Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Doultons memorial

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

A while ago I posted the picture of the memorial to the fallen from both wars at the main entrance to the now defunct Royal Doulton building in Nile St. Burslem, Stoke on Trent.

The building has been set on fire 5 times, the roof has caved in and the building is in a terrible state but the memorial is still in perfect condition and has came out untouched by the fires.

I spoke to a councillor last night about the memorial and I was instructed to contact the Lord Mayor of Stoke on Trent which I did this morning. (Friday 6th October). The secretary for the mayor has taken all details of the memorial and is going to do some research as to what is happening to the building and will get back to me.

The secretary has just got back in touch as I was typing the above and I have been informed that St. Modwins (new owners of the building along with the rest of Stoke on Trent for those who are in the know) know about the memorial and have no plans to destroy it. This I had taken for granted but what concerns me is if there is another fire then the building may well colapse and the memorial lost forever.

St. Modwins are going to phone me this afternoon so I will keep you posted.

Kevin

A while ago I posted the picture of the memorial to the fallen from both wars at the main entrance to the now defunct Royal Doulton building in Nile St. Burslem, Stoke on Trent.

The building has been set on fire 5 times, the roof has caved in and the building is in a terrible state but the memorial is still in perfect condition and has came out untouched by the fires.

I spoke to a councillor last night about the memorial and I was instructed to contact the Lord Mayor of Stoke on Trent which I did this morning. (Friday 6th October). The secretary for the mayor has taken all details of the memorial and is going to do some research as to what is happening to the building and will get back to me.

The secretary has just got back in touch as I was typing the above and I have been informed that St. Modwins (new owners of the building along with the rest of Stoke on Trent for those who are in the know) know about the memorial and have no plans to destroy it. This I had taken for granted but what concerns me is if there is another fire then the building may well colapse and the memorial lost forever.

St. Modwins are going to phone me this afternoon so I will keep you posted.

Kevin

How about a letter to the Sentinel? Sometimes just getting an item like this into the public domain puts a bit of pressure on companies to act. The recent articles about the PJM medal for Malaysia and the close proximity to Armistice Day would suggest that the timing was quite good for an 'Old Soldiers' item.

Alan

Kevin,

Did St Modwens call as they said they would? Interested to know how things are progressing.

Liam

I agree about contacting the Sentinel. I would also suggest you contact BBC Radio Stoke and ask them to publicize the issue.

I can sort Radio Stoke - my wife works for them.

Will have a word and see what they can do.

Liam

• 1 year later...
Guest KevinEndon

Latest update on the memorial. St Modwens have had the memorial removed and is stored in a safe place and will be put back up as part of the new development.

I have asked St Modwens if I can go and photograph it whilst its down, I will keep you posted on their reply.

Does anyone know what happened to the memorial which was on the Ancient Brit pub in Tunstall which has been knocked down as it was gutted by fire.

Kevin

• 10 years later...

I was told, a couple of years ago, that the memorial from the Ancient Briton is now with Stoke-on-Trent City Council.

• 3 weeks later...

The sentinel ran an article stating the doultons memorial ha been stolen, this was a couple of years ago, however this thread shows the developer of the site placed in storage, believe St modwen however now not able to locate