Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4635 Private Patrick Crossan - 4th Black Watch

Tom A McCluskey

Terry,

Please find below the details of the above mentioned Black Watch soldier that I fear is not commemorated:

From the Scottish National War Memorial:

Surname CROSSAN

Firstname Patrick

Service Number 4635

Date Death 03/09/1916

Decoration

Place of birth Dundee

Other 4th Bn.

SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Also, please find enclosed his entry from SDGW

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1159215321.jpg

This could be one of the quicker ones to resolve.

He appears in the GRO Overseas Death Index under Ref. I.1.186.

If you get his death certificate, it can be progressed quite quickly.

Terry,

Thanks very much ;)

I have ordered a Death Certificate from the Scottish GRO. It will take 5-10 days to arrive. Who do I send the certificate (or copy of certificate) to? In advance Many Thanks!

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

When you have the DC, you have to put a submission together.

You can do this yourself (contact me off Forum if you want advice on this) or - part of the purpose of this new section - GWF can do it on your behalf. Also contact me by PM or email if you want to take this course.

If you have not done so, it would be useful to down load his MIC as it may mention his death.

For in service non-commemorations, the DC and MIC are usually sufficient when properly presented. This does mean an outlay of £10.50 for both documents and I accept that not everyone can do this. However, that is the system as it currently stands.

Terry,

Fortunately I already have his MIC. Once the Certificate arrives I will PM you and most probably go through the GWF channel.

again thanks

Aye

Tom McC

For anyone interested in following this thread and wondering what the 4/5th Bn of the Black Watch were doing, Here is the Appendix to the Battalion Diary for 3rd September 1916. The 4th (Dundee) and 5th (Angus & Dundee) Battalions had been amalgamated due to irreplaceable losses, especially on the part of 4th BW. Lt Col Sceales - a regular officer with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders - replaced Harry Walker, who was mortally wounded on 25th September 1915 (died 28 Sep 15).

The Battalion was involved in an attack to the north of Beaumont Hamel:

Distribution of Copies

Copy No. 1 C.O.

2 Adjudant

3 Bombing Officer

4 Signal Officer

5 O.C. “A” Coy.

6 O.C. “B” Coy.

7 O.C. “C” Coy.

8 O.C. “D” Coy.

9 File

10 116th Brigade

-------------------

4 / 5th Battalion, The Black Watch

Appendix No. 4. to WAR DIARY for September , 1916.

SPECIAL ORDER BEFORE GOING INTO ACTION[/center]

Before we go in to take an active part in the biggest battle that the world has seen, I wish all ranks to know that I am more than proud to be in command of such a battalion.

I wish I could feel as confident of doing my small part as well as I know all other ranks will do theirs. I have a small sprig of white heather given to me by GENERAL HORNBY and sent by SIR DOUGLAS HAIG to bring us luck. I hope it may and I feel that it will; but in any case I am sure that once more our native land will have reason to be proud of the 4th and 5th Black Watch.

(Sd.) G.A. McL. SCEALES

Lieut. Col.

4/5th The Black Watch

Sept. 2nd 1916.

Appendix No.5. to the WAR DIARY for September 1916.

4 / 5 th Battalion, The Black Watch.

AN ACCOUNT OF THE BATTLE OF SEPTEMBER, 3rd, 1916.

ASSEMBLY: The Assembly of the two assaulting Coys, was in the trenches GIANTS CAUSEWAY, DOLLIES BRAE, and the trench close to the railway connecting the two. This was presumably the best that could be made out of an almost nil selection. It entailed great congestion, and almost stopped all through communication. The difficulty of getting the troops their hot coffee and afterwards into their proper position was very great, and it took most of the night preceding the attack. It was however eventually accomplished. I think it almost essential that a new trench should be dug from DOLLY’S BRAE to GIANTS CAUSEWAY, parallel to the one above mentioned, close to the railway lines, with several cross communication trenches. The position for a support company in dug-outs in the railway embankment about 150 yards behind CORNER POST was not good. They were very heavily shelled, and several very valuable lives were lost. No other position however exists and I think the narrow trench should be dug along the west side of the railway close under the embankment. In this Troops could be assembled. It should run forward from the position selected to the vicinity of CORNER POST, with which it could be connected. If possible deep dug-outs should be added. The trenches I dug for the reserve company were not shelled, and the position seems very satisfactory, but the only communication to the front is along the trench line, very heavily shelled and the reserve company liable to heavy casualties on its way up. I think that the Assembly trench above suggested for the support company should be continued backwards down to this position. In general it is almost essential to have more forward and lateral communications in this part of the line.

