Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Towcester Road Cemetery, Northampton

BIFFO

post-2161-1158450699.jpgI "found"a cwgc cemetary today I never new existed,from the mixture of different regiments I can only presume the burials were died of wounds from local hospitals,several were from the royal deffence corps and the ages of the men were in their 50s,I have never heard of this corps,can any one enlighten me please,also one grave was of princess patricias light infantry

Biffo,

I only discovered this some months ago when we did the local Anzac day celebrations with the RBL and the WFA. nine Aussies buried there I beleive.

Nice little cemetery tucked away at the back, peaceful.

regards

Arm

I know the Royal Defence Corps has been a subject on the site before. Try searching in Units & Formations.

Basically a "Home Guard" often made up of soldiers too old or too wounded for front line service. My GGF died in December 1917 whilst serving with the RDC. Among his duties was guarding internees.

Chris C

PS The Princess Patricia's were the famous PPCLI - Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. If I'm not mistaken the first Canadian unit in action?

thanks for that,so I can only think the half dozen or so rdcorps all died because of wounds recieved and are buried in cwgc with cwgc headstones due to there past service

The Royal Defence Corps was a military unit and so their members are entitled to war grave status no matter how or where they died provided they were within the qualifying dates.

The majority would have died through accident or illness. 1,282 members of the RDC are listed by CWGC as having so died.

• 7 years later...

Hi.

I have just come across this thread.

There were also 10 German graves in the Cemetery who all died at the

Northants War Hosptial Upton except 1.

They were all re-intered at Cannock Chase.

Sandy

There were 9 Australians as ChrisC has already said.

8 were in the Australian Imperial Forces and 1 was a Lc/Corp of 5th Australian Broad Guage Railway.

6 died at the Northants War Hosptial and 3 at Barry Road Military Hospital.

Pte Slater of Princess Patricia Canadians No. 1 Coy. Light Infantry died at Barry Road also.

Sandy

Apparently a couple are working on a book about the War Memorial

so will look forward to it being published.

Sandy

having fin hardingstone-welton war memorials I am w.i.p wootton I had in mind towcester rd for my next project any idea who the couple are

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

Sorry Biffo I don't.

I met them at a book signing event for the Weston Favell men called Sacrifice, Service

& Survival by John Buckell.

There were middle aged and didn't want any imput from anyone to help them.

Good to see you have finished 2 projects and on your 3rd.

Sandy

BUG== it sandy I have time on my hands I will see how far I get with wootton then wait for a nice hot summers day !! go up and photograph all the headstones and see what I can find out will make a change to know the names of all the people and their whereabouts as the middle aged couple who do not want any help will probably never release their findings.

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

Morning Biffo.

Goodness, I do not believe the couple will not release their book.

I think they wanted all the information to be what they had found themselves, that's all.

If you contact the Local Studies at Northampton Library they know of all the

War Books folk are doing in the County. Also the newspaper sometimes asks for help.

I know someone is doing Weedon Bec, Earls Barton and I think Irchester.

I have Harlestone, Weston, Finedon, Higham Ferrers, Bozeat, Desborough, etc myself.

Are you publishing yours then or are they for yourself.?

I can never get far enough away from the headstones to get good images.

There is also another headstone of a soldier buried in the cemtery noted as buried elsewhere.

I might see you up there one day as last time I went to Desborough Cemetery another

forum member was there.

Sandy

• 3 months later...

The book is being written by a group within the Northampton University of the Third Age and covers all the CWGC burials in Towcester Road Cemetery, including those from WW2; 3 Czech burials from WW2 and the 10 Germans from WW1 who are now buried at Cannock Chase.

We are hoping to publish in May/June this year and the title is Stories Behind the Headstones. We have written a biography of each of the 133 men and one women buried in the section and the 8 buried outside the section.

There is a separate book being written which will go into much more depth about the Australians and New Zealanders buried in Northamptonshire and, again, the person writing this book hopes to publish this year.

We are still looking for photos of the men buried in the cemetery so if anyone can help we would be very grateful. We would of course, acknowledge the source.

Any profits from the sale of the book will be donated to a military charity.

If anyone is interested we will be at the Heritage Fair in St. Sepulchres Church, Northampton on 2/3rd August selling the book and talking to anyone who is interested in our research.

Caroline

• 3 months later...

MMMMMMM I can not find mention of this event only the usual H.F. on in September.

I wondered if anyone could confirm if it is on the 2nd August as I wish to purchase a book.

T.I.A.

Sandy

Sandy,

The Great War Understood event is at the Holy Sepulchre Church Rooms, Church Lane, from 10.30 to 4pm on Saturday 2nd August (Saturday only, because the church cannot now give us the premises on Sunday). The event is being organised by the Northamptonshire branch of the WFA. Aside from the WFA there will be more stalls from other organisations and WW1 projects.

All welcome.

Thanks Kate.

I left you a message on Northampton Past. Please will you save me some Christmas Cards. T.I.A.

Sandy

I managed to get the book today. Nice.

Also met the lady who is doing the one on the Australians and we had a natter so Alison if you do join then you will find us all here. :)

Thanks for the cards Kate.

Sandy

Now come on Biff were you at Wootton today as you told me about it.?

I asked a few men if they were you, good job Hubby was with me lol.

Another brilliant display and spoke to a lot of folk there.

Sandy

hold up hold up,I WOZ there, around 1,30ish until 2.00ish :P ,then I went into the club for a pint. I had a long talk with john page,even bought his book,he wants me to e mail him lots of information I have re wootton men,sandy im afraid I do not walk around with a flashing sign says I is biffo,BUT I did wear my gwf badge,now thats cleared that up,any one wanting copies of towcester road cemetery it is available form northampton museum(the one in the naughty books for selling stuff) or can be ordered from any waterstones(other books shops MAY ALSO SELL IT ?)

while AT THE DISPLAY john page showed me what he said was the 14-15 star,not being a know all or nought I said it defo wasn't,I took a photo and said I would post it, on gwf,as I have spent so much time replying to this post I haven't had time!!,but I will post later

I`ll get me coat then

btw have you volunteered for the northampton war project !!!!!!

Biff :poppy:

Thanks for the above reply.

Apparently I should have of had an invite but all the folk I spoke to where

pleased I had attended with Hubby.