Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Percival Eminson

DaveBrigg

This man appears on our school memorial. A detailed newspaper report describes how he joined the RFA as an officer but was soon taken ill with pneumonia. He appeared to be getting better, but whilst at home recuperating he took a turn for the worse, and remained bed ridden until his death on 2nd March 1918. He was the son of Thomas and Clara Eminson, of Scotter, Lincs, and was buried with full military honours in his local church. There was participation from an army chaplain, and I even know who did the brick work on the tomb.

I have tried to find the grave at the church in Scotter, but the cemetery is quite large and there was no-one present who could help. His cousin, RAF Eminson is listed by the CWGC and I have his papers from Kew. Richard does not appear on the medal roll, and has no obvious record at Kew, but his death is mentioned in the school magazine, where he is described as an officer cadet.

I haven't tried to get hold of the death certificate yet. The newspaper report suggests that he was still in uniform when he died, although I suppose there is a possibility that he was discharged on medical grounds before his death. I have traced surviving family, but have had no luck in contacting them. With this much detail I suppose it should be easy to find the proof required - any suggestions?

The Death Certificate should give his military details as 'occupation' if he was still in service or it may give another clue.

Of course, if he was still in service, he will qualify automatically. If he had left service, then the cause of death would have to be service related.

Unfortunately, all you have so far are press reports which can be notoriously inaccurate. If you wish to go further, the DC will be needed.

• 5 months later...

Hi Dave,

I'm a Parish Councillor in Scotter and you've solved a problem for me with something you posted in 2005.

We are trying to find details of the names on our War Memorial. I could find no trace of R.P. Eminson until I read your words. Can you send me any more information on Percy; for example which school memorial is he on?

I will look through the Scotter Cemetery books and if I find him I'll let you know.

You mentioned R.A.F. Eminson. He died on 20th July 1916 trying to save a Sam Yeller of the 1st Northumberlands. Sam was badly injured and another man was helping him back to his lines when they collapsed. Eminson left his trench and, as soon as he got to them, Sam was shot through his back and the bullet entered Eminsons heart. He was killed instantly and Sam died an hour later.

There's another one I can't find - H. Eminson. Do you know anything about him?

Thanks

Amdrew

Hi Andrew

Great to hear from you. The Eminsons are a complicated family, and while I think I have the basics, you may be able to help with some details. Richard Percival's name is on the memorial at Sir John Nelthorpe School, formerly Brigg Grammar. I have the local news report of his death, and a picture of him as a child, as well as the service record of his cousin and details from Kelly's Directory which I'll happily copy for you. I'm at work at the moment, so can't give any more for now. If you pm your address, I'll get it in the post.

I don't know about H Eminson, but will look to see whether the name crops up at all.

Regards

Dave

• 4 years later...

Dave

On behalf of the In From the Cold Project, I've been nosying through a number of old threads including this one of yours:

I've obtained Eminson's death certificate and it is not crystal clear if he was still serving at the time of death. It mentions an army occupation (gunner, RFA) but also mentions farmer. I'd like to take the punt submitting it to CWGC/MoD (acknowledging you as "finder") but to support the case, could I ask for a copy of the newspaper report you mention in thread - it tends to add weight to the military aspect.

TIA

John

• 1 month later...

Hi John

It's been a while since I have had the time to browse this site or continue the research, but my interest remains, so I was delighted to see that you are still going strong and are willing to look at this case. The news report referred to came from the Lincoln Star. I visited the archive in Scunthorpe a few years back, and have the transcript but not a copy of the original. If a microfiche printout would be better, let me know and I'll see if I can find it again. The transcript is as follows:

It is with deep regret we have to record the death on March 2nd of Richard Percival (Percy) Eminson,late RFA, the younger son of Mr and Mrs W. C. Eminson, High View. The deceased donned khaki in February of last year and but few months had passed ere he was stricken with pleurisy and other allied troubles. After spending some months in hospital he was thought to be on the road to recovery and returned home in the Autumn, but unfortunately he had to take to his bed practically at once and was never able to leave it until his death as above stated. The funeral took place on Tuesday of last week. The remains were first taken to the United Methodist Chapel where the service was conducted by army chaplain Capt W'm Jollans (?). Afterwards the cortege went to the parish church where the rector the Rev. J. Blew officiated, Capt Jollans assisting by reading the lessons. At the graveside the hymn, "Jesu lover of my soul" was sung. The coffin was of polished oak and bore the inscription "Richard Percival Eminson, born March 22nd 1896, died March 2nd 1918" The undertaker was Mr W'm S(?) and the brickwork vault and its decorations the work of Mr Alf Loughton. On Sunday a muffled peal was rung on the church bells."

I understand that a local historian from his home village of Scotter has been trying to locate the grave. I couldn't find a vault or headstone with his name, which was a little surprising since it sounds like a significant construction. As to his status at time of death, the family were local landowners and he came from a long line of farmers, so that would explain the death certificate occupation. Without his records it would seem to be difficult to know if he was still in service at time of death or whether he had been discharged on health grounds.

I wish you luck with getting this man recognised. Our school, and no doubt the local media, would be very interested to know what outcome is achieved.

Regards

Dave

Welcome back to the Forum Dave,,

regards

Tom

I can now confirm that after conversations with the gentleman from Scotter Parish Council that we have located this soldiers burial in Scotter St Peter Churchyard although the exact site has yet to be found if it ever will be found. However a good case for a special memorial.

Jobs a good un

Chris