Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Old Soldiers etc.', Frank Richards, look up - or other

Andrew Hesketh

I'm looking into the death of 2nd Lt. Arthur Chaplin Banks, 'B' Coy, 2nd RWF, of Abergele / Llanddulas in North Wales. He was killed in the fighting that resulted in the Red Dragon Crater on 22 June 1916.

He gets mentioned in J. C. Dunn's 'The War the Infantry Knew' and I wondered if Frank Richards, or any other source, gives him a mention. If so, would any kind pal be willing to offer me the details or relevant scans? I'm not after the story of the event, just any mentions of 2nd Lt. Banks.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew

From 'Grumpys' edition page 121

'One young officer of 'B' who had escaped the mine had been killed in the fighting; a dagger had been driven up to the hilt in his belly'

Second Lieutenant Arthur Chaplin Banks. He had joined the Bn on May 19th 1916, and was 20 years old when he died.According to his Sgt, PB Roderick 8749 DCM, Banks had never been in a trench before.

Hope that helps a bit

Glyn

PS Tom Morgan is selling the HB version for 9.95 -great read mate. ;)

Yes, I do keep meaning to buy a copy.

Thank you very much for that look up which provides unfortunately gruesome detail. May I ask if there are annotations / notes which prove that this is Banks? It's just that the quote merely refers to 'one young officer...'.

Once again, many thanks.

Andrew

Should have confirmed that 'One young officer...........' is annotated (10) and then the details of Banks are listed at the botom of the page under (10) - In my opinion the book is well annotated as the related info is on the same page rather than searching elsewhere in the book.

Glyn

I'm sure that old Grumps will have annotated correctly and well!

Roderick's account of the stabbing of Banks in the abdomen is repeated in Dunn, though the 'dagger had been driven up to the hilt in his belly' is new to me.

Thanks again.

Just answered my own question. Yes it looks as if this very brave young man was the nephew of Arthur Chaplin Banks. Arthur Banks who died in WW2 was the son of Charles Chaplin Banks the older brother of Arthur Banks (WW1) by two years. Arthur (senior) and Charle's father was Charles P. Banks who was a Brewer from Kendal.

Myrtle

Here you are:

Second Lieutenant Arthur Chaplin Banks. The relevant PRO file is WO 339 52929. Banks arrived with 2RWF 19 May 1916 and was killed in action a month later on 22 June at the age of 20. Arthur was born 9 February 1896 and his father, Mr CP Banks, appeared on the Birth Certificate as a brewer. However, his father next appears as the schoolmaster and owner of Arnold House Preparatory School, Llanddulas, Denbigh, where, naturally enough, young Arthur received his early education. He then attended Shrewsbury School and joined the OTC. He had two brothers, one of whom also attended Shrewsbury. Banks junior applied for RMC admission for the November-December entry 1914 and his documents show that he was 70 ½ inches tall, chest expanded 39 inches, weight 135 pounds with a ‘slight cardiac lesion which is compensated for’. After RMC he was commissioned into RWF 16 June 1915. His death was in dreadful circumstances in the aftermath of the blowing of Red Dragon Crater under B Company. The Germans attacked immediately, and in the hand to hand fighting he died with a dagger up to the hilt in his belly, according to Richards. Second Lieutenant Banks was buried on 26 June at Gorre Beuvry British Military Cemetery. His effects comprised:

· two tiepins

· notecase

· bank pass book

· two cheque books, counterfoils only

· letter writing case

· wallet containing photographs and letters.

The impossible takes a little longer. This from my book Duty Done.

Grumpy - a magnificent and thorough response for which I am enormously grateful. Naturally I shall not quote word for word and I shall give a proper acknowledgement of the source but, with permission, I would like to reproduce the facts in the booklet I am preparing on the local war memorial - the same one with which you provided sterling help in relation to Frank Jones-Bateman a few months ago. Please advise if this is against your wishes.

Myrtle - our paths cross again Sherlock! Your deduction, once again, proves faultless. The man you refer to is indeed his nephew. Thanks for the link which provides another passing reference for the booklet mentioned above.

I'll see how it goes, but I shall certainly credit you and your book. Many thanks.

You have probably seen this site but just in case you haven'tLINK

Of course I hadn't! I rely on you for the dirty work!! :P

Thanks Myrtle.

Of course I hadn't! I rely on you for the dirty work!! :P

Thanks Myrtle.

The GWF Laundry or as it's known in my part of London; Soapsud Island. :P

Myrtle