Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

12 minutes ago, Resurgam13 said:

I bought the one with the dust-jacket offered by Turner Donovan in October 2003. I'll try to locate it and add a scan of the cover (according to my notes the spine panel had been replaced with brown paper tape).

Brilliant, I look forward to seeing it. I spoke to Tom and he couldn’t recall having sold it. (In my case I often can’t recall having bought things!)

After all that, the jacket is fairly boring (probably to be expected with Stockwell).

Never-Again-by-Gregory.jpg

Well that blurb wasn't very inspiring, but i suppose by 1934 people were growing weary of books about the war . 

I must have been reading the wrong memoirs as I’m yet to come across the ‘lurid sexual images’.

48 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I must have been reading the wrong memoirs as I’m yet to come across the ‘lurid sexual images’.

Can't think of any either , mind you it didn't take a lot to offend people back then ( a bit like nowadays ! )

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Can't think of any either , mind you it didn't take a lot to offend people back then ( a bit like nowadays ! )

That said I’ve just remembered ‘The German Prisoner’ by James Hanley, probably the most revolting book I’ve ever read.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

That said I’ve just remembered ‘The German Prisoner’ by James Hanley, probably the most revolting book I’ve ever read.

Oh yes , i remember you mentioning that one before . So such books did exist , even if they were the exception rather than the rule . 

This is one you won't easily find a copy of , ' Plain Impressions ' by A.S.G Butler , published by The Aeroplane & General Publishing Co in 1919 .

A pre-war horse-artillery driver in the H.A.C he was commissioned in the R.F.A  in January 1915 , wounded in December 1915 and buried by a 

shell at Arras in April 1917 . During that period he was in charge of a battery for two months and Brigade Adjutant for five months .

It's a small book measuring 17cm x 11cm and only 95 pages . Very flimsy in construction with very thin paper , it's no wonder that not many copies

have survived . My copy is rather worn and marked with splitting joints,  but as they say 'find me another one' .

plain impressions.jpeg

Very nice and new to me. Did you know of this one before or did you just stumble across it?

No Alan , it was in a TD catalogue in 2003 . You've heard of it too :whistle:   

I have ordered and am awaiting a rare book, Vol. I Naval Operations revised, 1938. Text and map Volume. Now I have the text, but this appears to be the revised Map volume with 4 maps redrawn. Can't wait. 

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

No Alan , it was in a TD catalogue in 2003 . You've heard of it too :whistle:   

Memory not what it was.

28 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Memory not what it was.

Join the club . Rare books are a bit like buses , i got this one today as well . ' The First Battle of the Tanks ' by J.H Everest , printed by Stockwell in 1942 . I've seen one

other copy on ABE in the past but it was a bit too pricey at about £200 . This thread gives a bit more detail about it . 

The image is a bit indistinct but it shows the title and author , a tank and price of 3 bob net and the name and address of the publisher .

first battle of the tanks.jpeg

I clearly had a bit of luck with Turner Donovan in 2003 as I bought "Plain Impressions" as well as "Never Again".

1 hour ago, Resurgam13 said:

I clearly had a bit of luck with Turner Donovan in 2003 as I bought "Plain Impressions" as well as "Never Again".

I had only been collecting for a couple of years then so neither books were really on my radar . Maybe if i'd known how long it would take to find other copies they would have been !

• 2 weeks later...

It has arrived from Australia, The rare Naval Operation Revised edition, with the extremely rare map volume volume and at least 4 redrawn maps. May even post in reasons to be cheerful too!

image.png.706327ff35ff13c7687ca11e62c540b4.png

1 hour ago, MartH said:

It has arrived from Australia, The rare Naval Operation Revised edition, with the extremely rare map volume volume and at least 4 redrawn maps. May even post in reasons to be cheerful too!

image.png.706327ff35ff13c7687ca11e62c540b4.png

Not bad, Martin, but you really need the jackets, as here .........FE96C5E0-D812-4029-B093-75BE438CA3EE.jpeg.996686448fa4ff78d7db65cb5198dc2a.jpeg

Nice Alan

But it does not have the Important revisions bit as per the Volume III revised

image.png.a0ffe342e411f6ee1aac938309f65635.png

I have the revised Vol.3 but no jacket. Do you know which maps are revised in the volume you show?

I had not realised there were revised editions of Naval Operations.  Interesting that the volume 3 cover says "Important revisions". The revision dates  of publication appear to be 1938 (Volume 1) and 1940  (Volume 3), is that correct?

Were Volumes 1 and 3, as posted above the only revised editions?  Did the revised Volume 3 have a separate volume of maps?

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen,

Vol III second edition was printed in 1940, my copy has a note inserted regarding the maps. My maps have notes affixed with corrections.

Charlie

A0273E93-861A-4E19-A497-669A768DD8DC.jpeg

0C3EA1E6-24F5-4348-868D-F9851B681CA1.jpeg

I have posted before in this thread about the revised Naval Ops.

Earlier Post about Naval Ops

I now believe four  of the maps in Volume I were redrawn, 5 & 6 and 9 & 10.

Thanks charlie2 and MartH for the information.

I see there were facsimile reprints of Vols 1 and 3 revised editions, by Imperial War Museums/ Battery Press in the 1990s. Does anyone know whether the current reprints from Naval & Military Press, which are available online on fold3 (pay website) contain the revised editions? https://www.fold3.com/browse/310/hTGb85NZ8wIfXXI19n_VjuTiC (Naval & Military Press don't provide details and I don't have  a fold3 subscription)

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

13 hours ago, MartH said:

I now believe four  of the maps in Volume I were redrawn, 5 & 6 and 9 & 10.

Thanks Martin. I’ll check them out.