Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art - Chinese Characters

Ivor Lee

I recently purchase a piece of trench art. A shell with Royal Berkshire Regiment badge on one side and Chinese characters on the other side.

Having spent an evening trawling the internet to try to find Chinese characters to English translator I reckon I have managed 5 of the 8 characters. But am stuck on the last three.

Iknow I could take the shell to my local Chinese Takeway and get Mr Tang to translate it but I like the challenge! (Comments about being a sad old ****** not needed).

Seriously does anyone know of a good translation site?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

So far I think I have translated 6 of the characters.

But the others still have me stumped.

As I have discovered characters can have more than one meaning so I need to identify them all!

Ivor.

half the people I work with in Brunei are fluent in most of the different dialects.

If you post the characters I will get them translated by my mate Peng Chung Lee (any relation?) :)

John.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally go round to taking up John's (Raster Scanning) kind offer of translating the characters for me.

They read " 8 year Commemoration Republic of China" which he explained it meant it was dated 1920.

The other side of the shell has both the Royal Berkshire badge and the words "Souvenier of Tincourt 1914 - 19" on it.

So I was delighted both to have the translation and that it helps date the shell more accurately.

Many thanks John for your help.