Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st and 141st Field Ambulance RAMC

jharrop

I have copies of the War Diaries for 1st and 141st Field Ambulance RAMC. I've been working on some transcription etc.

Anyone else got an interest in FAs or RAMC?

Cheers

Hello

First of all welcome to the forum

I have one casualty on my local memorial from the 141st.

Robert Henry Parry Pte 28074 Died (killed in action?) 10/11/1917

Here's what was reported in our local paper

"Mr and Mrs Robert Parry , Cefn Coch, Gallt y Foel have received news that their son Pte Robert Henry Parry has been killed in France on 10th November aged 23 years. He joined the RAMC at the outbreak of the war and was one of the first to join the Ambulance Brigade from this area. He went to Purfleet on 7th November 1914 and to Colchester Hospital August 1915.He went over to Gallipoli and then to Egypt. In August 1916 he went to France. Last September he went to 14th Field Ambulance Brigade. He was killed while carrying the wounded. A shell struck two of them and he was killed instantly"

Although the article states the 14th he is on CWGC as the 141st

I would be interested to see what the diary says.

I believe that Owen Parry Pte 280175 RAMC (note consec numbers) to be his brother.

TIA

Hywyn

I should add that there are more men of ordinary ranks mentioned in the 141st FA War Diary than usual. This is particularly true of 1919 as operations are winding down. It seems that most SOS transactions are posted with name and s/n. My grandfather, who was a Pte is mentioned along with the rest of the group who were SOSed on that day.

I'll get to the lookup on 141st in the next day or so.

Cheers,

John Harrop

I've attached a pdf version of the entry in 141st Field Ambulance for 10 Nov 1917. It looks like the name you are looking for is in there. It looks like a fairly busy day too. Here is the text:

Casualties passing through unit Sick 5 Wounded. 197

2 Infantry Officers and 143 Infantry O.Ranks proceeded from Irish Farm to report to the Officer in charge of this Unit's Bearers.

Capt A.G.H.Smart., RAMC. and 70 Infantry O.Ranks proceeded at 10 a.m. from Irish Farm for duty with the Bearers of this Unit.

Capt F.Jefferson., RAMC and Capt C.R.MacLeod with 8 O.Ranks RAMC proceeded at 4-30 a.m. from Irish Farm to A.D.Station at Somme Redoubt for duty.

No:M/2. Private R. G. Masters., A.S.C.”MT” was discharged to duty from IInd Corp Main Dressing Station.

No: 74866 Private W. Easterbrook., R.A.M.C. was evacuated to “L of C” from IInd Corp Main Dressing Station.

Two Heavy Draught Horses were sent in to Mobile Section “Sick” and were evacuated from that Section.

150 O.Ranks Infantry acting as Stretcher Bearers were returned from the Advanced Dressing Stn to Head Qrs at Irish Farm for a rest.

The following casualties in the personnel of this Unit occurred on this date:-

No:28074 Private R.H.Parry., RAMC. Killed in action.

No:72342 Private G. Proctor., RAMC. G.S.W. Left Arm.

No.90223 Private K. C. Beeton. RAMC. G.S.W. Rt Hand. Left Heel. Back and Right Thigh

No.56232 Private P. G. Poole., RAMC “Missing” Believed Killed.

Cheers,

John Harrop

141st_10_Nov_1917.pdf

John

Thanks a lot. Excellent stuff which adds much value to recording what happened to Pte Parry.

I see now that you have added your interests to your signature and that RAMC is included. Are you gathering info on individuals? I'm in the process of putting a bit together from my area for Barbara (amongst loads of other promises!) Would you be interested?

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Yes there is one individual I'm particularly interested. That is Private John Charles Harrop 21156. Attestation on 7 Jun 15. Probably with 1st FA. During the occupation was posted to and subsequently SOSed from the 141st. The 1st stood down before the 141st and the remaining men were distributed around the other 1st Div FAs.

His brother Albert Ramah Harrop was also in the RCMA - but I don't currently know details. He made it up to Sgt and was involved again in WWII.

Both were St John's men.