ASSAULT: The advance of the two assaulting Coys. Was made from GIANTS CAUSEWAY. This jumping off place is too narrow-fronted and details the Coys. coming out rather bunched and opening out after clearing the neighbouring saps. Should the assault be made in daylight and the German machine guns able to cover this spot the advance might easily be stopped. As it was in the dark, and without fire opposition the advance seems to have been very successful, and the three waves of “A” Coy the leading Coy. reached their objective. The first pond marked in the map contained no water and was good going. The trench from the road down to and round this pond was hard to recognise as such, and appeared more of a mass of deep shell holes. Wire about the railway though a good deal knocked about was still thick and difficult to get through. On the left of the railway in the shell holes and along the side of the bluff, running N.E. parallel to the railway were numerous dug-outs, probably honeycombed with passages and through connections for a long distance back. On reaching their first objective “A” Coy were badly strafed by machine guns from the front and also dug-outs in the bluff. The clearing out platoon however started clearing up the dug-outs, for six when a “P” bomb thrown into a dug-out was returned by the Bosche before exploding and covered all our men in the vicinity with smoke into which the Germans bombed vigorously. This caused a certain amount of disorganisation and about this juncture the Coy. Commander and his two senior sub-lieutenants became casualties, leaving only one officer. A portion at any rate of the Sussexs on the high ground above was seen to be retiring and in the dark of the morning it was thought a German line was seen in close pursuit. “A” Coy. therefore retired about 50 yards running into and mixing with “C” the second assaulting Coy. 2/Lieut. Edwards, the surviving Officer, had however, before this got a Lewis Gun on to the top of the bluff, which covered the retirement of the Sussexs and remained there in action until they presently returned. “A” and “C” Coys. in the meantime re-organized into two waves, went forward again, at the same time as the SUSSEX and reached about the same point. It was now broad daylight, and machine gun fire from the dug-outs on their immediate left front and from the front became heavy. The Captain of the second Coy. was hit , and one of his two subalterns. Casualties became heavy, and the line disorganised. Small parties running forward and others running backwards for a short distance.

It is difficult to point with certainty the exact point reached during this operation. A certain number of men never retired at all, after the first advance, and in the second advance it seems certain that a line was reached running from Q.18.c.7.5. across to the edge of the marsh and the water of the second pond. The second pond here extends right to the foot of the railway embankment. I have given previously instructions that the advance on this portion must be regulated by that of the Troops on the high ground up above. The Sussex on the top of the ridge at this time were again forced to retire and casualties becoming heavy the senior Black Watch officer present, decided to withdraw his troops also, and the whole force on this end of the line withdrew to the O.B.L. although undoubtedly small bodies of both Battalions remained out in shell holes. The only surviving Officer of the second Coy. had now been temporarily knocked out, and 2/Lieut. EDWARDS the sole survivor at once communicated with me. His message was timed at 5.50 a.m. I informed him that the Sussexs were about to advance again and that he must go forward in cooperation. About this time he received a message that the Sussex were on the German second line and needed reinforcements. This I think almost certainly was the base of a triangle of the first line. On receiving 2/Lieut. EDWARD’S message I at once ordered Capt. Lyell to bring the reserve Coy. to the front line, and a platoon of this, which was already on its way to the front as a carrying party arrived in time to join the next advance of “A” and “C” Coys. survivors, organised by 2/Lieut EDWARDS. They bore onto the high ground on the left and apparently about 7 a.m. reinforced in the German first line a party of some 20 Sussexs who had never retired. 2/Lieut. EDWARDS with the remnants of “A” and “C” in this front line, Lieut. ROBERTSON with the platoon of the reserve Coy. consolidating a support line about 50 yards in rear. Lieut. MURRAY who had recovered from being temporarily knocked out brought up another wave of remnants of “A” and “C” Coys. and pushed right through to the party in the first line. The position extended from the edge of the bluff to about 150 yards inwards. They had 4 Vickers, 2 Black Watch and 2 Sussex Lewis Guns. Two of the Vickers had been found and brought back personally by Sergt. LAIRD, Black Watch from some 70 yards in front. Two Vickers were placed by 2/Lieut EDWARDS on the extreme edge of the bluff and successfully swept the railway line until they were withdrawn in the retirement. The left rested on some German dug-outs. A party of bombers were pushed along to the trench to the left to get touch with some Machine gun of ours which was heard firing in that direction, but they never returned, and a small party sent out an hour afterwards met the same fate. Shortly afterwards a strong German bombing attack took place on this flank, and very sever fighting continued all day until the retirement took place, swinging backwards and forwards as each side in turn was temporarily successful, but on the whole the Germans were gradually pressing this flank inwards.

