Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entente pilots views on parachutes

BlackSeptember1918

With the introduction of the Heinecke parachute , there must have been some interesting conversations in the British and French mess's on the use of the parachute by the Germans . I have read about the reasons why British pilots were not issued chutes , and also about the impracticality of most chute design's for aircraft . I've also been told about the design weakness's of the Heinecke . I do remember a few French pilots being quoted as saying they would refuse to carry a chute because they thought it was a sign of cowardise ??!! .

Has anyone read any sources that indicate what the Entente pilots thought when they saw the Germans using chutes ? , or any comments on the subject as a whole . Also is there any recorded cases of German pilots being shot whilst decending in their parachute ? .

For me this subject seems to be a little bit of a grey area , or perhaps it's just that I haven't purchased the right book on it yet ? ...( The wallet starts to tremble at the thought of more books being added to the wish list ....I find the wish list turns into the MUST HAVE list !! , after a few cold beverages ...and usually wake up in a haze in the morning to be greeted by an order comfirmation email from amazon listing the 10 books I apparently ordered after I got home from the pub ! ) :)

Phil.

Phil,

A.G Lee, in Appendix C to "No Parachute" examines the question in detail. He is stinging in his criticism. He takes pains to point out, however, two things.

1. That the Official Records show that no one man was responsible for denying pararchutes to aircrew.

2. Absolutely no evidence exists that "Official" sources originated the view that they were contrary to morale.

I have never seen reference to a pilot being shot whilst descending in WW1 (and precious little in WW2, at least the Battle of Britain.)

CiTARs of 1918 vintage often take the opportunity to mention (with more than a hint of venom directed at those higher up) "pilot parachuted from EA".

Calthrop, whose design was repeatedly stalled, wrote in 1919 that "No one in high quarters had any time to devote to investigating the merits of and appliance whose purpose was so ridiculously irrelevant to war as the saving of a life in the air.

Hardly an answer but you could always buy the book you tight fisted %&%$&*&*

:P

regards

Darryl

No Parachute ....righto mate , I'm on to it ...just blowing cobwebs out of wallet as we speak :)

Oneday when we are having an email yarn I'll send some info on the unofficial orders the yanks had about shooting 262 jet pilots in their chutes in the second one .

Philratio.

Phil,

Cheers, like to see that. Of course I have never been one for "PC", a pilot over his own lines is a perfectly reasonable target in my view.

BTW, with No parachute a few of the dates and events are a bit rubbery, never use it as an only source for research!!

regards

Darryl

Have found a decent copy . Same place I got High in the Empty Blue from . Kiwi's are usefull for something ...so it seems :P

Phil.