Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paul, the bldg in the background suggests to be one of those from Nordlager as seen here in 1919

Egbert

As always you have a great collection of interesting photographs.

Keep posting please.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Last Sunday was German Remembrance Day and the small cemetery within Wahn A.F.B. saw the annual ceremony with wreath laying service

post-80-1258387021.jpg

The great fighter pilot Gunther Rall, when asked why he had fought in the second world war replied, " My country, right of wrong". I believe this is why most soldiers fight. And even if some were enemies in wartime, those soldiers who survive should remember all those who died. This is what the great Attaturk did after the WW1. To-day, the Turks see to the graves of all their former enemies. I salute all who do this.

• 11 months later...

The PoW cemetery saw the German Catholic military chaplaincy celebrating a memorial service at Wahn A.F.B. with blessing of the graves on 2 Nov 2010

post-80-012136200 1288815098.jpg

post-80-028523100 1288815187.jpg

• 5 months later...

The photos of the zouaves are amazing. The 1914 photos are like something out of another age compared to photos taken later in the war period.

Is it only me or do many French soldiers look older than their counterparts in other armies?

• 1 year later...

I have found some more postcards/photos from PoW camp Wahn and will post them here. Continuing this thread with a group of 1915 PoW Zouaves.

post-80-0-01300500-1357140511_thumb.jpg

British PoWs presumably 1914

A couple of soldiers are wearing the Scottish tam'o'shanter, so the image must post-date 1915 when it was introduced. But what makes you think they are POWs? The large red cross flag in the background suggests this is some sort of medical camp, backed up by the fact that several of the men are wearing "Hospital Blues".

A couple of soldiers are wearing the Scottish tam'o'shanter, so the image must post-date 1915 when it was introduced. But what makes you think they are POWs? The large red cross flag in the background suggests this is some sort of medical camp, backed up by the fact that several of the men are wearing "Hospital Blues".

This PC was given to me with reference to Wahn. Although with this particular PC I am not 100% convinced it is Wahn, as I recognize a church tower in the background that I do not know of being there.