Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red & X Farms

Annette Burgoyne

Hi All

Can anyone give my the map references for Red and X Farms near la Chapelle d’Armentieres, I have a map of this area but those two farms are not shown.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Annette,

Hope this may help

X Farm Cemetery is 1 kilometre South of the village on the West side of the road to Bios-Grenier, between the road and a site of a farm. It was begun in April, 1915 and used until June 1916, and it was sometimes called "Wine Avenue". It was intended to take the place of Desplanque Farm Cemetery. It contains the graves of 105 soldiers from the United Kingdom and 8 from Australia.

VLAMERTINGHE is a village and commune in the Province of West Flanders, on the road and railway between Poperinghe and Ypres. It became the centre of a number of medical posts and cemeteries ; and in April, 1918, in the Battles of the Lys, a new cemetery was established near the "Red Farm", just North of the main road, halt a mile North West of Brandhoek.

( Info and map sketch from www.silentcities.co.uk)

post-4-1068328994.jpg

Annette.

Below is a map extract showing Red Farm, near Vlamertinge.

Were you actually looking for a Red Farm near la Chapelle d'Armentiers? If so, I also can't find one, but there is a "Red House" about two miles north of Bois Grenier. Also, following the directions given in the Silent Cities, there exists a farm at about the correct place that goes by a name other than "X". This could be it. It's possibly just been mapped under it's French name.

Hope this is of some help,

Dave.

post-4-1068335275.jpg

Thanks Hussar & Dave

It is Red Farm near la Chapelle d’Armentieres that I am looking for. I should have explained myself more but was in the middle of my work on 1st K.S.L.I. and did not want to break away from that for too long as I was in the flow so to speak. In the past when doing my work I come across the odd thing which I not sure of, and I think some on the forum will know that but in stead of stopping and making a note I carry on working and then forget what it was that I was not too sure of :blink: so I made the post in a rush so that I could get back to working.

Anyway here is the full details - the 1st K.S.L.I. held the line covering la Chapelle d’Armentieres, the War Diary mentions many places, most I have found on my map but could not find Red and X Farms.

Thanks

Annette

Annette.

I still can't find a "Red Farm" in the area. Could it be the "Red House" that I mentioned earlier?

Looking at the Michelin CWGC overprinted map, it seems that the "X-Farm" cemetery is pretty much in the same spot as a farm named "Fme de la Hallerie" on my trnch map of the area. This farm is also located near a cross-roads ("X" roads ?), making me think that it's a distinct possibility that "Hallerie" and "X" farms are one and the same.

Dave.

I've just noticed. I'm now nearly 99% certain that Hallerie Farm actually is "X" Farm.

Desplanque (or Desolanque) Farm ,as mentioned in Hussar's post, is only a few hundred yards away from Hallerie. If "X-Farm" cemetery was intended to replace Desolanque Farm's cemetery, then it makes sense to choose a nearby location.

Dave.

Hi Dave

X Farm may not be de la Hallerie Fm, the war daiary records the Battalion distributed as follows - two companies to the right of the Lille road, two platoons to the left of Lille road, one platoon at du Biez Fm (I've got that on my map), half a platoon at X Farm, half a platoon at de la Hallerie Fm (which I have on my map) now there is a un-name building just south of it and Wine Avenue starts from it, which fits in with Hussar info. So I am now 99% sure X Farm is the building at map ref. I.14.b.75.50.

As for Red House, may be or Red Farm could indeed be very near it ? I have several unmarked building in the area.

Thanks again for you help

Annette

Hello Annette,

I was in La Chapelle d'Armentières yesterday.

I went near Desplanque Farm Cemetery and X Farm Cemetery. I spoke with a man who lives near X Farm Cemetery. He says to me there was a farm between La Hallerie and Desplanque Farm at the crossroads of the road Bois Grenier-La Chapelle and the railway (X), more or less at the place of X Farm Cemetery. Look at the map below.

I don't know if that can help you.

Nothing on Red Farm.

Annie

post-4-1068685184.jpg

Hi Anni

Yes I also think this X Farm, its marked at I.14.b.75.50. on British trench maps. As for Red Farm, I have the feeling thats its near la Chapelle d' Armentieres, because I think it was billets to the reserve company of battalion hold the line. And X Farm, Desplanque Farm and de la Hallerie hold the support platoons.

Regards

Annette