Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Enlistment dates required

Wayne Saillard

A bit more information on Sergeant Stuart Charles Everett (7/194) of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles.

“Sergt Stewart Everett (died from enteric at the Dardanelles) was a son of Mr Horatio Everett, chairman of the Waimea County Council. The Nelson Mail says that Sergt Everett went with the first NZ forces, and had taken part in the Dardanelles fighting. Letters were received from him only a few days ago stating that he was well. The family had received no word that he was ill, the announcement of his death being the intimation to come to hand. He was 21 years of age, and worked on his father’s orchard at Riwaka. He was a well-known footballer, and a district champion at lawn tennis.”

Source: The Evening Post Mon Aug 9 1915, Col I, Page 8

Note the spelling of the first name.

Zack

Wayne

Information on GRIPP Trooper, Hans Victor 11/492 Wellington Mounted Rifles - 2nd Squadron for you.

This file is 13 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are seven main documents (1 to 7) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Hans Victor Gripp was born in Geraldine, a small town south of Christchurch, South Island New Zealand on 18 February 1892. Hans Gripp underwent his medical examination on 12 August 1914 at Hawera, North Island, New Zealand and attested at Hawera, on 17 August 1914.

His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the 2nd Mounted Rifles. On enlistment he joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles - 2nd Squadron.

His apparent age on enlistment was 22 years 6 months.

Hans Gripp was a farmer by ‘occupation’ and was living and working at Raetihi (in the North Island) prior to enlisting. He was single. His father lived in Raetihi, North Island New Zealand. He had two other brothers who also served in the war: Ernest Raukapuka Gripp, (15/46), Wellington Mounted Rifles, who was killed in action in Gallipoli on 30 May 1915, and Leo Grainger Gripp (30430). According to Richard Stower’s Bloody Gallipoli – The New Zealander’s Story (page 312) Hans was present at the No 3 Outpost engagement between 28 – 30 May 1915 in which his brother Ernest was killed.

Victor Gripp’s medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall and weighed 156 lb. His complexion was fair; colour of eyes blue and colour of hair light brown. His religious profession was Church of England.

He left Wellington, New Zealand on HMNZT No 10 (Arawa) with the Main Body (8,444 troops) on 16 October 1914 and on his arrival in Alexandria (3 December 1914) he was hospitalised with German measles for a day. It is likely that he had this illness on broad the Arawa in the latter portion of the voyage.

He received gun shot wounds to his right side and chest on 11 August 1915 and was sent from Anzac Cove to Malta. He died of wounds received on Gallipoli in Malta on 28 August 1915. He is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery, Plot A. Row XI. Grave 4.

I have a photograph of this man, which I will send to you.

1 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1

Personal Record of Registration No 11/492

NAME Gripp

Regiment Hans Victor

2 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: WMR 2nd Squadron

Surname: Gripp

Christian Name: Hans Victor

No: 11/492

Religion: Church of England

Place of Birth: Geraldine

Date of Birth: 18 Feb 1892

Last New Zealand address: Raetihi

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Mr H M Gripp Raetihi

Medal action

Stamped MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 15 Oct 1923

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mr H M Gripp (F) Raetihi

Service

Data shown in order as Country or Troopship; Date from; Date to:

New Zealand; 17.8.14; 15.10.14

Foreign; 16.10.14

Wounds

Died of wounds Malta received at Malta ex Gallipoli

Medals auth to Mr H M Gripp (f) Raetihi

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Gripp Hans Victor

Reg No 11/492

Roll No 505081

Scroll despatched (Date) 7 Jun 1921

Plaque 26 Nov 1921

Recipient and address: Mr H M Gripp Middle Rd Raetihi

Written down left hand side: Cert Posted 9/10/22 AWE

3 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 11/492

Regiment or Corps Wellington MR 2nd Squadron

Rank Trooper

Name Gripp Hans Victor

Enlisted (a) 17/8/14

Terms of Service (a) Period of war

Service reckons from (a) 17/8/14

Data shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15/8/15; O/C WMR; Report wounded; Anzac Cove; 11.8.15; B213

28/8/15; Cable Commdt; Died of wounds GSW R & Chest; Malta; 28/8/15; A5692

Signed N Fitz Herbert Capt OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

File stamped 17 NOV 1915 C.A.M

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 11/492

Name Pte Hans Victor Gripp

Regiment or Unit: 2nd M Rifles

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? Hans Victor Gripp

2 Where were you born? Geraldine South Canterbury

3 Are you a British subject? Yes

4 What is the date of your birth? 18 Feb 1892

5 What is your trade or calling? Farming

6 Are you an indentured apprentice? If so where and to whom? No

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Raetihi

8 Have you passed the Fourth Educational Standard or its equivalent? Yes

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Own employer

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? In 2nd MR

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. No

14 Have you truly stated the whole (if any) of your previous service? Yes

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? Yes illegible?

