Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eight Non-Commemorations needing attention.

Neil_York

Morning Andy

Seeing as post #4 has been heavily amended, I can't really comment on it (except as my earlier posts) as I can't recall the precise details.

I note that you strongly agree with Chris' post. As you'll have seen from my post #22 - I don't. If he was not keen on formalising some form of collaboration, seeing as I raised the issue with him off-Forum , it'd have been nice if he'd responded off-Forum, rather than in public. But no matter - I have a thick skin.

As I said earlier, I think the ideas I'd raised with him and Terry are non-starters.They relied on a significiant number of participants and, at least, a semi-formal structure within the Forum.

As to you "bothering", when you posted that you "had bothered to respond", you added a "smiley". As such, I hadnt appreciated that you had actually wanted me to reply further. My apologies and I'm happy to rectify that. Thank you for posting and making your contribution to the discussion - it was most helpful for me in drawing my thoughts to a conclusion. I'll forget about non-commemorations and just get back to researching dead Stopfordians.

John

I have been followıng the posts vıa my handheld Blackberry whılst here ın Turkey (excuse any errors as I am now usıng a Turkısh keyboard ın a bar wıth some strange dıfferences - the keyboard that ıs!).

I am saddened by the turn thıs thread has taken and my thanks to Chrıs for ıntervenıng.

Thıs sectıon of the Forum ıs meant for the seekıng and provıdıng of factual ınformatıon ın order that the Forum may assıst ın gettıng any non-coms theır due recognıtıon.

To use ıt for personal argument or to expound personal vıews about people, organısatıons or groups does no servıce to anyone - not least to those that are stıll mıssıng theır commemoratıon.

Neıl has posted the names of some men that look lıke they need attentıon and we should concentrate on gıvıng assıstance wıth theır cases. Nobody ıs oblıged to help or advıse. There ıs plenty of other research to be done.

As my appearance here wıll be sporadıc over the next few days, I may not be able to contrıbute tıll next week but I shall be readıng all posts as I saıd.

Please respect the purpose of thıs sectıon of the Forum.

Gents, for the sake of decorum and Chris's web space there is a delete button. if you are in agreement any off topic posts can be deleted . I will add Im not just prying but do have a lost relation that seems to have evaporated in to thin air and would like him commemorated with his 3 brothers.

Please respect the purpose of thıs sectıon of the Forum.

Noted.

I'm out of this discussion and will not raise the subject again. I'm convinced that the suggestions I put to you off-Forum are non-runners. No need for you to consider them further as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

John

It is hard fact that the CWGC are still short of many names of men killed in action, died of wounds, or died after discharge from a cause attributable to service.

When I started researching the RND casualties of the Battle of the Ancre in 1998, I was surprised to find two who were not recorded by the CWGC (AB Burleigh St. Muir Hannam RNVR & Pte. Gordon Archibald Honiatt RMLI). They were accepted by the CWGC within a reasonable time frame. I thought I’d better check further & turned up three more RND killed in action at Gallipoli (Pte. James Jennings RMLI, Pte. Harry Jackson RMLI & AB Edward Graham RNVR). After some hiccups, these three were eventually accepted by the CWGC. Unfortunately the floodgates then opened & I discovered a multitude of RND men (& others) missing from CWGC records.

My point is, that there is a job to be done. The large numbers of men that have been found missing from CWGC records in recent years prove this.

Most forum members list their fallen kin every time they post. This is their tribute to their memory & the very best that most can be expected to do. They see to it that their names ‘be not forgotten’. They surely also respect the memory of all of the Great War “Fallen” to no lesser degree.

This is an opportunity to actively do something for many victims of the Great War. Our duty to remember is now rivalled by a duty to those “left out in the cold”. This has got to be the most important task of our time. A better use of TNA Great War records would be hard to find. The devotion & expert knowledge given to Great War enquirers on this forum could easily achieve as much for the ‘Forgotten Men’.

Terry Denham’s initiative in founding this co-operative is giant leap forward & with him aboard, you have a guarantee of success in all respects of this, the most noble task for Great War researchers.

Back from hols... but, as I was about to board the plane in Turkey, CWGC emailed me with news re 2/Lt ADAM in Neil's original post. See 'In From The Cold 16.10.06' thread today.

Further to John's post above... Thanks for the testimonial, John, but you go overboard. There are no guarantees in this task for anyone!

This and the following two posts contain details of a further three non-commemorations with supporting documentation. (Sorry, but I am unable to include them all in this post because of attachment size restrictions)

The first, Johnson, was found when his 1915 trio and medal forwarding slip came up for auction on ebay. Parrington and Paynter were found through untraceable death plaques.

1. 9517 Pte. Alfred Robert JOHNSON, RAMC. Died 3.5.20 of fractured skull, (Shell wound 1917) Formerly 80718 Gnr. RFA.

2. 3527 Pte. Richard PARRINGTON, 3rd/5th East Lancs Rgt. Died 13.6.15.

3. 409647 Pte. Christopher PAYNTER, 37th Battn. Canadian Exp. Force. Died 19.1.16.

Neil

post-1469-1161423368.jpg

Neil

Thanks for the info.

By posting the material here, I assume you wish GWF to put them forward. If so, it will be done.

Terry

Yes please.

Apart from the items included in my post we have full service papers for Johnson. PM me if you'd like them mailed to you along with full death certificate copies for all three.

Regards

Neil

2nd Lieut. John Christie SMITH. 6/Notts & Derby KinA 21.3.18. CWGC aware for 3+ years. No apparent progress.

This thread has become somewhat difficult to follow, presumably as a result of some serious 'pruning'. However, I am interested in the man above. I have nothing to offer, except to note that he is listed in ODGW.

Good luck with your work Neil.

• 1 month later...

I understand the following men in my opening message have been dealt with or are in progress.

George ADAM.

Sykes DOBSON.

Frederick GRAHAM.

Thomas LACEY.

John LAURIE.

John LINEHAN.

Does anyone have news of the final two on the list?

Captain Robert Evans MOREHEAD.

2nd Lieutenant John Christie SMITH.

Thanks

Neil

• 4 years later...