Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This year's Volkstrauertag (German Remembrance Day), 16th of November, on Wahn Air Force Base included a wreath laying ceremony to honor the PoWs buried here. Wreaths were laid by the Base Commandant and representatives from the City of Koeln (Cologne)

post-80-1227029204.jpg

Thanks, Egbert, as ever, for posting pics of this year's floral tributes at Wahn on Volkstrauertag. Artificial poppy wreaths are enduringly symbolic, but the German tradition of beautiful fresh flower wreaths is very moving indeed.

No, Egbert, I think that the transience of fresh flowers (they bloom and in time they fade) is very fitting. Perhaps next year you should also post a pic from the other side - showing all the people who gather for this annual ceremony.

Thanks Egbert for posting all these photos and information. You've done a great job. What a beautiful thing that all those lost people are still remembered after all this time.

Indeed SuziQ; had been there this morning -lonely graves in great shape despite no NOK remembrance anymore. For the Russian PoW graves I doubt there were ever any known NOK

• 1 month later...

Hello Egbert,

Once again you have amazed me with the great photo's you have access to. I notice there was no Australian POW in your photo's and am wondering why.

John

The cemetery today comprises of Russian , French and German graves only. The fact that no Austrialians were mentioned in the pictures lies most likely in the fact that all British, to include dominions, were universally addresses as "Englaender" by the Germans

• 5 months later...

Today I saw a demolition crew destroying a house dating back to even pre GW. This is the original picture

Then

post-80-1246380794.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry it has taken me so long Egbert, but this photo is meant to be Wahn barracks. Men of the 4th Royal Sussex Regiment there in 1919.

4017455960_887f27153c_b.jpg