The line remained in this position all day, being subjected to heavy fire from trench mortar and rifle grenades from the German support line, and the sniping and machine gun fire from across the ANCRE. It is interesting to note that our rifle grenades were unable to reach the German support line, while theirs reached ours apparently with ease. About 8 a.m. Capt. LYELL arrived with the rest of the reserve Coy. and took command of the O.B.L. He proceeded forward with one platoon (2/Lieut. J. NICOLL) to the front German line, and having took stock of the situation returned to the O.B.L. where he kept his other two platoons in hand. These platoons from time to time furnished carrying parties taking forward S.A.A., bombs, picks, shovels and other material, and at the time of the retirement 2/Lieut, EDWARDS was holding about 100 yards of trench in a comparatively well consolidated position. During the day many Black Watch were seen lying in different places on the low ground below the bluff and most of them were ordered and able to join the line above. About 12 noon the order to retire was received. It is difficult to say how the men could have held on. It is true that they had carried out a good deal of consolidation, but at the same time they had been subjected to a long strain of fire from three sides, and it needed all their grit to stay there. Once passed down it was impossible to regulate the retirement which became an independent movement, and during which many casualties occurred. No touch with the left was obtained at any portion of the day. A portion retired down the embankment and along the railway line and discovered while doing so that there had been German dug-outs in the embankment right underneath them.

It is difficult to fix the furthest position reached during the assault. Referring to the BEAUMONT-HAMEL Sheet at the beginning of the assault Capt. CUNNINGHAM of “A” Coy. who is missing, appears to have led a Bombing attack up the trench running parallel to the railway, and along the road forward from the first objective. Later 2/Lieut. MILL and a party were seen by 2/Lieut. EDWARDS being driven in on the right well forward of the first German line. 2/Lieut. MILL being killed just as he reached the latter. During the day parties endeavoured to bomb up from point 56 to point 59, but they were always eventually driven back. A good many men were left in the first German line, in different places after the retirement, of which I think most have rejoined. They did not get the order to withdraw stayed there in most cases although they saw others withdrawing under the belief that it was a counter attack and that it was their duty to stay and repel it. In the event of future operations I think that the low ground along the railway should be taken on as by a very thin line if at all and that the dug-outs in the bluff which are high up and difficult to reach, and the trenches if any about the railway should be dealt with by parties from above as they are reached. The support Coy. whose duty was mainly to work up the river bank and particularly the right flank did not suffer quite so severely as the others. Starting from strong points made during the night near the mill, 2/Lieut. JAMES worked up the ANCRE to a position about Q.24.b.1.4. where he struck strong German wire, for which he found the large hand wire-cutters no use. In addition coming under fire from German machine guns on the opposite high ground and from one machine gun firing from far back on our own side, he decided to stay and consolidate where he was. He was unable to see anything of the attack of the rest of the Battalion. He endeavoured to assist by fire to cover the retirement of the left Battalion of the 146th Brigade, but obtained no touch at any period with any troops across the ANCRE, though he had met the Officer commanding them by arrangement at 3 a.m. On arriving near the point he consolidated he ran into three Germans whom his scouts had apparently missed, whom he fired at with his revolver, but was unable to see the result owing to the thick scrub. He withdrew to command “B” Coy. on his two senior officers being killed, and the Sergt. Left in charge brought in this detachment to the mill about the time of the general retirement, being himself wounded on the way. As regards the rest of the Coy. apart form holding the right flank and being employed as carrying parties for the front line they were not actively employed, but as it was they lost Lieut. ROBERTSON commanding, and 2/Lieut DUNCAN, while 14 men alone were buried by one big shell, of which 10 were successfully rescued.

