The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Medal Group - Research

marksimner

Hi all

I have a Military Medal group (with War Medal and Victory Medal) from WW1. I have tried finding the recipient's service records at the National Archives but it seems they havent survived. I do have a copy of the MM entry in the London Gaztte, his MIC and medal roll but thats all.

Can anyone suggest any other avenues to finding out a little more about the recipient. I know nothing about him which is a shame.

For those interested his MM is named to: L-39224 GNR: D. JACKSON. A 180/BDE: R.F.A.

Cheers

Mark

Well, he was with A Battery, 180th Bde, RA. You could search through the War Diary to see if there is anything on him. I'm not sure which numbered army the 180th was assigned to. I'm sure somebody here would know. Artillery brigades were assigned to divisions until 1917, when they were assigned directly to a numbered army.

I'm in the same boat you are. I have a MM trio to a Sgt in the 150th Bde. I went to Kew years ago and copied a smattering of diary pages just to show where he went. Do the numbers match between the MM and his war medals. Mine have differing numbers since he was TA. Also, did you get his MM MIC?

-Ski

• 2 weeks later...

I do have his MIC and LG entry as well as is MM Award Card. But thats all. Asked my usual private researcher to find any entries in the war diaries - hope something turns up or otherwise I'm a bt stuck here.

Also recently bought an MM group to a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Thankfully this is proving a little more fruitfull :)

Regards

Mark

• 14 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum, @marksimner hasn't visited the forum for a couple of years. You could try sending him a private message.

Michelle