Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for Arthur Wilson Horse Guard 1920

Guest robnnell

Guest robnnell
post-15511-1159860861.jpgI am searching for details of my Grandfather Arthur Wilson Born 2nd March 1902 in Dudley. He Joined the Horse Guards as a boy soldier at age 15/16 , remained in the regiment until 1922. He is said to have rejoined the regiment in WW2 and left at the end rank Major. All this was told to me by my mother , no longer with us, I would appreciate any help or information anyone has. Thank You. I attach a photograph taken in uniform is it possible to identify the regiment from the collar badge or from the button spacing. Thank you

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum!

Your best bet would be to start with a medal index card search on the National Archives website. The search page is as follows:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

For guidance in how to do this, see the parent site (Long, Long Trail - link at top left of this site - then click "how to research a soldier") or search some of the threads on here.

The problem is that there will be lots of Arthur Wilsons! To narrow the search, try putting "guards" or something else that specifies the regiment in the "other keywords" section of the search page. You should (hopefully) be able to narrow them down to find your grandfather. If you have his medals or some other means of establishing his army number, then you're off and running.

Just to make it even more complicated - he may be listed as 'A Wilson', 'Arthur Wilson', A (insert other initial) Wilson, or Arthur (insert initial or other name) Wilson'!

As I say, do read the "Long, Long Trail" guides before spending lots of time on it and don't hesitate to ask on here if you get stuck.

Bob.

Robnnell

To get you started on your quest:

http:// 1914-1918.net/cavalry/rhg.htm

will give you some detail on the Royal Horse Guards in WW!.

Then try:

http://1914-1918.net/cavregiments.htm

which gives the attachments of the cavalry regiments to Army Divisions etc and thus if you search on in the Long Long Trail (click on the top left of this page) you will find where they served.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Guest robnnell
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum!

Your best bet would be to start with a medal index card search on the National Archives website. The search page is as follows:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

For guidance in how to do this, see the parent site (Long, Long Trail - link at top left of this site - then click "how to research a soldier") or search some of the threads on here.

The problem is that there will be lots of Arthur Wilsons! To narrow the search, try putting "guards" or something else that specifies the regiment in the "other keywords" section of the search page. You should (hopefully) be able to narrow them down to find your grandfather. If you have his medals or some other means of establishing his army number, then you're off and running.

Just to make it even more complicated - he may be listed as 'A Wilson', 'Arthur Wilson', A (insert other initial) Wilson, or Arthur (insert initial or other name) Wilson'!

As I say, do read the "Long, Long Trail" guides before spending lots of time on it and don't hesitate to ask on here if you get stuck.

Bob.

Robnnell,

Well having looked at the photo you won't find your relative in the Horse Guards or any other cavalry regiment as the tunic he is wearing, and it's badges are that of the Coldstream Guards.

Graham.

P.S.

Sorry, found your other post in which he's been correctly identified as C.Gds. Might be a good idea to delete this post.