Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In recent threads about PoW camps in Germany, I found considerable interest from various pals in the Koeln-Wahn PoW camp. As I work on the grounds of the former PoW camp since October , I took some pictures of this hidden piece of tranquility today. These are rare pictures because the area is not accessible for the public. Today it is part of Wahn AFB and is restricted area.
In the middle of today's Cologne-Wahn AFB there is a nice, well maintained PoW cemetery with mostly dead from nearby former Great War PoW camp Wahn. There are French, Russian known and unknown marked graves and also quite a few German ones. Even today, after so many years, each Remembrance Day (Volkstrauertag) a delegation of Luftwaffe-soldiers of all ranks gather on the grounds of the cemetery and pay tribute to the dead and lay the wreaths. The military catholic priest and Lutheran pastor each hold a speech and prayer as does the base commander.
I suspect that the British PoW dead have been relocated at a later point in time to Koeln-Sued cemetery.

When I took the pictures today I was surprised of the fresh wreaths and flower bouquets, although Volkstrauertag is only to come in November. For you the foreign friends- this serves as an outstanding example how Germany honors the dead of former hostile countries in dignity. Even without any civilian guests visiting the graves, they are not forgotten by us and are remembered by German Armed Forces personnel.

For orientation please see this sat pic

post_80_1158799808_1_.jpg

And this is something very special: the memorial for the two main mutineers of the 1918 sailor's mutiny in Kiel on ships of the Imperial High Sea's Fleet. They had been sentenced to death here and shot at dawn after their trial:

Reichpietsch, Max, * 24.10.1894 Charlottenburg, + 5.9.1917 Wahn near Köln, Matrose, Revolutionary; he served on the battleship "Friedrich der Große" and acted as leading agitator and organizer of the High Sea Fleet’s sailor/seaman revolutionary movement in summer 1917; together with Albin Köbis he prepared the mutiny

25. August: A Wilhelmshaven based war tribunal imposed 5 death penalties against mutineers and against several others multiyear prison terms. The CiC of the fleet pardoned 3 death candidates; 23 years old Oberheizer Max Reichpietsch and 25years old Heizer Albin Köbis were shot at dawn at Wahn/Wahnerheide,

27./29. October 1918: Begin of the mutiny on ships of the High Sea Fleet

post-80-1160678760.jpg

Thank you Mark!

Yesterday I thought it would be somehow appreciated to post actual pics from PoW Wahn, as there was lots of interest in another thread about Wahn. But I am proofed wrong! The dissapointing lack of interest is not worth to continue with the time consuming pic- resizing, -cropping etc work. I will not continue posting pics and GWF postcards of Wahn PoW here.

Thank you Mark!

Yesterday I thought it would be somehow appreciated to post actual pics from PoW Wahn, as there was lots of interest in another thread about Wahn. But I am proofed wrong! The dissapointing lack of interest is not worth to continue with the time consuming pic- resizing, -cropping etc work. I will not continue posting pics and GWF postcards of Wahn PoW here.

Well I, for one, am interested, Egbert! I've only just spotted the thread - give it a few days and it might grow yet. There are a number of fascinating snippets, like the mutineers and the WW2 unknowns, here that I was unaware of. Thankfully my grandfather isn't there, or I wouldn't be here.

Adrian

Phantastic Pictures Egbert !

I wonder why so less people are interested or give any comment

Yours sincerely

Malte

Malte very simple: because there are no British graves.......