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

17 Are you willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated? Yes

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I Hans Victor Gripp do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit H V Gripp

Signature of Witness W N Janson Lieut

Oath to be taken by recruit on attestation

I, Hans Victor Gripp, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

Certificate of Magistrate or Attesting Officer

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Hawera NZ on this 17 day of August 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer E C Dovey Capt NZSC

Description of Hans Victor Gripp on Enlistment

Apparent age: 22 years 6 months

(To be determined according to the instructions given in the Regulations for Army Medical Service.)

Height: 5 feet 5 ½ inches

Weight: 156 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 36 inches Maximum 38 ½ inches

Complexion: Fair

Colour of eyes: Blue

Colour of hair: Light brown

Religious profession: Church of England

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Nil

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye 6/6

Sight: Left eye 6/6

Hearing: Right ear Normal

Hearing: Left ear Normal

Colour vision Normal

Are his limbs well formed? Yes

Are the movements of all his joints full and perfect? Yes

Is his chest well formed? Yes

Is his heart normal? Yes

Are his lungs normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Good

Is he free from hernia? Yes

Is he free from varicocele? Yes

Is he free from varicose veins? Yes

Is he free from haemorrhoids? Yes

Is he free from inveterate or contagious skin disease? Yes

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? Yes

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? Nil

Remarks

Fit

Certificate of Medical Examination

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

I consider him fit for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

SIGNED W M Thomson Medical Officer

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Examined On 12 day of August, 1914

At Hawera NZ

Birthplace Geraldine South Canterbury

Country New Zealand

Declared age: 22 years 6 months

Trade or occupation Farmer

Height: 5 ft 5½ in

Weight 156 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 36 in Maximum expansion 38 ½ in

Physical development: normal

Small pox marks:

Vaccination marks Arm Right Left Vaccinated

Approved by W M Thomson Medical Officer

Enlisted on 17 day of August 1914, at Hawera NZ

Joined on enlistment Well Mounted Rifles

Regimental No 11/492

Date 17 Aug 1914

6 FORM NOT TITLED

Written down left hand side of form:

Data shown as: Station or Troopship; Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation; Station or Troopship; Discharge from Hospital; Disease; Number of Days in Hospital; REMARKS ON NATURE OF DISEASE:

HMNZT No 10; 4.12.14; 3.12.14; 4.12.14 German measles; I day; Sent to Hosp ill?

?; 6.4.15; BLANK; BLANK; BLANK; Alexandria

7 Military History Sheet

No 11/492

Name Hans Victor Gripp

Data shown as: Country; From; To; Days

1 Service record; New Zealand; 17 Aug 1914; 14 Oct 1914; 59 days

1 Service record; NZ Transport 10; 15 Oct 1914; 3 Dec 1914

1 Service record; Disembarked Alexandria Egypt 3 Dec 1914

1 Service record; Egypt; 4 Dec 1914

4 Wounded; 11 August 1915

10 Name and address of next of kin; Mr H M Gripp Raetihi NZ

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 11/492

NAME: Hans Victor Gripp

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates:

WMR; Attested; Trooper; 17/8/14

WMR; Wounded; Trooper; 11/8/15

Died of wounds recd at the D’nelles 28/8/15

Reference Source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 57

Record 0048156

Zack

Wayne

Information on HALL, Stanley Trooper 7/498 Canterbury Mounted Rifles 1st Squadron (HQ) for you.

This file is 19 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are seven main documents (1 to 7) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Stanley Hall was born in Wellington, New Zealand on 23 September 1887.

He underwent his medical examination on 27 August 1914 at Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand and attested at Christchurch, on 28 August 1914. Interesting to note that while his file described the condition of his teeth as ‘plates’ and his enlistment seemed to be “held over pending dental attention” it didn’t hold him up too long as he attested the very next day. His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the Nelson College Cadets. On enlistment he joined the Canterbury Mounted Rifles 1st Squadron (HQ.)

