Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers' mess today , backside, dining hall still the same as above and then, located on left side of building

post-80-0-34177500-1357298389_thumb.jpg

Street that leads to officers' mess

post-80-0-95515700-1357298482_thumb.jpg

Egbert, you truly are the now/then photo king of the forum :thumbsup: Im a bit late joining this thread, but another superb collection of photographs.

Sean.

Against word of honor the officer PoWs received a permit to visit local pups or restaurants, like this one next to the camp, or just strolled along the streets

post-80-0-90704100-1357488565_thumb.jpg

Hello, i'm a a mechanic-on-line crewchief in the FAF. My great-grandfather was a POW in Wahn camp.

I used to study his history a few years ago.

He was a soldier inthe 293d french IR and began to be a POW the 13d february of 1916 in Champagne.

Then he was in Wahn camp before going to work in a german farm at Bornhan near Wissen z. Sieg.

I've got a picture with him and the german family. The farm is still existing and, with the help of my cousin's wife (she's geramn), we have found the grandson of this family.

inconn10.jpg

I've got some picture of my grandfather and his friend in the camp.

When i see the picture now and in 1916, the barracks are the same 1 century after.

groupe11.jpg

My great-grandfather is siiting and he's the secund since the right.

I try to find a lot of his life in the camp.

There is a military cemetry in Wahn. Have you seen some graves of soldiers from the 93 or the 293 IR?

Thanks a lot for your help.

François

.........Then he was in Wahn camp before going to work in a german farm at Bornhan near Wissen z. Sieg.

There is a military cemetry in Wahn. Have you seen some graves of soldiers from the 93 or the 293 IR?

Thanks a lot for your help.

François

Bonsoir Francois, glad to be of help.

I live some 20min away from Wissen, but do not know of any "Bornhan". Could you please be more specific where it is, maybe a small hamlet? Maybe even post a picture of the farm?

W/r to the cemetery: I have posted in one of the early pages of this thread a complete list of French soldiers who are buried there. Please download, zoom-in for better viewing and check the lists.

Hello Egbert

here is a map with Bornhahn in the north-east away from Wissen.

bornha10.jpg

And below a picture of my great-grandfather with the german family (Kemper) in the farm.

famill10.jpg

When my cousin met the grandson of the family, he could recognize and find the name of each people on the picture.

And i'm going to study the name of the dead french POW.

Friendly

François

• 7 months later...

Hello Egbert. I have just found some of your threads and I am finding them very useful. I have recently discovered that a man from our town (possibly two) were POWs at Wahn-Schiessplatz in November 1914. I am having trouble finding out whether he returned to England as the records are incomplete. Do you know whether there are any surviving lists of POWs from that year? Please may I add a copy of one of your postcards showing English prisoners to my website?

Sheridan

• 4 months later...

I am once again researching Wahn, as I am planning a trip to Europe and wondered where the POW camp is located. My grandfather was an Australian POW 15 April 1917. Im not sure for how long but I am fascinated by the research you have done Egbert. You have given us so much information and pictures and so much of your time.

I see that it is impossible to visit the site where the POW camp was (sadly) but I would like to know if there is a memorial for the public to visit close by? If there is an opportunity for a visit, I will put this into my trip.

Thank you very much. Are you still working there?

Kind Regards

Catharina, I sent you a PM. Access is possible. Location see the google aerial. If you need more info , contact me per PM or email

Sheridan, sorry did not see your post. I am afraid no lists available here.

Hi Egbert just found this topic great photo's.you must have a great collection of photos on lots of subjects. always great to look at thanks

985acoy

• 2 years later...

hi

super post and great photos....my grandfather was wounded and taken as a pow early on in the war and i had recently come across a bit of info that suggest that he may have been here in the early days.i have found him on the red cross site but only as an internee in Switzerland from 1917..

so i have no real records of him anywhere else prior to that apart form clutching at the few straws that i have found...

he was Pte.Maurice Wiliiam Reeves 7791 1st btn wiltshire regt.he was wounded fairly early on and is listed as a pow on a list that was compiled on 25th dec 1914..

just wondering if you have come across him at all in you research...

best regards

john reeves

Pte.Maurice Wiliiam Reeves 7791 1st btn wiltshire regt.he was wounded fairly early on and is listed as a pow on a list that was compiled on 25th dec 1914..

just wondering if you have come across him at all in you research...

best regards

john reeves

I am afraid that - no never came across your Gf

Hello

As a recent member, I only recently found this thread.

I am researching a particular event, and a rather anecdotical one, that took place in Wahn PoW camp in october, 1916 (and in a number of other camps during the war, but I focus on Wahn).

Does there exist some kind of journal of the camp in the archive ?

Thank you for your answers.