A third brother joined the artillery (RGA S/N 13195) but was later transfered to /2 Royal Irish Rifles (47606). He died (missing in action) 24 Mar 18 - 1st Somme.

I have other military relatives including one who was a Sgt in the Zulu War. I've been working on getting a better story of the units, particularly the Field Ambulances.

I'm working on transcribing sections of the two War Diaries I have. Some of the OCs noted quite a lot about their impressions. Others were very statistical. Some were much more likely to mention ORs. A few included their movement orders in each months appendix. I'm pleased to be able to share results.

Cheers,

John Harrop

To all of you

Very interesting information. Just of point you may be interested in; 141st Old Comrades from WW2 still meet up but are now getting few and far between. On the retreat from Dunkirk it was commanded by Lt Col Glynn Hughes who was RMO to the Wiltshire Regiment in WW1 and was awarded a DSO & MC and even more in WW2 and eventually liberated Belsen Concentration Camp as DMS 2nd Army.

Pete Starling

Pete,

That is intersting info on the 141st Commrades. Is there an official history of the unit at all? Ambulances seem too small to catch published oficial histories.

John Harrop

I have copies of the War Diaries for 1st and 141st Field Ambulance RAMC. I've been working on some transcription etc.

Anyone else got an interest in FAs or RAMC?

Cheers

I have for some considerably time been trying to get information on 46th F.A., it was stationed at BAC-DU-SUD during AUGUST/SEPT 1918, . my grandfather died there on Sept-2-1918. Iwonder if his name appears on the admision lists.--- Christopher lawson, Royal Scots Fusiliers Many thanks. Chris.

The War Diary of the 46th Field Ambulance is in WO 95/1931 at the National Archives. This document is available for copying. I have ordered these online. Those I have are the complete documents, but I believe they will copy selective sections - possibly by month, if you want to save some money. The copies I have are very good quality and I have had no trouble scanning them to pdf on our machine at work. (Pdfs are a little easier to carry around and work with than A3 paper ;-)

Hope that helps,

John Harrop

I meant to add that his name and S/N would almost certainly appear in the entry for the day he was killed.

You may be able to get some additional information on the circumstances - that varies quite a lot between diaries and diarists.

Cheers,

John Harrop

I meant to add that his name and S/N would almost certainly appear in the entry for the day he was killed.

You may be able to get some additional information on the circumstances - that varies quite a lot between diaries and diarists.

Cheers,

John Harrop

Many thanks John for that info regarding the N.A. having diary for the 46th F.A, I shall contact them straight away.Cheers Chris :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have two more months of the No 1 FA War Diary transcribed and converted to pdf for anyone interested. The months available are:

Aug 1914

Sep 1914

Jul 1917

These are large than makes sense posting here so please PM me and I can email a copy to you. I'll send a copy of the new months to those who asked for the first one.

Cheers,

John

• 2 months later...

Update on what I've been doing with the War Diaries (Nos 1 & 141 Field Ambulance).

I now have each month of the diaries scanned to pdf for both field ambulances. I have been transcribing as I have time and Aug 1914 to Apr 1915 is done with a couple or three other odd months. I'm working on May 1915 now which will finish the term of the first OC. He tended to record more of his thoughts than later OCs and it covers an significant period.

If anyone would like copies of the transcripts, please let me know. I can share the pdfs as well if there is an interest in something I have not gotten to yet.

I should have this supported on my web page in the next few days. I'll post an update when that is up.

Cheers,

John

• 4 months later...
The War Diary of the 46th Field Ambulance is in WO 95/1931 at the National Archives. This document is available for copying. I have ordered these online. Those I have are the complete documents, but I believe they will copy selective sections - possibly by month, if you want to save some money. The copies I have are very good quality and I have had no trouble scanning them to pdf on our machine at work. (Pdfs are a little easier to carry around and work with than A3 paper ;-)

Hope that helps,

John Harrop

I would be very interested in any data you have on 46th Field Ambulance, specifically the period upto end May 1917. Your advice is most welcome also.

Regards

Sad Act