Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd London General Hospital

Jerrymurland

My Gt. Uncle (13th Royal Sussex) was in the 3rd London General Hospital after being shipped home from France. I have discovered that there was a hospital newspaper puplished during the great war period - the Gazette - I am not sure if any of the editions still exist but would be grateful if anyone can throw a lead on this one for me?

Jerry Murland

Jerry

How do I even start to explain how wonderful the 3rd London Gazette is? I remember a thread on the Forum asking which five Great War books you’d take to a desert island – I’d have the Gazette, the Gazette, the Gazette…

Soon after War broke out, and No.3 London General was mobilised at the Royal Patriotic School, Wandsworth Common, the CO Bruce Porter agreed to take on a group of men as RAMC orderlies, all members of the Chelsea Arts Club, who were either too old, or unfit for other military service. Thus, he accumulated a wonderful collection of artists, sculptors, writers and poets, and laid the foundations for a hospital journal which became a prince among all others.

It contains wonderful artwork, poetry both serious and humorous, cartoons, anecdotes of daily life – hard to describe such a treasure trove. One of the ‘main men’ of the Gazette was Ward Muir, and his book ‘Observations of an Orderly’ which tells of his life at 3rd London General, is available to be downloaded from the Internet here:

http://www.archive.org/details/observationsorderly00muiruoft

and will give a real flavour of the hospital – you’ll be hooked!

As for the Gazettes themselves, a lot seem to come up on Ebay, either as singles or compilations, and a search of secondhand internet bookshops will find more.

One impression that comes through all the writing, is that it was a happy hospital – well run, and where discipline was at a minimum for most of the time. You’re great uncle was lucky to have landed in the Hospital.

I could go on for ever, but fear I will be more boring than usual :rolleyes:

Sue

This magnificent building still exists. Now known as the Royal Victoria Patriotic Building (originally Asylum, later School), it has been restored and converted into residential and commercial accommodation. It is situated opposite Wandsworth Prison and was used during WW2 by the military intelligence sections responsible for detecting and interrogating spies, and operating the 'Double Cross system' of double-agents.

Mick

post-11021-1159296193.jpg

Sue and Mick, many thanks. I had heard that there is an archive of the Gazettes in a London hospital somewhere ...fact or fiction?

Jerry

Gary

No, I don't think so. All the Territorial Hospitals in London were called No.1 London General, No.2 London General etc., but I think that your card refers to The London Hospital, now The Royal London Hospital. A link to the history of the hospital is here:

The London Hospital

Sue

Thanks again sue, I'll have to get down there, no excuse now not to have a full day pottering around Islington BMD and the Wellcome library.

Jerry

Jerry

Encouraged by mention of 3rd London General, I've started a Blog comprised of extracts from the Gazette - so if I have the stamina to keep it up, there will be a bit to read about the hospital until you can get to the Wellcome.

Sue

I've started a Blog comprised of extracts from the Gazette

Brilliant! Found the imitial reference in Uncle's service record - he was badly wounded in 1916. Trying to trace his movements from casualty clearing to discharge.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

I have a small silver dish which was presented to Miss A Howard by the Sergeants Mess 3 London General Hospital 1917 - anyone know who Miss A Howard may have been?

She was Annie Howard, an Assistant Matron at the Hospital - she has a service file at The National Archives - WO399/12179.

Sue

Jerry

You should be telling me the answer to that one :) - just click on 'Blog' at the top of the page. I seem to have a faithful if small following - sometimes it seems like quite an effort for small viewing figures - [a bit like the BBC] but I shall struggle onward cheerfully :rolleyes:

Sue

She was Annie Howard, an Assistant Matron at the Hospital - she has a service file at The National Archives - WO399/12179.

Sue

Sue,

Many thanks, been a while since I was at the PRO, but will look up the file next time I am there. It will be interesting to see where she went after leaving the 3rd.

Mark