ENEMY CASUALTIES: Very few enemy dead bodies were actually seen but as at least 6 large dug-outs were bombed and a great deal close fighting took place there must have been a considerable number.

OUR CASUALTIES: Officers – Killed Lieut. W.S. ROBERTSON, 2/Lieut W.B. DUNCAN, and 2/Lieut. R.C.K. MILL;

Wounded: Capt J.L. RETTIE, Lieut. W.L. ROBERTSON, 2/Lieut D.S. GUTHRIE, and 2/Lieut W.A.M. COX.

Missing: Capt. R.C. CUNNINGHAM, and Capt. E.A. SHEPHERD.

Wounded at Duty: 2/Lieut N. JAMES.

Other Ranks:

“A” Coy. 11 Killed, 40 Wounded, 18 Missing.

“B” Coy. 7 Killed, 12 Wounded, 1 Missing.

“C” Coy. 8 Killed, 43 Wounded, 8 Missing.

“D” Coy. 4 Killed, 31 Wounded, 4 Missing.

“H” Coy. 1 Killed, 11 Wounded.

Hot coffee with rum was issued to all before the assault, but it was an extremely difficult operation for the two assaulting Coys. in view of the fact that their assembly trenches coincided with the only means in the part of forward progression.

Getting this coffee made and issued and getting the troops into assembling formations took about 5 hours.

TOOLS: Picks and shovels were carried by two out of the four platoons in each Coy. They were pushed in between the haversack worn on the shoulder and back. This method was found very successful and they were not thrown away by the men. The fourth platoon in each Coy. also carried up R.E. material and considerable quantities were carried up during the day, and used by the men. The effort and success in consolidating was one of the marked features of the work done by the Battalion during the day.

AMMUNITION: The extra 100 rounds of S.A.A. issued undoubtedly made with other things a heavy weight for the men to carry, but it is perhaps a necessary method of getting ammunition forward. No shortage was complained of that could not be dealt with. Enemy bombing attacks seemed to be made in much the same manner as our own, though our men on the whole held their own it was only by very hard fighting.

In conclusion I consider that the work done by Coy. commanders, N.C.O.s, and men under the circumstances could hardly have been improved on. Courage, presence of mind and initiative were shown by all ranks and deserved very difficult results.

A list of recommendations will follow tomorrow.

G. McL. SCEALES

Lieut-Col.

Cmdg 4/5th Battalion, The Black Watch

In the Field

4/9/16.

4 / 5th Battalion, The Black Watch

Appendix No. 6. to the WAR DIARY for September , 1916.

MESSAGES RECEIVED AFTER THE ACTION OF

September, 3rd

The following copy of wire from 39th Division is published for information:-

“Vth Corps wired last night AAA Following wire from Reserve Army begins AAA The Army Commander wishes you to convey to the 39th Division his sympathy with them in the failure of to-day’s operations AAA His confidence in them is unabated and he is sure that before long their bravery and perseverance will carry them to complete victory AAA End AAA”.

(Sd.) F.H. GUNNER, Captain

Brigade Major, 116 Infantry Brigade.

4/9/16.

Copies to:-

O.C 11th Bn R.S.R

O.C. 12th Bn R.S.R

O.C. 13th Bn R.S.R

O.C. 14th Bn Hants. R

116 M.G. Coy.

116 T.M. Bty.

4/5th Black Watch

234 Field Coy. R.E.

Detachment 13th Glosters

O.C. O.C 1/6th Cheshire Regt. 2.

4/5th Black Watch.

1/1st Cambs. Regt.

1/1st Herts. Regt.

118th M.G. Coy

118th T.M. Bty

--------------------------------

SPECIAL BRIGADE ORDER.

