Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed/opinions please

alan1830

I am making enquiries into my great grandfather Frank Richardson who died on 9.8.1916 at Nottingham General Hospital of T.B.

On his death certificate his occupation is divided into 1.Ex driver 63 Battalion Royal Engineers and 2. a coal carter.

Logic dictates he must just have been discharged from the Army for it to be recorded on his death certificate fairly close to his death date.He is not on the cwgc list that i can find.

A medal index card for a likely candidate is attached.Can anyone interpet the small print on the Action Taken section which indicates maybe a discharge ?. I appreciate the card attached may not be my man but i have gone through a number of F Richardsons and he seems a good bet as he appears to be the only one with discharge on it.

Opinions please.

regards Alan

post-9537-1159708961.jpg

BW (British War Medal) & VM (Victory Medal) Returned (and the King's Regs reference in brackets).

In other words he either didn't want his medals and returned them, or (as may be the case if he died shortly after discharge) his relatives returned them or (and I'm guessing here) the Post Office were unable to deliver them and returned them to the medal office. It may be that the specific para of KRs will tell us more - anyone have a copy?

Kings Regulations 1923 Para 992 (a.) An officer recieving medals for issue will arrange for their safe custody.

(b.) When medals are presented to individuals reciepts will be obtained from the recipients.

So probably no one was available to sign for them, so the Post Office returned them the Record Office concerned.

Mark

BW (British War Medal) & VM (Victory Medal) Returned (and the King's Regs reference in brackets).

In other words he either didn't want his medals and returned them, or (as may be the case if he died shortly after discharge) his relatives returned them or (and I'm guessing here) the Post Office were unable to deliver them and returned them to the medal office. It may be that the specific para of KRs will tell us more - anyone have a copy?

They would have been broken after 10 years.

Mark

KR 1743: "Medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain

unclaimed, will be sent to the India Office (if granted for Indian Service),

or to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal

Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up."

thanks for that.Wonder if they still have them ! Alan