Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Army service numbers

carolm

Hi everyone,

I don't have much experience with New Army service numbers, my area of interest being Territorials. Were numbers issued in blocks as were the 1917 Territorial numbers? Is there any way of identifying a Battalion just from the number?

I'm currently researching 4 brothers from Aberdeenshire - 3 of whom died. Two of those who died were in the 5th Gordons. The third brother, Alexander John Thomson, was in the Gordons with number S/19588. He later moved to the Black Watch (8th Bn) S/41414 and died 19/7/1918. (CWGC) I was interested in seeing if I could find out which unit of the Gordons he was in. Is this possible just from the number?

In addition, if anyone knows what the 8th Black Watch were doing around that time (July 1918), that would be useful too.

Thanks

Carolyn

Is there any way of identifying a Battalion just from the number?

Carolyn

In my experience, the general answer is "no". And definately "no" when it comes to later recruits (say, post mid-autumn 1914).

My experience is limited to some research with Cheshire and Manchester Regiment recruits.

John

Thanks John.

I thought it might be too much to hope for.

Carolyn

I think John's basically right.

However, my Great Uncle enlisted in the Royal Sussex Regiment in September 1914 with a service number G/2164. This gave the possibility of about three battalions.

I had a look at the Soldiers Died book for the Royal Sussex and plumbed for the battalion with the most number's near 2164, which incidently was the 8th (Pioneers). I then trawled through the War Diary and to my amazement found a reference to him (with his number) as being gassed on 04/10/16. The reference even gave his Company.

I know this was very lucky because few battalions seemed to have had time to record the names of Other Ranks in their War Diaries, however, it shows it is possible on occasion.

Regards,

Ian.

Carolyn,

Best thing to do is to actually get hold of a copy of his Medal Roll Sheet from the Medal Roll Books. If you have a copy of his Medal Index Card the code on there will direct you to the volume you require. This will enable you to find out which battalion/s he served with overseas. It's a much easier way of finding out as opposed to trying to work it out from regimental numbers.

Graham.

Thanks to you all for your replies. I was just hoping there would be a way of working it out without having to spend too much money. I'm sure I single handedly support the National Archives. They should name a wing in my honour. :(