Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Heuberg Prison Camp

paparata

Hello,

I have established that my grandfather was a POW at Heuberg in the province of Baden. However my reserach on Google has not located where Heuberg is on a map. Can someone help please

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I have established that my grandfather was a POW at Heuberg in the province of Baden. However my reserach on Google has not located where Heuberg is on a map. Can someone help please

Thanks in advance

Not far from lake constance in s Germany ; a 5th london man tried to swim the lake to escape!!

heuberg camp is situated on high ground above the danube and was formerly an exercise ground,it consists of ten blocks,each containing ten barracks,its 25 miles from sigmaringen,came under german 14th army corps

bernard

heuberg camp is situated on high ground above the danube and was formerly an exercise ground

bernard

...and still is today an active training ground....

• 8 years later...

My grandfather, Archibald McCall, from 2nd Wiltshire Reg was also a prisoner at Heuberg camp. He was captured at St Quentins on 21st March 1918.

He arrived back in England on 28 December '18 and was admitted to a hospital before being sent back home to Scotland.

Does anyone know of the conditions at Heuberg Camp?

Thanks for your help and info.

Dalo.

Hi Dalo,

Did you find out your grandfather was at Heuberg from the Red Cross records? Or, did you get that information from another source?

The reason for my questions is that some of the men I am reasearching were registered at Heuberg but were at work lagers in locations along the Swiss border (Brombach/Loerrach, Haltingen and the Lonza Werke at Waldshut). Some of the men I am researching were captured in the same area as your grandfather.

The details of Heuberg camp came from the local newspaper, the Fife Free Press dated 28 December 1918. I was unable to trace a Red Cross POW record for Dalo's grandfather.

Moriaty

He's there, under MacCall (as they filed the Mc surnames under Mac) and from there to Wiltshires and his is the first card that comes up and shows a number of PA refs.

Thanks Seaforths - it took a bit of finding, but the card reads:

McCall Archibald

Sold. 26982

Wilts

A.

PA 23655

St Quentin 21.3.18 Unversundet? Westfront

7.6.97 Cairn, Stirling [date and place of birth]

Mutter Elizabeth Craigforth Cott.

The top of the ledger page is stamped Cassel and dated 12 Mai 1918

PA 249879

Mc Call Archibald 269820, Gem, 2 Wilts, St Quentin, 21.3.18 Cassel, 7.6.97 Nairn, Elizabeth McCall, Sterling [sic]

Albert Matrey, 33056, of the 2nd Wilts, was captured on the same day and had also been in Cassel. His mother Emily Matrey lived in Winchester, and he was born 24.5.95 in Romsey

The top of the ledger is stamped Mannheim 5 Juin 1918

PA 26184

Details his name, Gem, 2 Wilts, Komp A, St Quentin 21.3.18, Mannheim und [illegible], 7.6.97 Mairn, Scottland [sic], James Mac Call, Stirling, Scottland

Sergeant New Berter, 18214, from Komp A, was in the same camp, captured on the same day, born 25.3.90 Monkton (Wiltsh), Lucy New Lecklade Gloucest

The top of the ledger reads Heuberg, stamped 14 Juin 1918

[Acting Sergeant Bertie J New, who went to France on 4.5.15 as a Private. His medal index card reads "to class Z"]

in brackets (269820)

I couldnt trace anything with this reference under PA, P or R

Moriaty,

PA 23655 reads "Unverwundet" = unwounded/not injured

PA 26184 that scribble under "Mannheim" also reads "Unverwundet"

JW

Thanks for that JW.

I was unable to trace Private Albert Matrey, 33056, 2nd Wilts, who was also in Cassel and Mannheim.

Moriaty

Thanks for help with my grandfather's records. The PA ref. I have from Manneheim Camp is dated 5 June 1918 and lists Archibald McCall's home address as Stirling and his next of kin as Elizabeth McCall (who was actually his 10 year old sister at the time, not his mother)

The other record, from Heuberg on 14th June, has him as MAC CALL and his home address as Nairn (also wrong!) and his father, James as next of kin. So the records don't really match exactly.

If he was unharmed after his release, I wonder why he was sent to a hospital in England before returning home to Scotland. Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

I'm also interested to find out any of his previous whereabouts / battles before being captured at St Quentins.

Thanks for help with my grandfather's records. The PA ref. I have from Manneheim Camp is dated 5 June 1918 and lists Archibald McCall's home address as Stirling and his next of kin as Elizabeth McCall (who was actually his 10 year old sister at the time, not his mother)

The other record, from Heuberg on 14th June, has him as MAC CALL and his home address as Nairn (also wrong!) and his father, James as next of kin. So the records don't really match exactly.