His 'declared age' on enlistment was 26 years.

Stanley Hall was a ‘coach agent’ by ‘occupation’ and was working for his father Archibald Hall of 97 Hill Street Wellington, prior to enlisting. He was single.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 8½ inches tall and weighed 147 lb. His complexion was dark; colour of eyes hazel and colour of hair black. His religious profession was Presbyterian.

He left Wellington, New Zealand on HMNZT No 4 (Tahiti) with the Main Body (8,444 troops) on 16 October 1914 and arrived in Alexandria on 3 December 1914. (OC Troops Lieut Col John Finlay and Ship’s Master F P Evans RNR.) He was vaccinated against typhoid on 14 January 1915 and showed “positive” whatever that means.

Stanley Hall arrived in “Anzac” on “command to New Zealand Army Corps” on 9 August 1915. On 28 August 1915 he was reported missing from his unit. According to Richard Stower’s Bloody Gallipoli – The New Zealander’s Story (page 313) he had been evacuated wounded off Gallipoli to Malta aboard Hospital Ship Devanha arriving in Malta on 4 September 1915 where he died of his wounds on 11 September 1915. His death on the file is described as “died of paralysis resulting from GSW spine.” What a dreadful death!

He is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery, Plot B. Row IX. Grave 2.

Personal Record of Registration No 7/498

NAME Hall Stanley

Regiment CMR (Headquarters)

Group: 9

2 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 7/498

Regiment or Corps Canterbury Mtd Rifles 1st

Rank Trooper

Name Hall, Stanley

Enlisted (a) 28.8.14

Service reckons from (a) 28.8.14

Data is shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15.8.15; CMR; Arrived Anzac on command to NZ Army Corps; Anzac; 9.8.15; B213 15/8/15

29/8/15; O/C CMR; Reported missing; Dardanelles; 28.8.15; B213 from unit 20/8/15

13/9/15; Commdt Malta; Died of paralysis resulting from GSW spine; Malta; 11.9.15; Malta 13/9/15 A9505

Signed N Fitz Herbert Major OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped entered on history sheet 30.3.17

3 Military History Sheet

Two of these forms are on file. Compilation follows.

No 7/498

Name Stanley Hall

Data is shown in order as: Country; From; To; Days; Initials of Officer making Entry:

1 Service record: New Zealand; 28.8.14; 14.10.14; 48 days; D B B

1 Service record: At Sea T No 4; 15.10.14; Disembarked Alexandria 3.12.14; 50 days; D B B

1 Service record: Egypt; 4.12.14; -; -; ; -; -;

10 Name and address of next of kin; Archibald Hall 97 Hill St Wtgn

11 Particulars of marriage: Single

Intended place of residence on discharge: Christchurch

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

CMR; -; Trooper; 28/8/14; D B Blair

1st Sqdr CMR; Arrd Anzac on Command NZ Army Corps; Trooper; 9.8.15; J Hornblow

-; Died of wounds causing paralysis Malta; Trooper; 11.9.15

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 7/498

Name Stanley Hall

Regiment or Unit:

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? Stanley Hall

2 Where were you born? Wtgn

4 What is the date of your birth? 23 Sept 1887

5 What is your trade or calling? Coach agent

7 What was the address at which you last resided? 97 Jill St Wtgn (note: one document records 93 Hill St Wtgn)

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Archibald Hall 97 Hill St Wtgn

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Nelson College Cadets

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I Stanley Hall do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit: S Hall

Signature of Witness: F Macfarlane

I, Stanley Hall, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Chch, NZ on this 28 day of Aug 1914

Signature of Attesting Officer F Macfarlane

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of Stanley Hall on Enlistment

Apparent age: 26 years - months

Height: 5 feet 8½ inches

Weight: 147 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 33 inches Maximum 36 inches

Complexion: Dark

Colour of eyes: Hazel

Colour of hair: Black

Religious profession: Presbyterian

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye Normal

Sight: Left eye Normal

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Plates

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? No

Remarks

Held over pending dental attention

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

27 Aug 1914

SIGNED R Neil Guthrie Major NZMC Medical Officer

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Hall

Christian Name: Stanley

Examined On 28 day of August, 1914

At BLANK

Birthplace Town Wellington

Country NZ

Declared age: 26 years

Trade or occupation Coach agent

Height: 5 ft 5½ in

Weight 147 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 33 in Maximum expansion 36 in

