Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major S.M Cleverley R.A.F

medals1976

Hi, can any members help me with any information about Major S.M Cleverley R.A.F. Major Cleverley was mentioned in Dispatches LG 3rd June 1919, Independent Force R.A.F (France). I would appreciate any information of what squadron he served as do not have details. I have much information about his post war service were he died in an aeroplane accident in 1924 but virtually nothing for WW1.

Anything about this chap would be very very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

Mike.

Hi, can any members help me with any information about Major S.M Cleverley R.A.F. Major Cleverley was mentioned in Dispatches LG 3rd June 1919, Independent Force R.A.F (France). I would appreciate any information of what squadron he served as do not have details. I have much information about his post war service were he died in an aeroplane accident in 1924 but virtually nothing for WW1.

Anything about this chap would be very very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Sidney Minchin Cleverley, born 19th January 1886. A native of London

Sub Lt [RNVR] 24th November 1914

Lt [RNVR] 24th March 1915

Lt Cdr [RNVR] 31st December 1917

Major [RAF] (date unknown but probably 1st April 1918)

Served at least initially in armoured cars

Also served at Barrow, Howden, Eastchurch, Capel and Tresco.

With 14 Kite Balloon Section in Mesopotamia August 1917

His various promotions etc are mentioned in The Aeroplane of 1st September 1915 and 12th January 1916 and Flight of 10th January 1918 and 20th January 1921

Sorry that's all I have on him

Regards Duncan

Mike

Howden and Capel were bases for the RNAS airships used for submarine spotting, so presumably this was his role at that time.

Do you know the circumstances of his death?

Adrian

Hi Mike,

Sidney Minchin Cleverley, born 19th January 1886. A native of London

Sub Lt [RNVR] 24th November 1914

Lt [RNVR] 24th March 1915

Lt Cdr [RNVR] 31st December 1917

Major [RAF] (date unknown but probably 1st April 1918)

Served at least initially in armoured cars

Also served at Barrow, Howden, Eastchurch, Capel and Tresco.

With 14 Kite Balloon Section in Mesopotamia August 1917

His various promotions etc are mentioned in The Aeroplane of 1st September 1915 and 12th January 1916 and Flight of 10th January 1918 and 20th January 1921

Sorry that's all I have on him

Regards Duncan

Wow, thank-you very much Duncan, I wondered why I could not get anything on him, at least I can check for his Naval papers now, I am really pleased! Are copies of the Aeroplane available do you know? I would not mind obtaining some photocopies? Any idea what 14 kite balloon section were doing in Mesopotamia? Did not know he even served in armoured cars. He is listed as a Technical Officer in the April R.A.F list, is he listed or known to be aircrew at any stage?

Thank-you very muck.

Mike.

Mike

Howden and Capel were bases for the RNAS airships used for submarine spotting, so presumably this was his role at that time.

Do you know the circumstances of his death?

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your help. The details I have of his death are that he died 15/1/24 whilst an observer in a Bristol Fighter on the Isle of Grain. He was apparently testing some bombing techniques. I wondered if he was aircrew in 1918 when he was MID with the Independent Force R.A.F?

Kind Regards.

Mike.