Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrewsbury Forest

kerry

Am preparing a study document for a May visit to the Salient, specifically the Southern part of the Salient. Would be grateful if readers could suggest sources of info regarding which units fought whom in the battles in Shrewsbury Forest, Petit Bois, Bayern Wood and Plugstreet Wood. The various guide books don't give blow-by blow accounts. Also grateful for help on sources of action in the same area during Ypres 2 (April/May 1915).

Many thanks. :(

Hello,

For Bayernwald (Bois Quarante); you should have a look at the book "Bayernwald. Het Croonaertbos in de Eerste Wereldoorlog." This book gives all units that were in the wood (I researched the units), it's in Dutch though.

Jan

For a "blow by blow" account of action in all these areas you are looking at a lot of research, and reference to a lot of books.

Some of the 'Battleground Europe' books will help you cut corners; they are available from Pen & Sword.

There is very little in print about 2nd Ypres, except from the Canadian point of view.

I have to tell you that "Bayernwald" by Franky Bostyn, Jan Vancoillie (see above), Peter Barton and Johan Vandewalle is really excellent. It is brilliantly researched, and has excellent photos and maps. I am lucky in that I can read Dutch, but really this book would be good even if you could not. I bought my copy in Ieper, and I guess it is only available 'over there'.

Kerry,

I've researched a man of the 16th Lancers who was killed in Shrewsbury Forest in February 1915 (by a German mine) and can let you have the details if you so wish.

All the best,

Andrew

Yes please Andrew - please e-mal me at families7@btopenworld.com

I tried to e-mail you through this forum but I keep getting an error message saying the default client server is not set up. Thanks also to the other three respondents but my Dutch is about as fluent as my Hokkien Chinese. But does the Dutch book have any maps or plans?

Kerry

Kerry,

I've had the same problem e-mailing via the forum. Never mind - it's in the post. I've not included it as an attachment because of the danger of viruses, so the main text is all that you need. Any queries please contact me at andrew_hesketh@hotmail.com

All the best,

Andrew

Hello,

it is no problem for me to find the German unit that blew the mine (I know which units were there in 1915). Could you give me the exact date please, I'll look if I can find details about the mine explosion.

Jan

Jan,

That would be excellent! The date was 21 February 1915.

Thanks,

Andrew :)

Hello,

It was as i had thought: the man was killed during the fighting after Infanterie-Regiment 126 had blown two mines in the "Groenenburg-Stellung" on February 20th 1915. Groenenburg is a moated farm south of Shrewsbury Forest.

Can you read German (Fraktur)? I've got the regimental history and can give you some scans/copies. There are some interesting plans in the book.

Jan

Jan,

That's fantastic. I would love to see whatever information you have. I can read German but am not an expert. However I have a friend who is excellent!

E-mailing off this forum has not always been very successful so I am not sure how to contact you off-list. My e-mail is andrew_hesketh@hotmail.com

Thanks again,

Andrew

:D:D

Dear AOK (Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse? Surely not)

I would also be grateful for a copy of 126 Inf Regt's history - Ich kann deutsch und bezahle gerne jegliche Portokosten - I'll gladly pay the postage. Grateful for anything that leads to a better grasp of what went on in Shrewsbury Wood. It seems to be an area that writers have overlooked.

Many thanks/Danke im voraus.

Kerry

e-mail : kerry.hutchinson@psd.defra.gsi.gov.uk :o

Hello,

AOK 4 stands for Armee-Oberkommando 4 (The 4. Armee held the front between the North Sea and the river Lys (app.)).

I'll scan the pages concerned and mail them.

Greetings,

Jan

• 2 years later...

As a quick aside. The mine was one of three that had been set up in the vicinity was blown and the Germans rushed into the crater and threatened to overwhelm the 16th Lancers positions. A machine gun section from 5th Lancers set up their gun on the edge of the crater and forced the Germans to retreat.

What is interesting is that the 16th Lancers claim that it was their own D Sqdn that did this in their official history dated 1932 but in fact it was 5th Lancers.

Ypres Town Cemetery

Graves of Captain Edward RADCLIFFE and Lieutenant N. KING, 16th Lancers, killed in the mine explosion of 21/2/1915

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1127827164.jpg

• 16 years later...

Hi, I am researching the mine explosions that were set off in the early morning of the 21st February 1914 whilst the 16th Lancers were in the line. I would appreciate any available information. I already have the war diaries covering this event. Despite scouring the trench maps I cannot pinpoint the exact location. 
Many thanks

Daryl