Approved by R Neil Guthrie Medical Officer Maj NZMC

Re- vaccinated on 14 day of Jan, 1915

Arm: Right Number: 2 illegible

Result: positive

Medical Officer illegible

Enlisted on 28 day of August 1914, at Christchurch

Joined on enlistment CMR

Regimental No 7/498

6 FORM - NO TITLE

NZ Service 26 days

Illegible

7 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: CMR NZ

Surname: Hall

Christian Name: Stanley

No: 7/498

Religion: Presbyterian

Place of Birth: Wtgn

Date of Birth: 23 Sept 1887

Last New Zealand address:

Last employer: Arc Hall 97 Hill St Wtgn

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Archibald Hall 97 Hill St Wellington Note: Memo From Public Trust states Mrs A Hall 97 Hill St Wtgn beneficiary (m) to rec A S Grat and medals

Medal action

MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 16 OCT 1923 :

Legatee and address: Mrs A Hall (M) 97 Hill St Wtgn

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Archibald Hall (F) 93 Hill Str Wellington (note address!)

Died of sickness 304 2.10.15 Paralysis caused by wounds Sept 11th

AFB 103 Died of paralysis resulting from GS W Spine Malta 11 Sept 1915

Buried Pieta Cemetery Malta

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldiers name: Hall Stanley

Reg No: 7/498

Roll No: 505222

Scroll despatched: (Date) 9 JUN 1921

Plaque: 9 JAN 1922

Recipient and address: Mr A Hall 93 Hill St Wtgn

Written down left hand side: “Cert posted 26/7/22.”

Reference source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 68

Record 0049298

Zack

Zack, there's a Café De Paris hotel in Palmerston North that has been there for decades. I wonder if the Dannevirke one was another run by the same family or company, and may also have been a hotel rather than an actual café?

Allie

I heard back about the café, Zack. Apparently it was quite a largish building on the High Street, up from the BNZ bank towards Allardice Street (if anyone is familiar with Dannevirke). It was a two-storey building, with living accomodation above the café. In later years, the café was known as Loaders Tea Rooms.

I'm guessing we don't require a photo of said place of abode?

Allie

Allie

Thank you for going to the trouble of checking this detail - it's really interesting I think to put the pieces together. I appreciate your efforts. I don't think Wayne will need a photo of the place.

Cheers

Zack

Newspaper article on Robert Craig

The following article while obviously not accurate in terms of ‘where’ Robert Craig died, appeared in October 1915:

“Sergeant Robert Craig, Otago Mounted Regiment, Southland Rifles (who died at Gallipoli of enteric), was a son of Mr John Craig, the Bush, Caroline, and was born at Dipton, and received his education at Caroline School and Lumsden District High School. On leaving school he started work on his father’s farm, continuing there till within a few months before the outbreak of war, when he with a younger brother, got a farm for themselves near Dipton. At the first call for volunteers, he left the farm in his brother and father’s care, and joined the Main Expeditionary Force. Sergeant Craig was a member of the Territorials, in which he rapidly gained promotion.”

Source: Otago Witness October 27 1915

The good news is that there is also a photograph (passport size) of him in the same edition of the newspaper on page 39.

Zack

Wayne,

For

NANCARROW, 7/688

Lieutenant, Vincent Fosbery

Enlisted

Canterbury Mounted Rifles

Died of enteric - age 22

Wednesday, 4 August 1915

Buried at Pieta Military Cemetery

Plot B. Row V. Grave 1.

There is a line of information in "Some records of the NZEF - unofficial but compiled from official sources by Lt Col John Studholme.

viz

Nancarrow, VF

Highest rank held in NZEF Lieut 21/11/14

Canterbury Mtd Rifles

Rank and date of first appointment in NZEF Lieut 21/11/14

Date struck off strength 4/8/15

Died of sickness at Malta from Gallipoli

I presume it is likely that Nancarrow L F of the NZ dental corp may well have been a relation. "LF" survived, rising from the rank of lieut (20/7/17) to capt (19/10/18) and struck of the strength 6/3/19. He was appointed to H S Marama.

I hope this adds a little to the picture.

