Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Piggins MC & bar

Mark Abbott

Does anyone have any info on this chap? His mic indicates his service number as 10005 and that he was Commissioned on the 30.10.1917.

MC Gazetted 13 May 1918

Bar Gazetted 22 June 1918

Any information would be of help.

Mark

Don't know whether you have his MC citations, but what the heck. They are nice citations anyway:

MC:

LG 13-5-1918

T./2nd Lt. Harry Piggins, ,S. Staff. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of a fighting patrol of ten N.C.Os and men. He left eight of the party outside the enemy's wire and with two N.C.Os approached a post which they found to be occupied by five of the enemy. They at once attacked the enemy and killed them all. Leaving one N.C.O. to cover their advance, he then made his way down a sap with the other N.C.O., and after advancing some thirty yards they encountered and killed two of the enemy who were standing outside a small "pill-box." At the sound of firing three more of the enemy came out of the "pill-box" and attacked them, and these they also killed. He was then forced to withdraw owing to the approach of a party of about twenty of the enemy. He showed magnificent courage, initiative and determination throughout the enterprise and obtained much valuable information.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Bar:

LG 22-6-1918

T./2nd Lt. Harry Piggins, M.C., attd. S. Staff. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in charge of a fighting patrol which was lying out in front of our wire in order to obtain an identification, he was fired on by a strong enemy patrol on his way back to our lines. Immediately leading his men to the front line trench he opened fire with a machine gun on the hostile patrol which was attacking the trench with bombs. He then climbed out of the trench, accompanied by a few of his men, and advanced towards the hostile patrol, which finally retired, leaving one man dead and one wounded man in our hands. Throughout the whole operation he showed exceptional initiative, and by his courage and skilful handling of the situation he was instrumental in obtaining a prisoner and an identification at a time when it was of the utmost importance that one should be obtained.

(M.C. gazetted 13th May, 1918.)

Also, link confirming his Commission:

Commission date is 31-10-1917, as MIC usually shows date "Discharged to Commission".

Steve.

Harry Piggins joined C Coy 7th Btn South Staffords 16/1/18. Awarded his M.C. 19/3/18 and Bar to M.C. 9/4/18. He was demobed 9/4/19.

Harry is mentioned in the Btn war diaries on at least 14 occasions. Unfortunately I do not have the diary to give you further info.

Regards Doug.

• 1 year later...
Guest nprince
Does anyone have any info on this chap? His mic indicates his service number as 10005 and that he was Commissioned on the 30.10.1917.

MC Gazetted 13 May 1918

Bar Gazetted 22 June 1918

Any information would be of help.

Mark

Hi, Harry Piggins was my wife's grandfather. Born 1892 in Walsall he was a photographer by profession before the Great War. I have a copy of his confidential service character report. This lists him as home between August 12th 1914 and 30th June 1915 then at Gallipoli 20th June 1915 to 14th February 1916. wounded and gazetted 24th - 1915 and 9th August 1915. Commission temp 2nd Liet 30/10/17 then service abroad 10th January 1918 "to date" This document is dated January 5th 1919. I believe he took his camera to war in spite of the prohibition on doing so and I have seen some of the photos he took which are with my mother in law at present. I understand that Harry did not really do too well after the war and suffered with ill health dying in the early 1950s. Hope this informaiton is of some interest. ARe you related or researching the regiment? Regards Nigel Prince My email is princes_england@yahoo.co.uk