Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greatcoats

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Did soldiers or officers have their rank on their greatcoats or would they have worn something similar to a dog collar on the shoulders of their coats whatever rank.

Officers certainly had badges of rank on their shoulders (I have seen red piping round the side for Infantry)and I have seen stripes on other ranks greatcoats.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello,

For many years officers in the British army have worn two styles of coat. One, not often seen these days, with an official name something like 'officers long universal pattern'. These had brass buttons and were worn with rank badges on the epaulets. The other called the 'British Warm' normally only worn by officers of field rank (i.e. Majors and above) was worn without rank badges. They had leather buttons. While this is based on experience in the 50's and 60's I would be surprised if it was not the case in WW1.

Old Tom

I think you`re right, Tom. I recall seeing officers with rank badges on greatcoat epaulettes and not on those thicker warms worn by senior officers. They seemed to have an air of "No need for rank badges - you know who I am"! Phil B

Hi

The theory about the officers warms not having rank badges, and being for only high ranking officers is wrong.

I have a 1917 dated officers warm with Captains brass rank pips on the epaulettes.

Jonathan

Also here is A British officer, as you can clearly see he has pips on his epaulettes.

It also looks like a detachable fur collar on his warm.

Jonathan

post-6628-1159916878.jpg

Also of interest from the same photo of mine New Zealand Rifle Brigade officers wearing, the name escapes me for some reason, Trench mac?

Anyway, with metal pips and Battalion patches.

Jonathan

and another single breasted this time with Captain's rank

Jonathan.

Phil

That is not a officers warm! as you were on about not having any rank, and only being worn by high ranking officers.

That just like some kind of light dust or rain coat, it has no epaulettes so impossible to add rank on.

Jonathan

from the jacket and hair cut and the fingerprints on the branch behind the fellow i have identified this soldier as sgt frank ford and the shoulder insignia is the 8th battalion the royal fusiliers and yes i told you so.

rememberedwith honour 1/7/16.

see ya soon buddy

Phil

That is not a officers warm! as you were on about not having any rank, and only being worn by high ranking officers.

That just like some kind of light dust or rain coat, it has no epaulettes so impossible to add rank on.

Jonathan

What about posts 10 & 11? Is Haig wearing a non-epaulette civilian coat? Sorry to cloud the issue! Phil B

I think that the "british officer" in Jonathan's first photograph is not "any old british officer" but the Prince of Wales. The meeting with ?NZ RB officers may be datable.

Even though he was wearing rank badges there clearly is an air of "you know who I am". Maybe the attached fur collar was for "Greatcoats (Royal) Officers only"

Julian

I think that the "british officer" in Jonathan's first photograph is not "any old british officer" but the Prince of Wales. The meeting with ?NZ RB officers may be datable.

Even though he was wearing rank badges there clearly is an air of "you know who I am". Maybe the attached fur collar was for "Greatcoats (Royal) Officers only"

Julian

It certainly looks like the PoW. Perhaps wearing non-regulation gear is a way of saying " It`s not correct, but it`s flashy and I`m so important that nobody can object"? Like Patton`s revolvers and Monty`s badges.