Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Campaign Medal Index

Clive Maier

I expect this will be well known to denizens of the PRO but it was new to me and perhaps will be to others ....

The October newsletter of the Family Record Centre includes this news about the DocumentsOnlineweb site:

The next major digitisation project will be the First World War Campaign Medal Index (WO 372). Including officers and soldiers, men and women, this is essentially the most complete list of those who fought in WWI. It is hoped that the results of this project will be online in the next few months. The index cards will be searchable by name, corps, rank, and regimental number and will be released in alphabetical batches according to the surname of the individual.

Clive,

Thanks for the info. A great piece of news as I am tracing in excess of 300 men, some of whom have very common names. I don't get to Kew as often as I would like, and with War Diaries, WO363 and WO364 the MICs have been on back-burner.

Dave

I must be getting for.. for... - what's the word I want?

I have had a look at that thread. The reception was quite lukewarm, almost as critical as if the record were not being digitised. It mainly turned on the need for other supporting evidence, but it is unreal to expect every possible component to be delivered simultaneously. Most people simply can't drop into Kew whenever they feel the need so online access is meant for them. I think they will welcome it.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

JB got the low down at the PRO last Saturday. Everything that glistens is not gold as they say and there is a charge involved somewhere along the line - you didn't expect it to be free did you :lol:

I am sure he can fill in the detail.

Ian

I expected basic searching to be free with maybe a charge for anything downloaded. Further than that I can't go without knowing what is going to be on offer and whether and what the charges will be. I do know that going to Kew is very far from free for most people and is out of the question for not a few.

hi All,

According to the link it will cost 3Pounds (Sorry I don't have the symbol on my keyboard) or roughly $5 which I figure will involve some type of credit card registration. The charge is to download a digital image. That's much cheaper for those of us with an ocean in the way.

Take care,

Neil

Guest Ian Bowbrick

So providing you know what regiment(s) the person you are looking for served in and they are not called John Smith or Thomas Jones or Alexander MacKay or James Murphy (or James Miller ;) ) you are OK!

I agree it is better than nothing if you live miles away but it is not going to be all plain sailing.

Having just read both threads on this subject I must say it is thumbs up to the NA for trying to provide more WW1 info on line, one day the NA may be as good as the Canadian and Australian archives in that respect, but come on give them a chance. Personally I think it would be great if those who have highlighted their concerns about the practicalities of the forthcoming project should make their views known to the NA so they can be properly considered and taken on board by the project team. Thanks Neil.

Regarding the Medal Records, How are they listed at Kew, I do not know my Grandfathers regiment,will this hinder my search? How easy is it to trace an individual with just their name?

This is what I was told in the PRO on Saturday (by one of the staff who knows of what he speaks) -

It will be possible to search on name, regiment and number - with wildcards in each.

All regiments/numbers listed for an individual will be indexed.

Regiments and corps will be indexed in full i.e. Royal Field Artillery - this should make searching easier. E.g. you won't have to look for Sea High, Seafrth High, Seaforth Highlanders, SH, etc, etc.

Searching will be free.

A search will return up to 50 index entries.

To view the original of each card will cost £3 - this will bring up an image of the 'frame' of 6 cards containing the relevant one.

Surnames starting with 'A' should be available this month.

The PRO has learnt from the 1901 census debacle and the IT should cope with initial demand - phasing in the records a letter at a time will help smooth the load.

Personally, I'm more sanguine about this project that I was earlier (it will certainly let me add some men to my 5th Seaforth database). But I still think it will require lots of supporting information to allow folk not familiar with the records to make sense of what they're seeing. I don't know what professional researchers charge to check MIC/rolls but it might still be a better deal than looking at 10 digital images .....

On a related subject, I was told by someone on Saturday (not a member of the PRO staff) that the original MICs are still held at Hayes. The few I've seen in the microfiche where both sides have been photographed have the man's address on the back - now that's useful.

Jock

How easy is it to trace an individual with just their name?

David

It depends on the name. If its an unusual name then it may be unique. Even if there are 4 or 5 with the same name, you may be able to pinpoint your grandfather if you new a little detail eg

Did he go overseas before 1916

Was he in a Scottish Regiment

Was he wounded or killed

etc etc

The point I'm making is that even though you don't know which Regiment, you may know enough to find him in the MIC's.

If you tell us all you know we may be able to help you

Michael

have the man's address on the back - now that's useful.

Jock

I heard this as well from one of our eminent Forum contributors. I didn't know that they still existed though.

Michael

Michael,

yeah - someday I may even try to find out if you can access them.

If you look at William RAE (I'm 95% sure that's right) in the microfiche there are a few cards where the backs have been copied.

Jock

I think that the original MIC's may still held at the Army Medals Office at Droitwich Spa where they originated from. Put "Army Medals Office" into your search engine and you will find their contact details.

Terry Reeves

Guest Ian Bowbrick

JB,

Following our chat on Saturday, I spoke to William Stewart who was on the enquiries desk. He told me that not all addresses were put on the back of medal index cards and that included the ones for officers.

It is also not possible to view them ( :( )

Ian

I have seen the address on the front as well, in the remarks box. Pte Harold C Shorley of the 6th Bedfords is an example.

Cheers.

Ian,

I would happily settle for a reasonable sample of addresses, but that's because of what I'm interested in. Can only hope 'they' will eventually change their minds about acess to these.

Jock

If you tell us all you know we may be able to help you

Michael

Hi Michael,

All I have is his name Henry Matson, date of birth, 21/8/1893 place of birth Harrogate Yorks. Survived the war and had some experience of horses, I will probably travel to Pro at some time, but was just after as much info before going there, regarding the search, maybe save some time, as I will have to travel from Liverpool. I know he had campaign medals, from my mother, but these were missing at his death [ 1972 ]. Any help would be appreciated, also if people could clear up what items are acceptable to take in with you inside the different rooms.

David

The best thing to do is let us know when you're thinking of going to the PRO and if one of the regulars are there we'll show you the ropes. Its best to go on a Thursday or Tuesday to benefit from the longer opening hours.

His name doesn't sound that common so you may be in luck - I'll let you know how many there are tomorrow.

Michael

David

Here are a the only likely candidates (from MIC's)

Sapper H Matson Royal Engineers

Gunner Henry G Matson Royal Garrison Artillery

Captain H Deardon Matson Machine Gun Corps

Private HA Matson Tank Corps

Michael

Thanks for that michael, haven't finalised my trip to Kew yet, but have already received lots of help here. Amazing how things take off on the web, started looking some time ago, but seemed to just end up down "blind alleys" this site has definetely inspired me to try again.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Are you aware that if you are researching all the men with your family name.

You can purchase from the P.R.O. on Microfische all the Medal Index Cards for your name.

I did this some years ago. It wasn't terribly expensive and only took about 2 or 3 weeks. If you write and ask for a quote they will give you a quote and you can then decide whether or not to proceed.

I bought all the Mackay/Mckays (over 8,000 names).

Ken.

p.s. to last post.

There are 360 Cards per Fische.

I also bought the microfische for my name for Ladies & various awards.

D.C.M. M.M. M.S.M. M.I.D. T.F.E.M. & G.S.M.

So these are all available too.

Ken.