Wayne

Information on HOURSTON, 9/710 Trooper, John - Otago Mounted Rifles for you.

This file is 24 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm – a lot of these documents are faded and some of the documents are so fade they can’t be read! Also on this file there is some slightly conflicting data recorded with respect to personal information. This file is I think a good example of lack of concentration with respect to various people recording different information about the same issue. In total there are nine main documents (1 to 9) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

John Hourston was born in Oamaru, New Zealand on 29 December 1884.

He underwent his medical examination on 28 or 29 September 1914 (both dates are shown) and attested at Trentham, on 26 October 1914 although his war service counted as from 20 October 1914.

His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the Clutha Mounted Rifles. On enlistment he joined the Otago Mounted Rifles 7th (Southland) Squadron.

His ‘apparent age' on enlistment was 29 years. (One form states 30 years.)

John Hourston was a ‘labourer by ‘occupation’ working for himself and living at Kahuika, South Island New Zealand. He was single.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 10½ inches tall and weighed 156 lb. His complexion was described as ruddy; colour of eyes blue and colour of hair dark brown. His religious profession was Church of England.

His file records that he was promoted to corporal on 31 October 1914 and yet by his death he was simply described as a trooper.

While his file doesn’t record which ship he left New Zealand on it would have been on one of the 3rd reinforcement transports carrying 1,719 troops that left New Zealand on 14 February 1915: Maunganui (No 17), Tahiti (No 18) or Aparima (No 19). Unfortunately his file doesn’t record when he landed on Gallipoli. However, on the 15 August 1915 he was admitted to the 16th Casualty Clearing Station suffering from enteritis and he was transferred to Mudros the same day. He was further transferred from Mudros to Malta where on 25 and 28 August 1915 he was reported as “dangerously ill.” He died of dysentery and pneumonia at Malta on 30 August 1915.

He is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery Plot A. Row XII. Grave 2.

NAME: HOURSTON John

Regiment: OMR

Number: 9/710

“Died of sickness 30 8 15”

2 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

NOTE: This form is mostly typed – ye ha!

ATTESTATION OF

No 9/710

Name HOURSTON John

Regiment or Unit: MOR

1 What is your name? John Hourston

2 Where were you born? Oamaru

4 What is the date of your birth? 29 Dec 1884

5 What is your trade or calling? Labourer

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Kahuika

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Self

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes Clutha MR Resigned

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

17 Are you willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated? No

I John Hourston do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit John Hourston

Signature of Witness K B Smith

I, John Hourston, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 26th day of October 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer E S Perry Lt

Description of John Hourston on Enlistment

Apparent age: 29 years

Height: 5 feet 10½ inches (note one form shows 5 feet 10¼ inches)

Weight: 11 st 2 lb (note one form shows 156 lb)

Chest measurement Minimum 37 inches Maximum 40½ inches

Complexion: Ruddy

Colour of eyes: Blue

Colour of hair: Dk Brown

Religious profession: Church of England

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Artificial

Remarks

None stated

29 September 1914

SIGNED illegible Medical Officer

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Hourston

Christian Name: John

Note: Two of these forms exist and while one is mostly blank the second one is complete.

Examined: On 28 day of Sept, 1914

At: not stated

Birthplace: Town Oamaru

Declared age: 30 years months (note age difference from one other form)

Trade or occupation Labourer

Height: 5 ft 10¼ in (note slightly different height from another form)

Weight: 156 lb (note weight difference from one other form)

Chest measurement: Minimum, 37 in Maximum expansion 40½ in

Approved by Jas Sutherland Medical Officer

Enlisted on 20 day of Oct 1914, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: Otago M Rifles

Regimental No: 9/710

Date 20/10/14

4 FORM – NO TITLE

Admission into Hospital 15/8/15

Disease Enteric

5 EF Form No 33 NEW ZEALAND MILITARY FORCES

NOTE: This form is mostly typed (another ye ha!)

Record No 9/710

Certified that it appears by an official telegram received at this Office that No 9/710 TROOPER JOHN HOURSTON

Of the OTAGO MOUNTED RIFLES, New Zealand Expeditionary Force DIED OF DYSENTERY AND PNEUMONIA

At MALTA on the THIRTIETH day of AUGUST 1915.

