Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information sought please

kaisersoffensive

Hello

I should be grateful for any information or advice on the following.

I am delighted to have in my modest collection the following pais and plaques to the Prest Brothers.

C.W.G.C details are;

Pte John Prest 54488,1st/5th Bn.,West Yorkshire Regt died age 28 on 25th April 1918.

Pte Richard Prest 54486, West Yorkshire Regt (nameing on medals) listed as died on 6th October 1917.Age 19.

He was serving with the 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as Pte 42159.

The difference of one number between he and his brother has not escaped me but would I be correct in thinking that they were both standing almost next to one another in the same recruiting office?They were the sons of William and Elizabeth Prest,of 72,Sunderland St.,Houghton-le-spring,Co.Durham.

I downloaded the 1901 census details and it gives four other brothers within the family who might have seen service.Robert aged 5,Joseph aged 14,William aged 20 and Edward aged 22.

Does any of you kind people have access to the local paper archive relevant to this area who could kindly do a look up for me?

I recently came across a single war medal named to 2273 Pte R.J.Prest Durh.L.I. Without his service papers presumably there is no way of linking it to this family much as I should like to do so.The 1901 census gives no middle christian names so presumably they didn't have one.

Am I wide of the beam with this?

Any advice and suggestions welcome.

regards,

Bob Norman

Bob,

Are these the Ouston Prest family? (1901 census).

2273 RJ Prest DLI is on CWGC as 300233 Robert J Prest DLI and there is a Robert Prest on the 1901 census from Ousten aged 5, along with the others. Looks likely but of course not a certain ID.

Ian

Bob,

Are these the Ouston Prest family? (1901 census).

2273 RJ Prest DLI is on CWGC as 300233 Robert J Prest DLI and there is a Robert Prest on the 1901 census from Ousten aged 5, along with the others. Looks likely but of course not a certain ID.

Ian

Many thanks for your reply.

They are indeed the Ouston Prest family.

Checking with the MID free preview there is a Robert Prest who joined the West.Yorkshire Reg.so I am now thinking that R J Prest Durh. L.I. lad is not a family member.

Hope to confirm this will the help of the wealth of knowledge available on this site.

many thanks for your help.

Bob