Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte E E Taylor KSLI

Peter Woodger

post-14342-1159285323.jpg This is a different case Pte E e Taylor KSLI was killed attacking Serre on 13th November 1916. His name does not appear on CWGC records but he is buried in Serre Road 3 in grave C 4. The enclosed photo includes the headstone of E F Donald who is buried in C5

Interesting one and not so simple.

You are right that he is missing from the database but he not listed in the original 1920s register either. However, he is listed in the original register for Serre Road Cemetery No.1 !!!

In either case, he is missing and it has been reported.

Hi Peter & Terry

I have been following the threads about the missing from CWGC records, now most of those if not all of those who have been added have no graves and have or will be added to memorials but as I was walking to work at 3.30 today I was wondering to myself what was the chance of a chap who as a know grave being missing of the lists, and blow me I read this two hours later :unsure: and a K.S.L.I. lad as well.

Anyway nice one Peter & Terry.

Another odd thing he was reported as missing at the time, his body must have been found once the Germans moved back. 19164 Pte. Taylor, Ernest Edward came from Crewe, Ches. and was killed with the 7/K.S.L.I.

Annette

Annette

A number of men were missed in the scanning process in the mid-1990s due to a number of technical reasons to do with which register editions were used (a clue to why this one is missing!) and the quality of the paper/print etc.

Most have been found now but you still get a few. I do not post these as 'In From The Cold' when they are added as they have always been recognised.

Hi Terry

Do you know the grave number that taylor was given in the 1920 register for Serre Road 1.

Annette Serre Road number 3 is a V Corps cemetery made in spring of 1917 when the Serre battlefield was initially cleared.

Peter

Hi Annette

Deviating a little but noting your KSLI interest did you notice my post on a rival site (Somme) where the CWGC have agreed verbally that the following is a duplication

Thomason Gordon 26697 7th Kings Shropshire Light Inf 13/11/1916 Thiepval Mem

Thomasson Gordon 26697 7th Kings Shropshire Light Inf 13/11/1916 Serre Road 1

Peter

Hi Terry

I do not post these as 'In From The Cold' when they are added as they have always been recognised.
I agree B)

Terry I am interested also like Peter to know the grave number that Pte. Taylor was given in the 1920 register for Serre Road 1. Out of the two officers and 53 men who lost their lives on 13-11-16, 24 have known graves. Four are in Euston Road, 18 are in Serre No. 1, and two including Pte Taylor are in Serre Road No. 3. Just wondering how Tayor was originally recorded in No. 1 but then ended up in No. 3 ?

Hi Peter

I have not seen your post on the other site about Pte. Thomason, I do have a note in my records that he is on Thiepval Mem as well as having a known grave, I put this down to the possiblity that he was found some years after war, he is reported as missing in local paper, I guess the CWCG forgot to remove his name from Thiepval Mem or it could be down to the fact that his name is mis-spelled and so not noticed as being the same man.

Annette

TAYLOR is listed in Serre No.1 as being in Grave I.C.4. See the similarity!

At some point he was obviously removed from the list at Serre No.1 because he was not there but there was apparently no clue to him actually being in No.3 and so he was not added there.

The Thomasson error will be entirely due to the name differences.

Thanks Terry

Fair do's Terry and the CWGC sort out another glitch in just 24h. Hey thats not bad prehaps they should take over the running of the home office.

Another job well done Terry. I think the C.W.G.C. should put you no their pay roll ;)

Annette

• 5 months later...
Deviating a little but noting your KSLI interest did you notice my post on a rival site (Somme) where the CWGC have agreed verbally that the following is a duplication

Thomason Gordon 26697 7th Kings Shropshire Light Inf 13/11/1916 Thiepval Mem

Thomasson Gordon 26697 7th Kings Shropshire Light Inf 13/11/1916 Serre Road 1

Peter

This problem has now been sorted and the Thiepval entry deleted.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry

Thanks for letting me know. Thomasson was 1 of 11 names I submitted in Feb 2005. His is the only one changed so far. I suspect your personal touch has worked again. One day we will find out how you do it but until then we can only be grateful for you efforts.

Peter