W or N A Ewen, Lieut

for Lieut Colonel Adjutant General NZ Forces

Dated at Headquarters, New Zealand Military Forces, Wellington

This SEVENTEENTH day of MARCH 1916

The Local Deputy Public Trustee Solicitor

DUNEDIN

6 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 9/710

Regiment or Corps Otago Mounted Rifles

Rank Trooper

Name Hourston John

Enlisted (a) 20/10/14

Terms of Service (a) end of war

Service reckons from (a) 20/10/14

Data is shown is order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks

Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

16.8.14 (although it would have been 1915); 16th CCS; Admd enteritis; Anzac; 15.8.15; A36 C4712

- ; 16th CCS; Transfd to; Mudros; 15.8.15; A36 C4712

28.8.15; Cdth Malta; Reported dangerously ill; Malta; 26.8.15; Ex cable WB1168 from Cath A5692 28.8.15 Letter from Cdth Malta 19.9.15 purporting to be confirmation of cable dated 2.9.15 from

2.9.15; Cdth Malta; Died dysentery & Pneumonia; Malta; 30.8.15; Cdth Malta

Signed N Fitz Herbert Major OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

File stamped “ Entered on history sheet MM 30.3.17

7 FIELD SERVICE Army Form B2090A

Report of Death of a Soldier to be forwarded to the War Office with the least possible delay after receipt of notification of death on Army Form B 213 or Army Form A 36 or from other official documentary sources.

Regiment or Corps Otago Mounted Rifles

Squadron Troop, Battery or Company 7th

Regtl No 9/710

Rank Trooper

Name Hourston John

Died Date 30 August 1915

Place Malta

Cause of Death* Dysentery & pneumonia

*Specially state if killed in action or died from wounds received in action, or from illness due to field operations or to fatigue, privation or exposure while on military duty, or from injury while on military duty.

State whether he leaves a will or not

(a) in Pay Book (Army Book 64)

(B) in Small Book (if at Base)

© as a separate document

All private documents and effects received from the front or hospital, as well as the Pay Book, should be examined, and if any will is found it should be at once forwarded to the War Office.

Any information received as to verbal expressions by a deceased soldier of his wishes as to the disposal of his estate should be reported to the War Office as soon as possible.

A duplicate of this report is to be sent to the Paymaster at the Base (see Field Service Regulations, Part II), together with the deceased’s Pay Book (after withdrawal of any will from the latter.) If the deceased’s Small Book is at the Base, it should be forwarded to the War Office with this Report.

Signature of Officer in charge of

Section Adjutant-General’s

Office at the Base N Fitz Herbert Major

Station and date Alexandria 13.10.15

8 Military History Sheet

No: 9/710

Name: Hourston, John

Data recorded in order as: Country; From; To; Days; Initials of Officer making Entry

1 Service record: NZ; 20/10/14; 14/12/14; 55 days; G E R

1 Service record: At sea transport; 15/12/14; 2/2/15 disembarked Alexandria; 49 days; G E R

1 Service record: Egypt; 3/2/15;

10 Name and address of next of kin: William Hourston (Father) Kahuika Catlins Otago NZ

Intended place of residence on discharge: Kahuika, Catlins, Otago

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 9/710

NAME: Hourston, John

NOTE: Three of these forms exist on the Military History sheet.

Information is shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Otago Mounted; - ; Tpr; 20/10/14; J B Maclean

Otago Mounted; Promoted to; Corporal; 31/10/14; J B Maclean

OMR; Admitted Hospital; Tpr; 15/8/15; Illegible signature

9 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: OMR

No: 9/710

Religion: C of E

Place of Birth: Oamaru

Date of Birth: 29/12/84

Last New Zealand address: Kahuika

Last employer: not stated

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Father William Hourston Owaka Otago (Houipapa Catlins crossed out)

Medal action

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: W Hourston (F) Owaka Otago

STAMPED MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 28 FEB 1924

Service

NZ Date from 20/10/14

Foreign Date from 14/12/14

Sick

AFB 103 20.3.17 – 31.8.15 Malta Dangerously ill August 25

Buried in Pieta Cemetery Malta

Died of dysentery & pneumonia August 30th

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Hourston John

Reg No 9/710

Roll No 506193

Scroll despatched (Date) 10 JUN 1921

Plaque 23 FEB 1922

Recipient and address: “Mr Wm Hourston Houipapa, Otago” written in and “Kahuika Catlins” crossed out

Written down left hand side “Cert posted 20/9/21?

