Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Somerset L.I. Photos Please

pompeyrodney

Best I can do is for now is the attached photo of my Grandfather and Great Uncle A. Cyril Parsons. My Great Uncle was originally Lt. in the 7th SLI later a Captain in the 1st SLI. He was killed March 29, 1918 attempting to bring in his wounded men. I noticed it looks like my Great Uncle is wearing a regular uniform I understand this was common later in the war.

I still hope to get more photos from my mother some of which may include 7th SLI, you never know.

post-18142-1169472619.jpg

Interesting photo thank you for posting it. I have taken a look in Brendons book for Lt Parsons and it mentions him being wounded on October 7th 1916 Page 113. This is the day my G Greathfather was killed at Transloy. When he was killed he was Acting CSM for C Company.

Would you know what company Lt Parsons was attached to ? You never know they may have been in the same company.

Thanks

Barrie

Hi Julian

The SLI Museum is part of the County Museum at The Castle Taunton, however the archives are at the Somerset Record Office, Obridge Road, Taunton

The Archive Catalogue is available on line at

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/dservea/

You may find it worth a visit

Brian

Hi Brian

I followed your link but was dismayed to find I was unable to view and of the documents available, is that correct. Are you not able to download any of the docs?

Cheers

Julian

Anyway "pompeyrodney" if you've stayed with me I may be able to help in your quest.

Gordon

Yes I am still here Gordon, keenly following this thread. If any photos turn up I shall be a happy man as I would love to see my grandfather in uniform for the first time. I am currently trying to track down his medals as none of his surviving relatives have any idea where they are.

Cheers

Julian

Probably sold, just as my Great Uncle's medals and death plaque was! Times were hard for those left behind. Many sold them off, such a shame! :(

I to would dearly love to see a pic of my man. Have tracked down the local village 7th SLI casualty list in the Thornbury Gazette, but no pics, just a paragraph about his early life. Still, better than nowt I suppose! :)

Chris,

I hadn't thought of trying the local papers of the time for a picture as we do not one either. Was this common practice at the time ? I imagine it would be in the paper local to the area they lived. Is there an easy way to find out what the local papers were or is it just a case of research ?

Cheers

Barrie

I just rang the current local paper and asked them. They pointed me in the right direction and the search engine did the rest! :) Once I found the relavent nespaper for the locality at the time, a trip to the news paper records dept in Bristol followed and bingo! A nice 1916 couple of paragraphs on his early life and that was that, but no photo. :( Never mind, the rest was most satisfying! :) Give it a whirl, you never know!

I have started the ball rolling earlier after reading your thread. Fingers crossed you never know I may find that elusive photo.

Many thanks

Barrie

Julian

Yes I'm afraid that only the SLI catalogue is on-line. The archive was originally stored in filing cabinets at the Somerset Light Infantry Office in Taunton until about five year ago when a Lottery grant enabled the files to be catalogued and transferred to suitable storage in the Somerset Record Office. A further grant has been received to digitalise the images and work is proceeding on this, but I have no idea when it will be finished and whether the pictures will be available on line.

In another project the 'Friends of the Archive' are transcribing the muster rolls of the 7th Bat. from the original books which are in a very delicate state. Again I don't know completion time or availability.

I normally go over to Taunton every four or five weeks and if you have any specific requests I can do some lookups for you.

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

If ever you get a chance and you are in Taunton again soon if you happen to see any information on my G Grandfather, mentioned on avatar below I would be most grateful.

Barrie

My Grandfather, and his brothers I presume, went to school in Taunton, Kings College. For some unkown reason my Grandfather emigrated to Manitoba, Canada to farm just prior to the war. At the start of the war he went back to England to "sign up". After the war he settled back in Canada to farm but in Alberta. His wife died at childbirth as did the child. At about age 40 he met my Grandmother also from England who had emigrated to Canada as a war bride. Her husband was not the best kind so she left him, which was very brave in the 1920's. She then met my Grandfather and had my Mom. I now live in Newfoundland, Canada having been born in British Columbia. It's a tangled path and one reason I continue to search for answers about his part in the Great War.

To answer an earlier post of B Sears unfortunately I have no idea what Company my Great Uncle was with. Nonetheless it amazing to "meet" another decendent whose ancestor may have cross paths with mine.

PS. My Mom is going to get a few more copies made of the other photos which I will post.

• 10 years later...

Hi all in this thread,

I finally got to visit the grave of my great grandfather in Grove Town cemetery this year. I did quite a lot of research before the visit. The one thing I couldn't find is a picture.

His name was Christopher Downton. He enlisted in the 7th service battalion SLI in mid 1916 and joined a unit fighting in Guillemont in January 1917. He died on Valentines day 1917.

Does anyone out there have any pictures of the 7th battalion around this time?

Many thanks.

Tim.

• 1 year later...

My Great Grandfather Frank William Hadden was 51 when he enlisted with the 7th Battalion of the Somerset L.I. #11593

I appreciate finding a resource list like this.  Fortunately, Frank survived the war - being discharged with Pleurisy on Sept. 30, 1916.

Today, as on all Remembrance days, I take out the 3 war medals I have of his and share them with family. 

If anyone knows if war diaries and more information about the Battalions has been digitalized, I'd appreciate hearing. 

Meanwhile, I've attached a photo of Frank William Hadden: 

Lest we forget, Bev 1324004833_FrankWilliamHadden.jpg.5658dcc7c81cf678d7b4d2f88aa1d403.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 07/01/2007 at 15:32, themonsstar said:

Also as well as Brenden's book there is another book on the 7th Battalion SLI, its 'Scrap Book of the 7th Bn Somerset Light Infantry' published 1932, by H.A. Foley.

I just managed to acquire a copy, so if anyone wants something looked up in this book, drop me a line. For the record, there are no photos in it. It's got various recollections, placed (more or less) in chronological order from 9 different members of the battalion, some of them quite funny. Example: Lt. Col. RP Preston-White wrote, "Scene: Front Line, Laventie, 1915. C.O. on leave, Major ____ commanding Battalion. Time 11pm. The Major arrives in my Company line. We meet and he asks me what the wire is like on my front. I have often wondered myself, as I have had considerable difficulty in finding any; however, I say the wire it is not too bad. The Major has never been in No Man's Land and suggests we go and inspect wire on my front. I go with him and hope we may fall over a few strands somewhere. After looking about for some time, and my continually saying, "It should be about here, sir," imagine my horror when he suddenly flashed on his electric torch, waved it about and called out in a loud voice, 'I say, where is this ____ wire?' I did not wait to reply, but left him to it; strange to say, nothing happened, and on his return he asked me why I cleared out in such a ____ hurry. 'Far be it from me.'"

Edited by Jon1906

It always brings a smile to my face when some of these old postings pop-up and some of the members what we've lost over the years what really contributed to the greater knowledge to help out with the research were all trying to achieve sometimes.

Roy