The Brigadier-General recognises the excellent work which has been carried out by the Brigade during the last week, which has entailed severe tasks on all employed.

Here are the rest of Patrick Crossan's comrades who were killed in action on the 3rd September 1916 and their respective places of commemoration. This does not include those that subsequently died of wounds in the coming days. Albeit 4/5th Bn The Black Watch (TF), the 4th (Dundee) Bn appear first, then the 5th (Angus & Dundee) Bn; as this is how they are listed in The History of the Black Watch in the Great War. Pte George Mowat, at the end of the list, is listed as 4/5th Bn The Black Watch.

Auld, David Pte 2534 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. 31 Dura Street, Dundee

Barron, John Pte 201364 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Craigmannan Co Kilkenny

Burnett, James Pte 2334 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Cassidy, John MM Cpl 201325 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Connelly, Andrew Pte 2924 Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. A. 4. 29 Powrie Place, Dundee

Crossan, Patrick Pte 4635 - ***Not Found on CWGC database*** 4 St David's Lane, Son of John & Catherine Crossan of Temple Lane Dundee. A Jute Millworker. Born Dundee.

Cunningham, Robert Cocks MC Capt N/A Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of the late William Ogilvie Cunningham and Christian Anne Cocks Cunningham.

Duncan, William Balfour Bethune 2nd Lieut N/A Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 20. Son of A. Bethune Duncan and Margaret Balfour Duncan, of Graycraig, Dundee.

Forbes, William Pte 4164 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Late of 27 Charles Street, Dundee

Gould, George Pte 2736 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Mrs. Jane Gould, of 63, Dens Rd., Dundee.

Gow, Donald Pte 1495 Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. E. 48. 22 Miller's Wynd, Dundee

Gray, James Pte 2225 - Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Row XIII. C. 36. 167 Alexander Street, Dundee

Green, Martin Pte 4883 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Joseph Green, of Station Rd., Kelty, Fife, and the late Martha Green; husband of Helen Ross (formerly Green), of 5, Bernard St., Dundee.

Henderson, William Pte 201188 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of David Henderson, of Foodie Farm, Cupar, Fife.

Houston, Davis Pte 3120 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 36. 21 Lawrence Street, Dundee

Hutton, David Pte200564 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Benvie Forfarshire

Kelly, James Pte 2792 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 13. 81 Foundry Lane, Dundee

King, William Pte 2399 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. E. 10. 299 Hilltown, Dundee

Knox, James Pte 1535 - Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Row VII. C. 36. Born Monifieth Forfarshire

Masson, Peter Pte 4292 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. A. 5. Son of Douglas and Jean Masson, of 3, Tayview Buildings, Broughty Ferry, Forfarshire. Born Glasgow

McBain, William Pte 201225 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

McCumiskey, William Pte 201301 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

McDonald, Hugh Pte 200164 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

McLeod, Alexander Pte 200400 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Meekison, Thomas Pte 2622 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 40. 68 Cowgate, Dundee

Middleton, James Johnstone Pte - 200662 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Andrew Middleton, of 8, Blinshall St., Dundee. [recorded as 1st Bn on CWGC]

Miller, Andrew Pte 3989 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 41. Son of Andrew and Jessie Miller, of 16, Gardner's Lane, Dundee. C Coy

Money, Robert Pte 1830 Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. A. 47., 5 South Mid Street, Lochee, Dundee

Murray, David Gibson Pte 2142 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. E. 12. Son of James F. and Mary Ann Tosh Murray, of Olive Cottage, Barry Rd., Carnoustie, Forfarshire. B Coy

Ross, Thomas Pte 200654 - Serre Road Cemetery No 2, Row XX. D. 1. Born Dundee

Shepherd, Edward Alexander Capt N/A - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Walter Shepherd; husband of Alice J. Shepherd, of Brae Cottage, Broughty Ferry, Angus.

Simpson, Andrew Pte 200613 - Contalmaison Chateau Cemetery, Somme, Row I. B. 1. Born Dundee. Attached to 1st Bn BW

Smith, Norman Pte 200551 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Stormont, James Cpl 4227 - Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row VII. B. 16. Born Dundee

Mill, Robert Cowper King LieutN/A - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 18. Son of Dr. and Mrs. King Mill, of Newton Villa, Kirriemuir, Forfarshire.