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5541

Box / item 26

Record 0057008

Zack

Wayne

Information on HARDY, 6/1081 Private, James - Canterbury Infantry Battalion for you.

This file is 20 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm

In total there are nine main documents (1 to 9) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

James Hardy was born in Scotstown, Tasmania, Australia on Feb 7 1889.

He underwent his medical examination on 15 September 1914 in Christchurch and attested at Christchurch, on the same day although another form records that he “enlisted on 15th day of August 1914, at Christchurch” – clearly an incorrect entry. On enlistment he joined the Canterbury Infantry Battalion.

His ‘apparent age' on enlistment was 25 years 7 months.

James Hardy was a ‘labourer by ‘occupation’ working for Mr Davis Federal Hotel Christchurch and living in Christchurch, South Island New Zealand. He was single. His next of kin was Mrs F Smith (Mother) lived at Gilbert Street La Trobe Tasmania.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 140 lb. He had a linear scar front of left thigh, which was described, on his medical examination as a distinctive mark. His complexion was described as medium; colour of eyes brown and colour of hair dark. His religious profession was Church of England.

He left Wellington, New Zealand on HMNZT No 11 (Athenic) as part of the Main Body. He embarked for the Dardanelles from Alexandria on 12 April 1915 and went to Mudros. He landed an Anzac Cove on 25 April 1915 but 23 days later on 18 May 1915 he was shipped off sick on the Hospital Ship ‘Royal George’ to Malta. After getting well he went from Malta to Mustapha where he was attacked to the strength of the New Zealand Advanced Base Depot (16 July 1915). He then went to Mudros via SS ‘Huntsgreen’ (20 August 1915) and eventually rejoined his Canterbury Infantry Battalion unit on 12 October 1915. However, on 16 October 1915 he was admitted with an “enlarged gland” (hernia) to New Zealand Field Ambulance and sent to Mudros where he was admitted to No 3 Australia General Hospital where he was treated. He rejoined his unit at Gallipoli on 31 October 1915 but by 4 November 1915 he was suffering from a suppurating gland (hernia) and sent back to Mudros No 3 Australia General Hospital for further treatment. At Mudros he was transferred via Hospital Ship ‘Soudan’ to Malta where he arrived on 26 December 1915. At this time he was described as “slightly sick“ with ‘paratyphoid’ and was admitted to the Ricasoli Military Hospital. However, by 6 January 1916 he was described as “dangerously ill” and he died of pneumonia 13 January 1916.

There is some confusion recorded on his file in that he is described has having “died of sickness 17/1/16 - died of pneumonia 13.1.16 on board H S Devanha at sea.” However, this was subsequently corrected.

He is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery Plot C. Row VI. Grave 4.

Personal Record of Registration No 6/1081

NAME Hardy James

Regiment Canty Inf

2 Military History Sheet

NOTE: There are three of these forms on file - one blank and two with the same information.

No 6/1081

Name Hardy James

Information shown in order as: Country; From; To; Days; Initials of Officer making entry:

1 Service record: New Zealand; 15/9/14; 15/10/14; 31 days; F.D.M

1 Service record: At sea HMNZT No 11; 15/10/14; Disembarked Alexandria 3/12/14; 50 days; J.J.S

1 Service record: Egypt; 4/12/14; - ; J.J.S

10 Name and address of next of kin: Mrs F Smith Gilbert Street Tasmania

Intended place of residence on discharge: Christchurch

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 6/1081:

NAME Hardy J

Information shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates: Note Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry apart from the first entry (F D Maurice Lt) are illegible.

Canterbury Infantry Battalion; - ; Private; 15/9/14

Canterbury Infantry Battalion; Malta; Private; 18/5/15

Canterbury Infantry Battalion; Attach Base Depot; Private 16/7/15

Canterbury Infantry Battalion; Seriously ill paratyphoid; Private; 1/1/16

Canterbury Infantry Battalion; Removed to dangerously ill; Private; 5/1/16

12 Coy CIB; Rejoined unit Mudros; Private; 12/10/15

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 6/1081

Name Hardy James

Regiment or Unit: CIB

1 What is your name? James Hardy

2 Where were you born? Tasmania Scotstown

4 What is the date of your birth? Feb 7 1889

5 What is your trade or calling? Labourer

7 What was the address at which you last resided? 103 Lower High St Christchurch

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr Davis Federal Hotel Chch

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. 6 months with Tasmania Rangers

