Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

K.S.L.I. Soldiers

Annette Burgoyne

Hi John, yes I took your advice and joined The Great War Discussion Forum. Both this forum and the WFA forum are a god send to someone like myself, what with three kids, a split shift job and the captain of our local hockey team I do not get much time to go to research centres. I will be makeing many posts in the future.

Regards

Annette :)

Hello Annette,

James KERRY , Private 36722 10th Bn., King's Shropshire Light Infantry kia 21/9/18 formerly 16/26692 Notts & Derby Regt. From Beeston, Notts.

Thanks Stuart, for info. on James KERRY. I should have added to my original post that I have the Soldiers Died CD, sorry my brain was not in gear.

Thanks again Stuart for taking the time to look up this Soldier.

Annette

Annette - I know you're interested in tracking down KSLIs who survived but wondered if you've any info on Pte Arthur Perry, 27007, 1st KSLI and who prev. served with the Cheshires. SDGW gives him as died of wounds 1/6/17 - presumably at No1 Casualty Clearing Station. Any idea what action (if any) the Battalion might have been upto?

John B)

Annette,

The following are from some notes taken years ago. All Shrop. L.I. and should be survivors but check CD just in case. Town is usually place of residence.

Stuart

Atkinson WR 18375 Belper

Bamford H Lt Glossop

Butt A 17232

Easthope BS 14521 Belper

Foxall T C.S.M. 8027

Gibson F 33711 Derby wounded

Graham W 7333

Hodgkinson H 22396 Ashbourne

Hughes-Hallet Cpt Wounded

Marrin M 15465

Meynell G Mjr (TLCol) CMG comm. S Btn Yorks L.I.

Meynell RAL Cpt 5Btn

Steventon A 6737 Wound badge

Taylor T 7049 Alfreton

Tyler A 10900 Derby wounded

Wheeldon George. Wounded 6 times from Middleton by Wirksworth

Woolley AE 26140 Ashbourne wounded

Yes, John, I would say Pte. Perry, died at No 1 Casualty Clearing Station.

THE 1st K.S.L.I. made a raid on three lines of trenches between Herring and Hendon Alleys, west of Hulluch, on 1st June 1917. Two officers, 1 C.S.M., and 110 other ranks made the raid, covered by 20 Riflemen & Rifle Grenadiers, under a Sgt.

All objectives were reached and identifications secured, two dug-outs blown up. Casualties- 3 other ranks killed, the two officers, the C.S.M. and 11 others ranks were wounded (one of the officers died that day) at least sixteen Germans lost their lives too.

Now I do not know how far, No 1 Casualty Clearing Station, at Chocques, is away from the line at Hulluch but it is possible that Perry was one of the wounded from the raid. The Battalion went into line on the 27th May, the War Diary records that there was considerable shelling of the support companies on the 29th and 30th but makes no mention of casualties. One officer and three other ranks were wounded the on the 17th May, the previous tour (the officer died next day).

Thanks Stuart, for the info. on K.S.L.I. men, just what I am looking for.

Regards

Annette

Annette

Here are some details about KSLI men which appear in the "Coventry Roll of the Fallen." I have omitted the details which appear in SDGW.

L/Sgt Ernest Raymond Bunker, 6th Bn. Born 6th July 1884, Lower Clopton, Mickleton. Gloucstershire. This is at odds with SDGW. Resided Coventry. Occupation,Labourer. Kia at Mericourt, nr Arras.

Pte Albert Edward Layton 1st Bn (SDGW shows 7th Bn). Born 9.6.1887, Shrewsbury. Occupation, Professional soldier.

Pte Arthur William Tyler Teague, 1st Bn. Born 1894. Resided 16 Stanley St, Coventry.

Pte George Frederick Ward, 7th Bn. Born 4 Sept 1887, Coventry. Resided 67 Yardley St, Coventry. Occupation, Hardener. Reservist.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

Annette,

I found the following poem written by Serjeant JH Price KSLI Written in the trenches near BEAURAINS, on June 16th 1916.

Goes as follows:

"WIRE"

"AN APPRECIATION OF OUR COMPANY COMMANDER"

We have a captain brave and bold, who really is worth until gold,

Until one fault he did aquire, Namely; Putting out barbed wire

Each morning just about "Stand to" The periscope he will look through,

But it is not the land he will admire, He's really looking at the wire,

Each night when he goes to sleep, In his slumbers he will creep,

Round the dugout near the fire Searching, dreaming of barbed wire.

Our Colonel is quite a toff says the men have done enough

but the captain amswers him,"No Sire" another 50 rolls of Wire.

The G.O.C came round, and quickly said "Well ill be bound, the ruined churchs broken spire, youve hidden with so much barbed wire.

We have rifles, mortars, bombs and guns but these he says wont beat the Huns. The only thing that i require is Old Lloyd George to send me wire.

We've put out 50 thousand rolls, enough to reachg to both the poles, But as it mounts up higher and higher he still keeps saying, "Put out more Wire"

Now perhaps one day a shell will come and blow him straight to kingdom come, Where the crown for which he did aspire, will not be gold or thorns But WIRE.