If he was unharmed after his release, I wonder why he was sent to a hospital in England before returning home to Scotland. Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

I'm also interested to find out any of his previous whereabouts / battles before being captured at St Quentins.

Many of the prisoners were in a terrible state from over-work and starvation. Therefore, in many cases the effects of malnutrition would see them hospitalised. Add to that Spanish Flu rife, dysentery, typhoid, tuberculosis that also claimed the lives of men already weak from hunger.

I haven't had chance to study his sheets from the PA references yet I only got as far as finding his card. There are some repatriation sheets that show hospital admissions and, the reason they were admitted. I believe the subscription site Find My Past also has many more.

Many of those captured in 1918, despite being registered with German prison camps, never saw the inside of Germany. They were kept working behind the lines in France and Belgium. Others were worked, practically to death, before being moved to Germany and arrived there at death's door. Some were registered with camps hundreds of miles away from where they were and didn't get parcels through. You could try reading my thread on Loerrach/Brombach and it might help to put some things into perspective on what the Germans were up to. Many prisoners died needless deaths inside of German camps and in German hands in France and Belgium.

As for the action at St. Quentin, many of the War Diaries are now available for digital download from The National Archives (TNA) at just over £3. They are in the WO 95 series. Not only are the battalion diaries available, the brigade and divisional diaries (which tend to cover a lot more) are also available to download.

There is a lot for you to get your head around and it takes time, quite a lot of time, reading searching and asking questions. Regimental museums are usually a great source of information and more than happy to help. They may have personal diaries of men that served with him and were also captured. Some are very detailed and mention place names and the names of other men. Others less so, but generally give place names. Some prisoners escaped and gave statements, many of which survive. The statements can be searched online and also downloaded for a small fee, from TNA. Newspaper archives are also out there. A newspaper that was local to a man might carry snippets of information on him given by the family at home.

If you have undertaken the basic and necessary searches by starting at the beginning, such as finding his Medal Index Card, his Medal Roll entry and whether or not he has a surviving service record then the next step would be as I've mentioned above. If you find another name or names from the ICRC, of others captured from his battalion, see if they have a surviving service record on Ancestry. Their service records can also be revealing.

• 5 years later...

I have recently inherited some old photos from my grandfather. Some are from his time at prisoner of war camp, 1917. One has a place written on the back; heuberg, dated 2 5 17. Its four uniformed blokes. Handwriting reads "with best wishes" E ledkin Sgt. I think. My grandfather was 15736 pte thomas andrews. Its not franked, so guessing it was hand delivered. Love to know more about this. I have some other photos too, that look related. Thanks all, Sean.

2020_05_23 09_12 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_34 Office Lens.jpg

I see from his Medal Index Card that Private 15736 Thomas Andrews was in the West Yorkshire Regiment, so going from the cap badge and the lack of stripes on his arm, that’s the man on the left hand end.

His record card can be seen here:- https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/5253286/3/2/

If you enter the PA reference on the card into the box on the page then you will see the relevant page of the reports received by the International Committee of the Red Cross from the German Military authorities.

He was with the 10th Battalion, C Company when he was captured at Fricourt on the 1st July 1916. He was stated to be resident “California” and initially held at Cambrai. On a subsequent report he is recorded as born and resident Birmingham, with a date of birth of the 13th January 1895.

That second report is a long list of prisoners at Heuberg on the 18th August 1916. If you go to the page with Thomas on you can then scroll up and down the pages to see if you can identify a possible match for your Sergeant who signed the back of the photograph.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edit - PS - Welcome to the forum :)

Edited by PRC
Typo

Many thanks Peter; what a wonderful resource this is from such a dark time time in history. The details you have are correct; the once small outlying village of California was encompassed into Birmingham proper, although the area is still there.  I may have added confusion as I know my grandfather is not in this photograph; I dont know who any of them are, although I suspect that it may have entered my grandfathers compilation as a bit of light joshing. Using your clue about the cap badge, I suspect that the man on the far left was in the W Yorks regiment, but wasn't a Sergeant as he claims!.  I'll have a dig. Many thanks, Sean

• 2 weeks later...

For those that might pick up this thread in the future, I thought it might be interesting to post all the photos. I would be really interested if anyone has the expertise to comment on the uniforms, cap badges etc. You never know, we might be able to identify some of them. Thanks all

2020_05_23 08_17 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_18 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_19 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_20 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_22 Office Lens (1).jpg

2020_05_23 08_23 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_24 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_25 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_28 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_29 Office Lens (1).jpg

2020_05_23 08_30 Office Lens.jpg

2020_05_23 08_33 Office Lens.jpg