Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gotha raids

BlackSeptember1918

RT ...I saw in another thread that you had an interest in the Gotha raids on England during WWI . I have a small book written by a Norman Cordingly about his involvement as a X-ray engineer in the developement of air-borne radar for night-fighter aircraft in WWII . Early in the book he mentions a story that during a raid on Leigh-on-Sea he narrowly escaped being killed by a bomb from a Gotha that failed to explode ..Later he mentions watching a Zeppelin burning in the night sky on the 24th of Sep 1916 .

Here's a very bad scan of the bomb that almost killed the author ( I can never work out how to make a good scan from a B&W photo in a book ? ) .

I also have just ordered " The Sky on Fire " about the Gotha raids and am really looking forward to learning more about this subject ! .

Phil.

post-25-1068118861.jpg

Guest Pete Wood
I also have just ordered " The Sky on Fire " about the Gotha raids and am really looking forward to learning more about this subject ! .

Phil.

Let us know what you think about the book. 'Tis not one I have. I've seen a pic of a small section of your 'library.' Hopefully the shelves will take the strain when this latest addition is filed.

Book I do have on the subject of Gotha's are:

Baby Killers

Air Defence of Great Britain

The German Raids on Great Britain

The First Blitz

The Defence of London

War Over England (this is pants!!)

Interested to know of any other reading material.....

Phil, RT,

To add to your lists

Air Defence of Great Britain (by John R Bushby, Pub. Ian Allan 1973) has a section on development and the Gotha threat. ) I presume your volume is "The" Air Defence of Great Britain, Cole and Chessman...RT?

Raleigh Jones has a heap including stats in the appendices.

RAF Biggin Hill (Graham Wallace) has a lot on the early night defences.

A good few C&C articles as well.

regards

Darryl

Phil,

I probably shouldn't tell you this as you made such a big deal about copyright on the other forum, but I'm going to anyway :D

to scan from a book, turn the resolution right down to something like 97 dpi in order to try to get the scanner out of sync with the half tone dots that make up the picture. You will need to experiment with the dpi setting for best results

To get rid of the moire fringe effect turn on the "de-screening setting" - if you have a TWAIN interface for the scanner you will find it under "Image type".

That should produce much more aceptable results.

Mike

Thanks for those tips Mike , I'll give them a try . So thats what moire is ! .

I don't care about copyright mate . I just care about people . If it had been you fighting in a corner on your own and not DS , then I would have rushed to your defence ...rightly or wrongly . Maybe I do let my heart rule my head , maybe to be more calculating is easier and better . But there's worse things in life than to be accused of having your heart in the right place . :)

Phil....

I'm pretty sure that 'The Sky on Fire' is the US title for Raymond Fredette's book 'The First Battle of Britain 1917-1918' (originally published in 1966). It's a good, easily read, account of events.

Guest Tom Brearley
Here's a very bad scan of the bomb that almost killed the author ( I can never work out how to make a good scan from a B&W photo in a book ? ) .

Phil, if Mike's tips don't answer, you could try scanning at a high DPI (like 300) and then resizing the image down. Alternately, turn the source so that it is at an angle before you scan it.

Tom

Thanks for those extra tips Tom ! . I'll try them all to see what works best on my scanner . Also thanks for the heads up on that book title Dolphin , I do vaguely remember that book title from a visit to the IWM some years ago , if memory serves correct they had a smallish room just to the right of the entrance with a Gotha prop above the doorway , with some displays inside of the Gotha raids . I was very tempted to get the " First Battle of Britain " book from the shop there , but I had blown my book budget as high as the Lochnager mine on July 1st !! :)

I had to send many books back to Oz by mail , and even had to leave all my clothes at my sister-in-laws house so I could fit the rest in my case . That was my pre-computer days , when such opportunity's of book buying couldn't be passed up .

Phil..

Yes, 'The Sky on Fire' is Fredette's book. I think the book is superb - reads like a good novel. Close to the top of my list of the best books on the Great war I've read.