I found this poem in the archives of the Regimental headquarters of the Light Infantry in Winchester while researching the Somerset Light Infantry.

I also found some letters form Sjt Price describing some of the action he saw but did not take copies, i hope this can be of some use to you.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I get the feeling that Serjeant Price was not keen on wireing. I found a short note by him on his first experance with tanks on the 15th Sept. 1916, at the I.W.M.

Steve can you tell me more about the archives of the Regimental headquarters of the Light Infantry in Winchester, do they have an e-mail address.

Regards

Annette

Annette,

The archives in Winchester are not extensive, but they do hold information on all the 5 former Light Infantry County Regiments. On my last Visit the curator advised me that i would benefit from visiting the county offices where much more info is held. The info held in Winchester is mainly books and articles. I found the poem amongst some papers of the Somersets so i did not really look into the KSLI. You can find out the details of how to contact the differant offices at the light infantry web site. In addition to the poem while browsing the net i came across a photo of a large group of KSLI Soldiers, the quality is not brilliant. If you want i can send you a copy via e-mail.

Steve.

Hello Annette.

Glad your search for K.S.L.I guys,is going so well.

Read today,traitor that i am,that the K.S.L.I were also in the first wave during the Normandy landings in 1944.

Obviously a top notch outfit.

Regards.

Simon.

Hi Simon

The 1st Battalion were among the last out of Dunkirk as well. The K.S.L.I. lads were good British Soldiers in both wars, they went forward when told to and fell back when told to, stock troops of the British Army but I am bias.

Regards

Annette

• 4 years later...
Any info. on men who served in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry would be greatfully received.

Annette Burgoyne :)

Hi Annette..

I'm looking for any info on two of my ancestors.. Frederick Yapp 7thBn KSLI Killed 18-08-16 and Harry Yapp 1stBn Killed March 1918.. Would love to know if you have any info on either even if by the dates of death an battlion numbers you could give possible area's or conflicks they were kill in

Many Thanks

Haydn

Hi Haydn

Welcome to the forum. I will post reply to the above in your other post in my database thread. Have a look at Eric's post in that thread, he must be related.

Annette

• 5 years later...
Guest heatherp

Any info. on men who served in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry would be greatfully received.

Annette Burgoyne smile.gif

Dear Annette Burgoyne, Someone in the National Archives recommended us to contact you. I have a First World War medal which I would like to restore to the family of the soldier concerned, who served in the KSLI. It was amongst my Great Aunt's papers and I do not know anyone of the name in our family.

The details are as follows

Archie E L Harris 12888 KSLI, Private and of the Labour Corps 665880, Private

It is a First World War Victory medal, so not a rare thing, but some family might be proud of it.

That is all I know.

Is it possible that you could help me. Thank you

youngone

Hi youngone

I can not help you, the only info. I have is the same as you, the only thing I can tell you is that he either enlisted in Wellington or Shrewsbury (his number falls bang in the middle of two big batchs who enlisted in the two towns) but this does not mean he lived in the town of enlistment, he could have been working in area or passing through, so of no help. Harris is a common name so you have a big task on your hands.

Sorry I could not be of help & good luck in finding his family

Annette

Hi Annette

I wonder if you have any information on a man who is listed on the War Memorial in the village of Corsock in Dumfries & Galloway.

L/CPL. THOMAS EDGAR, KSLI

He was born in 1900 and (on one source) enlisted in August 1918.

He survived the war but died of TB in 1923 - so no CWGC listing - and I have been unable to find a Medal Index Card.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken

I have not come across L/cpl Thomas Edgar, and I have about 95% of K.S.L.I. M.I.C. or more. If he enlisted in August 1918 then it's very unlikely he went overseas, I have the details of a few men who enlist/mobilised in July 1918 and landed in France in the November but none who enlisted/mobilised in Aug 1918 seem to have gone overseas (but I could be wrong). Do you have his Regimental number, I would think it's 45***.

Annette

Hi Ken

I have not come across L/cpl Thomas Edgar, and I have about 95% of K.S.L.I. M.I.C. or more. If he enlisted in August 1918 then it's very unlikely he went overseas, I have the details of a few men who enlist/mobilised in July 1918 and landed in France in the November but none who enlisted/mobilised in Aug 1918 seem to have gone overseas (but I could be wrong). Do you have his Regimental number, I would think it's 45***.

Annette

Annette, thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you - there's been a strange warm light in the sky and I've been studying it B)

Like you I suspect he did not go overseas (hence no MIC) and I'm afraid I don't have a service number. It's just a puzzle as to why a boy from this neck of the woods served with the KSLI and somehow made L/Cpl.

If I ever get to the bottom of it, I'll let you know.

Cheers

Ken

Hello Annette

While researching my grandfather's history with RFA and sorting out his souvenirs I've come across a BWM that does not belong to him but 19077 PTE A. Morris KSLI. Any information would be appreciated, maybe there's a rightful owner somewhere?

Regards Mal