Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Forces.

Bob Coulson

Your paper's slightly wrong, Bob. US troops first entered the frontline on 21st October 1917 (16th/18th/26th and 28th Infantry - 1st Bns only) in the Sommerviller sector.

The first US "shot" (by artillery) was at 6:05 am on 23rd October 1917.This was by "C" Battery of the 6th Field Artillery.

Also, the first US "KiA"'s took place during a German raid on the night of 2/3rd November 1917.

I'd have regarded these as the first "actions".

Dave.

Dave I don't have my books with me but 3 from 1st Division were the first killed, one of them , Gresham I believe was from Kentucky but we have been through this before and he had lived across the Ohio River in Indiana also. I think there is still a monument where they were killed saying they are buried nearby but all were removed, possibly to the US. I think I can find details at home if someone asks.

Dave I don't have my books with me but 3 from 1st Division were the first killed, one of them , Gresham I believe was from Kentucky but we have been through this before

I think we have, Paul. They were Gresham, Hall and Enright of "F" Company, 16th Infantry, 1st Div.. On the same night, the Germans took 11 US prisoners. There were German casualties in this raid (that lasted approx. 15 mins), but I don't have the details.

Did I post a photo of the grave?

Dave.