Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brit soldiers dying in French hospitals

JulianB

No, I haven't done any real research yet, but I'm after a British soldier (MGC but name unknown) who died in a French hospital, (Modane, about 4th or 5th March 1918). Where might I find records ???? I haven't found a CWGC link to this yet either.

Julian

Soldiers Died CD gives seven MGC who died on those dates:-

W C Barcock

J Bowden

W Grundy

F C Love

W McKee

R J Rae

S Vickers

Bowden died in Palestine and McKee at home. The other five are France & Flanders. Rae died of wounds. The other recorded as "died".

CWGC look-up might give you a clue.

John

B)

Julian.

I think that you're looking at it being either Grundy or Vickers (what an excellent name for a MGC soldier! :D ).

Barcock is buried at home, Rae is buried in Belgium (Nine Elms) and you know about Love.

Grundy is buried at St.Sever, Rouen and Vickers is buried at Wimeraux.

(though the Modane that I know of is in SE France - a hell of a long way from either of these places. Is there another, nearer?)

Dave.

Yes, it is Modane in SE France (Savoie) that I mean. It's a long story but a train bringing 123 MGC Coy back from Italy crashed not far from Modane, two men were killed instantly and a third died "later" of his injuries, he was said to have been taken to the French military hospital at Modane.

Love was one of the two killed and I THINK the 2nd was Keary, but its the third who is proving elusive. Yes Grundy or Vickers, but why removed to Rouen is a mystery and I don't know where Wimeraux is. The 2 who were killed were buried locally (with full military honours) but later moved by the CWGC to a cemetery just north of Lyons.

If any kind soul with a SDGW could look them (& Keary) up for me up I'd be grateful.

There were lots of train crashes in that spot, the worst being in Dec 1917 when 600 Franch soldiers died, another on 11 March 1918 when men of 1st King Edwards Horse died (also buried locally & subsequently moved to Lyons). I did write to Archives de Savoie but they kept on referring me to the Dec 17 crash.

Julian

The Public Record Office/NA hold some details of foriegn nationals [e.g. British] dying in French hospitals in the series RG35 'Miscellaneous Foreign Death returns' [on microfilm]. Knowledge of French helpful!

Regards - Sue