Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thanks for posting all these photos Egbert. My great-grandfather was at Wahn in December 1916, probably in the hospital as he was wounded before being captured.

Gavin, finally a reward for the time consuming pic taking. Thanx for your appreciation! In return I thank you tonite with a Wahn hospital pic "Then & Now", stand by.....

Hi Egbert, and seasonal holiday greetings. Thanks for the series of 'then and now' pics — amazing how little has changed in some cases. Shame about the hospital, which also looked a fine building. Do you know why it was demolished? Old hospitals are generally not suitable for modern medical needs, but they often make very good housing or office accommodation.

Are you able to show us 'then' and 'now' aerial photos of Wahn?

Hope you're enjoying Christmas in your new home and preparing for 'einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr'.

Mick

Thank you Egbert ! For all your time and effort ......... I love seeing the before and afters !!

And thank you for the fascinating threads this year !!

I wish you a wonderful New Year !

Annie :)

Much appreciated, thanks Mick, Gavin, Pete and of course Annie.

For sure I have some more in the drawer.

Here is another one from around WW1 days. It once was the main gate and the street inside the camp was called Kuechenstrasse (kitchen road).

Then 1911

post-80-1167293917.jpg

Think I prefer the old gates.

Good stuff egbert.

Danke.

We were missing you here already!

Yes that's a sad development. There are still some 10 buildings from 1900 and there is no money to preserve them, so they will rot beyond repair/renovation and another architectural jewel will be gone

Egbert,

Entertaining, as always. Seems the trees have grown a lot in the intervening 80-90 years!

I am always interested in the camera lens perspective - the old pictures make the buildings look quite different in size/spacings between compared with today's images. I think the old time cameras had fixed focus lenses that keep everything in focus, irrespective of distance

Season's greetings.

Ian

The last pictures shown remind me of the old hit song:

Vor der Kaserne, vor den grossen Tor,

Stand eine Laterne und steht sie noch davor.

So wollen wir uns da wiedersehn,

Bei der Laterne wollen wir stehn,

Wie einst Lilli Marleen, wie einst Lilli Marleen.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's concentrate on the "Nordlager" today, the PoW camp for the British and French soldiers.

This is a contemporary photo of Nordlager

post-80-1168092064.jpg

...and this is a contemporary drawing of Nordlager. The yellow angle shows the viewangle of the following NOW picture

post-80-1168092488.jpg