Addison, William Cpl 2559 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Kirriemuir Forfarshire

Alexander, Harry Pte 240893 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Arbroath

Bowman, Charles Hampton Pte 2091 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. E. 47. Son of Charles H. and Betsy Bowman, of 45, Bridge St., Brechin.

Boyd, Joseph Pte 2395 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 35. Born Dundee

Cargill, William Pte 241026 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Linross Forfarshire

Clark, Charles Pte 241017 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Brechin Forfarshire

Craig, George Pte 241095 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Mrs. Hellen Craig, of 15, Culloden Rd., Arbroath, Forfarshire. (Old Number 3524)

Cunningham, Peter Pte 240413 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of John and Betsy Cunningham, of St. Roques Place, Broughty Ferry West, Forfarshire.

Davie, Alexander Pte 2329 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Jane Davie, of 12, Mill Lane, Montrose, Forfarshire, and the late Charles Davie.

Dunbar, Alexander Pte 1777 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 21. Born Brechin Forfarshire

Duncan, John Pte 2331 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Cupar Angus Perthshire

Ferguson, James L/Cpl 240821 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee [recorded HBWIGW as 1914]

Grewar, Stewart Pte 240874 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of William Grewar, of 22, Tillyloss, Brechin Rd., Kirriemuir, Forfarshire.

Hannay, George Pte 1973 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Montrose Forfarshire

Laird, James Sgt 240218 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Forfar

Lundie, James Pte 1657 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Lundie, of 4, Kinnaird St., Arbroath, Forfarshire. E Coy.

McLaren, Henry Pte 2790 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Mackie, John Pte 3295 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 43. Son of James and Mary Mackie, of Hale Hill, Kinneff, Kincardineshire.

Marchbank, William Pte 240857 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of John C. and Fanny E. Marchbank, of 9, Dickson St., Hawick, Roxburghshire.

Martin, David Sgt 240174 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A.Son of Mr. and Mrs. Martin, of Myre Cottage, Farnell, Brechin, Forfarshire. Age 20

Meechan, John (Meekham) Pte 3030 - Couin British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, Row II. D. 21. Son of John and Mary Meechan, of 49, Belville St., Greenock.

Mitchell, Alexander Bell Pte 3217 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row I. F. 42. Husband of Mrs. G. Harrison (formerly Mitchell), of Powis, Montrose.

Mowat, George Pte 240726 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of James Mowat, of Rowanbank, Hillside, Montrose. B Coy

Murray, David Pte 2292 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. A. 48. Son of Mrs. I. Murray, of 1, Baltic St., Montrose.

Rea, William L/Sgt 240861 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Arbroath

Robertson, John Pte 240781 - Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Row XII. D. 39. Son of James and Mary Robertson, of 11, Bank Avenue, Downfield, Dundee. Attached to 1st Bn BW. Age 18

Simpson, Alexander Sgt 1562 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of George Simpson, of 22, West Mary St., Arbroath, and the late Agnes Moliison Simpson; husband of Jane Simpson, of 3, Croft Terrace, Kirriemuir, Forfarshire. Age 46

Smith, Harry Pte 2884 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of James Smith, of 11, Arklay St., Dundee.

Smith, William Laing Pte 3419 - Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Row II. E. 11. Born Brechin Forfarshire

Stewart, James Pte 2691 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Mr. and Mrs. James Stewart, of Dryby's Cottages, Montrose, Forfarshire. Age 17

Tait, Robert Pte 240817 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Born Dundee

Thomson, Robert Pte 3341 - Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of Alexander and Barbara Thomson, of Orchard Cottage, Redcastle, Arbroath, Forfarshire. Age 16

Mowat, George Pte 240726 Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. Son of James Mowat, of Rowanbank, Hillside, Montrose. B Coy. Age 19

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks to Chris Harley who has kindly provided Patrick Crossan's Address from the Dundee People's Journal. Which is: 4 St David's Lane, Dundee.

Aye

Tom McC

Hi all,

I was touched and saddened today by the arrival of the certificate from the Scottish GRO that represents the life of Patrick Crossan.

