Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Restoration of Vimy Ridge Memorial - and closure?

Hedley Malloch

An article in today's La Voix du Nord carries news of a major restoration to the Canadian memorial on Vimy Ridge.

The problems are those of stained and rotting stonework which requiring the replacement of 300 square metres of stone facing. This amounts to nearly 25% of the whole construction. The problem has been caused by a failure of the drains installed under the edifice when it was first constructed. Rainwater now cannot drain away from the stonework.

Investigations have revealed other problems such as bad joints, the use of an inappropriate cement and (most interesting) inscriptions not done to the required style. A number of black marks here for Allward, the Canadian architect who supervised the monument's construction?

Repairing the memorial will take two years and work will start next Spring. The Canadian Government has ear-marked 20 million Euros for restoration work of all Canadian memorials in Belguim and France; the Vimy project is expected to use most of it. The stone used for repairs will be quarried in Croatia (from whence, I think, the original stonework was obtained) and cut to size at Vimy;

The article also states that while the work is in progress the monument will be covered in tarpaulin and will be closed to visitors - but visitors will be able to watch the masons at work.

Hedley,

you are correct the origianl stone did come from Croatia, at least that's what I was told when I visted Vimy earlier this year. Apparently, it has worn so much because it is in an exposed area unlike where the original stone came from in Croatia

Due to the close proximity of the Lens and neighbouring industrial conurbation, I am surprised that a more durable stone was not chosen. On the other hand industrial air polution should now be on the decline, and the stone facing should last a lot longer this time around.

Bearing in mind that there are still many people alive from when the monument was first built, just imagine what state the lungs of local people must be in.

Tim

The news report does not mention air pollution pinning the blame on the drains instead. But it is true that the stone was chosed for its weathering quality rather than its durability. Allward, the architect, thought that the white would mellow to the golden colour he observed in the ruins of the palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian where the stone was also used; the long-term colour is what attracted him to use it.

Hedley.

Is there a firm date on the start of this project. I am heading to that area in late May Early June 2004 will it have started by then

Rob. B

All that the article says is from Spring 2004 onwards. You need to contact the visitors' centre at Vimy. I am sorry but I don't have the number or a website address.