Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why no details

mrs shorty

Hi

This may seem a daft question..... but i am curious as to why on the CWGC, only some of the soldiers died have family details and age

a large proportion have unknown why?

Cheers Sandra

Yep. Simple as.....

The "why" might be the more interesting question if only one could get the answer.

I know of two brothers killed in the War. One is commemorated on the local memorial and has full CWGC details. The other has neither CWGC details nor is he on the Memorial.

I have tried to think of all the possible reasons ( he'd moved away, family had moved away, he was the "black sheep", etc). But all that I can see that separates them is the uncommemorated one has no known grave. I wonder if if the family hoped against hope that he wasnt dead and couldnt bring themselves to "officially" recognise he was.

John

Next of kin either didnt return the form to the IWGC or left sections blank.

John

Hi

I have just picked up on this thread. Having finally found all about my Gt Grandfather's details, whilst conducting some research on family history, I e-mailed the WGC with updated information because his details on his page were minimal. This was months and months and months ago. They are still not updated!

Hi

I have just picked up on this thread. Having finally found all about my Gt Grandfather's details, whilst conducting some research on family history, I e-mailed the WGC with updated information because his details on his page were minimal. This was months and months and months ago. They are still not updated!

Hi Wargrave lass

i don't know if this link is going to work, if it does'nt go to the john hopkins post and follow it from there it might explain why your details may not get updated

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/

Cheers Sandra

Hi Wargrave lass

i don't know if this link is going to work, if it does'nt go to the john hopkins post and follow it from there it might explain why your details may not get updated

Cheers Sandra

Hi Sandra

Many thanks. I went onto the link and there is obviously a lot of frustration out there besides mine. It is such a shame. I don't think I will push the matter. At least I know who my Gt Grandfather was and that's all that matters to me.

Thanks again

Wargrave lass

Hi Wargrave lass

Cheers Sandra

I think you will find that if there is an obvious error in the details - wrong date of death etc, it will be changed provided you supply proof. Just adding details after 90 years does not count and you may also be going against the next of kins wishes at the time.

It isn't a site for Family historians, although it does help them.

Steve

The Final Verification Forms were sent out from 1919 onwards. Remember that IWGC was not formed until 1917.

The Additional Information was provided by relatives. Some did not wish to provide information and CWGC respects that wish. Others never received the forms or did not return them.

If you are a close relative, they may add some information but they are not a research organisation and are only custodians of the information they were initially given. They do not seek to add to that information but will make corrections.