque removed (being kept in safe hands) it may be possible to dedicate a ward in the new hospital being built in the area.

Mick

Opposite QEGS Junior School?

I escaped Wakey 42 years ago. On a recent trip I photo'd the QEGS WM and noted the names on the Memorial there. I didn't see any names on the City (wasn't it a town back then?) WM so called in the Town Hall where I looked at The Book of Remembrance. I asked if there was a typed up list. There was not.

So, slightly off thread, but using the Wakefield link, do you know whether either School or Corporation ever produced a Roll of Honour? If not, there could be a good research project coming up. Or is there one on the go?

Cheers

Chris

PS: like your avatar. Was that your mob?

auchonvillerssomme

I pass QEGS every day on the way to and from work and its a lovely memorial, I asked at the archives if there is any info and they say not, i have no idea what the school has but I work with one of the 'old boys' so will ask him to give them a call for me.

The list of wakie memorials is here

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~framland/warind.htm

Mick

auchonvillerssomme

I was RAMC, all over the place from 1980 to 1990.

Mick

John W

ON a similar subject I know that there was an amount of work done on the Silcoates School old boys who died the stuff is kept in a room at the school for those interested.

John

Chris Best

Cheers Mick, that's an excellent site, not just for the military stuff but from the general, family history perspective. I note that quite a bit of work has already been done on QEGS names. Perhaps I'll confine myself to photographing cemeteries, memorials, graves and names.

80-90, eh? Hmm, for me: Sennelager, Verden and Hohne. 82 - Millbank. 83-85 Colchester. 85-87 Canada.

87-89 Colchester. 89-90 Mytchett.

Cheers

Chris

Ray Purcell

I am doing research into my late fathers ww2 service and can cogito he was admitted to Pinderfields military hospital in 1941 following the sinking of the  DEMS vessel SS Bangalore after a collision with another ship the Richmond Castle . My father Rowland Thomas Purcell  ended up in the ocean in polluted water and was hospitalised on return to the UK.