I hope that his memory will live on and never be forgotten, as I do for all our fallen; and that albeit it is now 90 years since Patrick fell at the Somme, that he can finally be commemorated.

Terry if you can please PM me with your email, then I will forward Patrick's details to you.

Again, Many Thanks

post-10175-1159781670.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Through friends such as Anne & Doris, I was able to gather the following; here is Patrick on the 1901 census - Temple Lane is directly opposite St David's Lane in Dundee:

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1160765879.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just been to the Central Library in Dundee. Patrick Crossan's name is on the official Dundee's Roll of Honour. Held within it are 2 photo supplements from the Dundee People's Journal, both of these contain many portraits of Dundee's fallen (I think of those that have a appeared in the People's Journal); they may be of valuable use to future researchers - did not have time to look at this in detail :(

Also, Patricks Death is in the Courier & Argus (newspaper), Friday, September 15, 1916 page (4). The Newspaper report is as follows [unfortunately, no photo of Patrick]:

BLACK WATCH SUFFER HEAVILY

MANY STRICKEN HOMES IN DUNDEE

TRAGIC PECULIARITIES OF FATE

The Black Watch have again been paying a heavy toll and yesterday the names of close upon twenty Dundee men who had recently made the supreme sacrifice came to hand. Several of the cases are particularly pathetic from the fact that some other members of the family had previously fallen in battle, while in not few instances the men killed have left behind them widows and children. The casualties reported yesterday are as follows:-

Killed

4635 P. Crossan, 4 St David's Lane

4883 M. Green, 1 W Milne's Wynd

3120 D. Houston, 21 Lawrence Street (photo)

2792 J. Kelly, 81 Foundry Lane

4164 W. Forbes, late of 27 Charles Street

2399 W. King, 299 Hilltown

2534 D. Auld, 31 Dura Street (photo)

2622 T. Meekison, 68 Cowgate

1830 R. Money, 5 South Mid Street, Lochee (photo)

4319 F. Farrell, 18 Hunter Street

1495 D. Gow, 22 Miller's Wynd (photo)

2585 D. Steel, 24 St Roques Lane (photo)

2924 A Connelly, 29 Powrie Place

4753 J. Williamson, 18 Crescent Lane

1641 LCpl W Tennant, 14 Annfield Street (photo)

- - - - James Gray, 167 Alexander Street

Cpl Edward Clark, 20 Dudhope Crescent Road

Died of Wounds

2818 David Wright, 42 Hospital Wynd (photo)

Hope this is of interest to anyone following this thread

Aye

Tom McC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Whilst going through the Dundee papers an experienced Dundee soldier was chanced upon, his address is significant. Incidentally, this soldier is annotated as killed in 1916 on all records; he was killed in 1915 at Loos:

Aye

Tom Mcc

post-10175-1162624983.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

GREAT NEWS!

Patrick Crossan has been identified as a soldier who is not commemorated and will be commemorated at Thiepval with his comrades.

Absolutely delighted that this soldier of Dundee is now recognised as one of the war dead.

Donald Blue

Yours Aye

Tom McCluskey

Tom,

Well done indeed.

Very well done, Tom.

A glass has been raised to Patrick Crossan this evening.

Regards

Jimmy

Thanks Chaps for the kind comments.

The work continues with the next soldier: Pte James Millar of Dundee, killed with the 4th Black Watch at Loos on the 25 Sep 1915:

Surname MILLAR

Firstname James

Service Number 3763

Date Death 25/09/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Dundee

Other 4th Bn.

SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1164890554.jpg

post-10175-1164890577.jpg

2331 John Duncan from Coupar Angus is on the Thriepval Memorial but has not got a personal CWGC entry. Both he and3763 John Millar are on SNWM though.

Aye

Malcolm

Yes he has...

Name: DUNCAN, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/09/1916

Service No: 2331

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 A.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Dear Tom,absolutely amazed at the detail of the attack and casualty lists.The girl at my workplace in Dundee will be saddened I'm sure but she and he family will finally be aware of how bravely he and his mates fought on that morning so long ago.

many thanks.

Vince