Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W E (Ned) Barnie , Royal Scots

eltoro1960

Just thought I would post Ned's story. He was born in Portobello,Edinburgh and served both in the Royal Engineers and the Royal Scots, winning the Military Medal in the process. He was a brilliant swimmer and was the first Scotsman to swim the channel, and the first man to swim the channel in both directions. Apparently in 1932 he swam over 200,000 lengths of Portobello pool and was the oldest man to swim the Channel for 28 years. He swam in the sea every day until he died on Christmas day 1983. He must have been hard as nails.

Can anyone tell me how/where he won his MM.

Medal card of Barnie, William E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Scots 18795 Acting Serjeant

Royal Engineers 106986 Corporal

Thanks

Cheers Coldstreamer, agree its a typo and him , thanks.

Original member of McCrae's Battalion and a regular (right to the last) at reunion dinners. He was almost as broad as he was tall. Immensely powerful - even as an old man. He typified the athletic ideal of the 16th Royal Scots.

glad its the right person

glad its the right person

Here is a picture of Ned from the Edinburgh Evening News of 1955, he is getting ready to swim the Firth of Forth...again! As Jack says about as broad as he was high, :)

end right ?

• 2 years later...
Just thought I would post Ned's story. He was born in Portobello,Edinburgh and served both in the Royal Engineers and the Royal Scots, winning the Military Medal in the process. He was a brilliant swimmer and was the first Scotsman to swim the channel, and the first man to swim the channel in both directions. Apparently in 1932 he swam over 200,000 lengths of Portobello pool and was the oldest man to swim the Channel for 28 years. He swam in the sea every day until he died on Christmas day 1983. He must have been hard as nails.

Can anyone tell me how/where he won his MM.

Medal card of Barnie, William E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Scots 18795 Acting Serjeant

Royal Engineers 106986 Corporal

Thanks

Hi John I was so happy to find Ned Barnie here. His father and my Great Grandfather were brothers. During WW2, my father was able to sit down with Ned, for a visit. I will ask my Dad if there is anything he can add about Ned. Pat Reid (Canada)

Hi John I was talking to my Dad about Ned Barnie. The last time they met was 1973. Dad didn't know why Ned received his Medals during WWI. Dad said that Ned was born Caithness, not Portobello. Pat

Hi Pat

I was just browsing through posts today and noticed your replies, I didn't get notified presumably as the thread has been dormant for so long. I couldn't argue that Ned was born in Caithness as the info I had came from an old story in the Scotsman,he was quite a character and a fine example to us all. Jack Alexander has met him on a number of occasions and speaks highly of him, praise indeed.

John

John,

We know the Royal Scots.

What individual members,of the Regiment,brought to it,and did afterwards,we should not discuss.

The Regiment is the most important.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John Just wanted to let you know that I have added Ned Barnie's uncle (William Barnie) to the forum. After leaving Scotland...homesteading in British Columbia...he signed up to serve in the Canadian Army during WW1. The sad thing was ....he was murdered after coming home. Pattron

• 10 months later...
Hi John Just wanted to let you know that I have added Ned Barnie's uncle (William Barnie) to the forum. After leaving Scotland...homesteading in British Columbia...he signed up to serve in the Canadian Army during WW1. The sad thing was ....he was murdered after coming home. Pattron

I Think my great grandad John Barnie? was related to Ned, do you know his fathers name?

sincerely kirstin price