Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

14 minutes ago, MartH said:

Hi Charlie,

Yes I do want to know something special, what are the dimensions of the pages. In the latter public volume, the pages are shrunk compared to the other volumes of Krieg Zur See. 

Martin,

I‘ll send a few e-mails and ask the question, it may take a few days to receive a reply though.

Charlie

Charlie thanks. Do you have the new critical edition of the last volume of the North Sea?

5 minutes ago, MartH said:

Charlie thanks. Do you have the new critical edition of the last volume of the North Sea?

Yes I do, the book and the map case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2019 at 07:15, charlie2 said:

Yesterday a very nice copy of the 1965 „Der Krieg in der Nordsee“ Vol 7 arrived from Austria. From the feel and looks of it, it has never been opened never mind read. I am told this and the other post war volumes - Der Krieg in der Ostsee Vol 3 and Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten Vols 4 & 5 had a print run of 500 or less. I would be interested to know if this is correct.

Hi Charlie the print runs of Der Weltkieg 1956 Volume 13 and 14 were 500 each and took till 1975 to sell them out. It is likely that the other post war Volumes were 500 too, 500 prpbaly was the minimum print run.

• 2 months later...

This is a small booklet ( 80pp) printed by Chatto & Windus in 1918 . It contains some of Robert Nichols' poems from 'Ardours & Endurances ' 

which was published the year before . I can only find print on demand copies available on line , it's quite fragile so i expect not many copies 

survived the hundred plus years since it was published . The front cover illustration is by the war artist C.R.W Nevinson .

the assault (forum) front.jpeg

I have one which was my grandmother's - it was without cover so a friend did an art binding for it. I've posted that before, so I'll see if I can find it

Assault.jpg

Edited by seaJane
Alterations.

30 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I have one which was my grandmother's - it was without cover so a friend did an art binding for it. I've posted that before, so I'll see if I can find it

Very nice !

• 1 month later...
On 01/04/2020 at 13:06, Black Maria said:

This is a small booklet ( 80pp) printed by Chatto & Windus in 1918 . It contains some of Robert Nichols' poems from 'Ardours & Endurances ' 

which was published the year before . I can only find print on demand copies available on line , it's quite fragile so i expect not many copies 

survived the hundred plus years since it was published . The front cover illustration is by the war artist C.R.W Nevinson .

I missed this when you first posted it. Very nice. Never come across it before.

This has just come in the post from America. I’d always assumed that the first few editions of Sorley’s ‘Marlborough’ didn’t come with a jacket, never having come across one in nearly 50 years of collecting War poetry. It’s a fairly thin affair which might explain its scarcity. It only cost $40. I dread to think what a certain London dealer would charge for it.

3C1F080B-3C0B-4127-BA69-0DE2DB56FB38.jpeg.8bd722b1a1f9c46dd992f8733173d041.jpeg

Well done Alan a great buy and a great price ! I'm glad you've seen my post , i wasn't sure if it was a rarity but now i know you haven't seen it before i 

know it must be :)

Edited by Black Maria

i was fortunate to pick up a copy of "letters from germany and the army " one of 60 but alas no jacket 

9 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

i was fortunate to pick up a copy of "letters from germany and the army " one of 60 but alas no jacket 

I doubt it had one being privately printed.

• 2 weeks later...

Lady luck smiled at me and brought me Der Weltkrieg vols 13, 14 and the vol 14 map case from Sweden today. All for a very, very reasonable price. The text volumes appear to be unread and the maps to vol 14 are still in their original binding/strap. 

As a point of interest did vols 13 & 14 come with a dust jacket? 

424D2BC3-781F-4C27-92D5-D1027BD49C51.jpeg

Lovely lovely! :wub:

Now that's a question did any German OH's come with DW's?

39 minutes ago, MartH said:

Now that's a question did any German OH's come with DW's?

yes they did, I‘ve only seen two for sale, both of which were from the Vols 1 - 12.

44158E8F-71C4-4C55-927B-8A0BFDD971F5.jpeg

Wow

Charlie are they in your collection?

58 minutes ago, MartH said:

Wow

Charlie are they in your collection?

No, fortunately not. I‘m afraid if I bought it I would become obsessed with the probably impossible task of finding all the rest with a DW. :)

The one pictured is for sale, near mint condition with DW and slipcase

https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30133461400&searchurl=hl%3Don%26prl%3D30%26pn%3DMittler%26exactsearch%3Doff%26prh%3D55%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sortby%3D3%26tn%3DDer%2Bweltkrieg%2B1914-1918%26an%3DReichsarchiv%26recentlyadded%3Dall&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title22

The other one I saw was part of a very over priced set of vols 1 - 12

Charlie

On 20/05/2020 at 14:23, charlie2 said:

just in case it was someone on here who has bought it (Mart ?), volume 9 complete with DW and slipcase is also for sale at a very reasonable price

https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Der-Weltkrieg-1914-1918-Band-9-mit-allen-Karten-Skizzen-und-Anlagen-im-Schuber/id/A02hm1E401ZZF 

Edited by charlie2

4 hours ago, charlie2 said:

just in case it was someone on here who has bought it (Mart ?), volume 9 complete with DW and slipcase is also for sale at a very reasonable price

https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Der-Weltkrieg-1914-1918-Band-9-mit-allen-Karten-Skizzen-und-Anlagen-im-Schuber/id/A02hm1E401ZZF 

Oh temptation! Very nice, not yet bought but interesting!

10 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Not sure they send to the U.K. Lack of German a bit of a handicap, although that hasn’t stopped me buying the volume you mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Not sure they send to the U.K. Lack of German a bit of a handicap, although that hasn’t stopped me buying the volume you mentioned.

Nice one :) Any problems with the post to the UK, let me know I‘d be happy to forward it on to you.

• 1 month later...

Today’s post has bought this little gem which I’d always thought would be a permanent gap in my collection of Official Histories. The virus lockdown has meant long delays in international post and I was beginning to think it had gone beneath the waves. Only 50 copies of this ‘Confidential’ issue were bound up (another 150 copies marked ‘Secret’ were sent to India). I don’t know which is scarcer but I’ve not seen either copy in years. Rather nice leather binding too.77781B09-36B3-4829-9D35-5358CAA2BB71.jpeg.effdf21c78ddb8667764514bee6aff77.jpeg4D3C2A38-43AF-45C9-9B24-7837ED1A55C8.jpeg.53a66b5f56daa960cd497bdf3a6dceea.jpeg

Well done Alan , it's not my field of interest but i know how special that feeling is when you finally get the book you've been searching years for . 

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

Well done Alan , it's not my field of interest but i know how special that feeling is when you finally get the book you've been searching years for . 

Thanks John. The last copy I saw must have been ten years ago with Harringtons who I think wanted around £3500 for it. Couldn’t believe it when this turned up on ABE in Australia for a couple of hundred. I think it’s been bouncing around the Pacific for the last month or so!

2 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks John. The last copy I saw must have been ten years ago with Harringtons who I think wanted around £3500 for it. Couldn’t believe it when this turned up on ABE in Australia for a couple of hundred. I think it’s been bouncing around the Pacific for the last month or so!

Sometimes being an ultra rare book can be an advantage as the seller hasn't got other copies to compare prices . I bet you were glad when it finally turned up ,

i think I've only had one book book go astray and ironically it was Talbot Baines 'Missing' :)