I James Hardy declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit James Hardy

Signature of Witness illegible

I, James Hardy do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Christchurch, NZ on this 15 day of Sept 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer illegible Capt

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of James Hardy on Enlistment

Apparent age: 25 years NO months

Height: 5 feet 9 inches

Weight: 140 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 ½ inches Maximum 37 ½ inches

Complexion: Medium

Colour of eyes: Brown

Colour of hair: Dark

Religious profession: C of E

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Linear scar front of L thigh

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his chest well formed? Slight deformity - ? – on r side

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Upper false, Lower fair

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? No

Remarks

Fit

15 / 9 1914

SIGNED E J Jory Medical Officer

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: HARDY

Christian Name: JAMES

Examined On 15 day of September, 1914

At Christchurch

Birthplace Town Scotstoun / Tasmania (note spelling is Scotstown on attestation form)

Country Not stated although obviously Australia

Declared age: 25 years 7 months

Trade or occupation Labourer

Height: 5 ft 9 in

Weight 140 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34½ in Maximum expansion 37½ in

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: Linear scar front of L thigh

Enlisted on 15th day of August 1914, at Christchurch

Joined on enlistment: Canty Infantry Battalion

Regimental No 6/1081

Date 15/8/14

5 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 6/1081

Regiment or Corps Canterbury Inf Bn (12th)

Rank Pte Name Hardy James

Enlisted (a) 15.9.14

Terms of Service (a) period of war

Service reckons from (a) 15.9.14

Information is shown in order as: Date, From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty and Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

12/4/12; O/C CIB; Emb at Alexandria for; D’nelles; 12/4/15; Nom roll

23/5/15; HS Royal George; Disembarked at; Malta; 18/5/15; Ship’s Roll

17/7/15; OC Ad Base; Attached to strength NZ Adv Base Depot; Mustapha; 16/7/15; B213

20/8/15; Emb Roll; Emb on SS Huntsgreen for; Mudros; 20/8/15; Nom Roll

4/9/15; OC Anzac Base; Attached to strength Base Details; Mudros; 28/8/15; B213

12/10/15; OC CIB; Rejoined unit; Mudros; 12/10/15; B213

16/10/15; NZ Fd Amb; Adm to Fd Amb; Mudros; 16/10/15; A36 C4175 Hernia

16/10/15; No 3 Aus Gen Hosp; Adm to No 3 Aus Gen Hosp; Mudros; 16/10/15; A36 C4462 Enlarged gland

7/11/15; OC CIB; Rejoined unit; D’nelles; 31/10/15; B213

6/11/15; No 3 Aus Gen Hosp; Adm to No 3 Au Gen Hosp; Mudros; 4/11/15; A36 C4992 Suppurating gland

22/12/15; No 3 Aus Gen Hosp; Transfd to HS Soudan; Mudros; 22/12/15; W3034 E6418 Suppurating gland

3/1/16; C in C Malta; Adm to Hospital; Malta; 26/12/15; Cablegram from C in C Malta WB4300 Paratyphoid

26/12/16; Mil Hosp Ricasoli; Adm to Mil Hospital; Ricasoli Malta; 26/12/15; F726 Hernia

6/1/16; C in C Malta; Dangerously ill; Ricasoli Malta; 5/1/16; Cablegram from C in C Malta 6/1/15 E5694

?/1/16; C in C Malta; Died of disease pneumonia; On board H S Devanha; 13/1/16; Cablegram from C in C Malta WB 4555 13/1/16

-; Mil Hosp Ricasoli; ; C in C Malta; Died of disease pneumonia; Mil Hosp Ricasoli Malta; 13/1/16; Amended report from SMO Mil Hosp Ricasoli Malta F 1228

Written “Mrs F Smith Gilbert Street (Mother) La Trobe Tasmania"

6 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: CIB

Surname: Hardy

Christian Name: James

No: 6/1081

Religion: Anglican

Place of Birth: Tasmania

Date of Birth: Feb 7th 1889

Last New Zealand address: 103 Lower High Street Ch Ch

Last employer: Mrs F Smith (Mother) Gilbert Street La Trobe Tasmania

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand):

Medal action

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mrs F Smith (Mother) Gilbert Street La Trobe Tasmania

Service

Foreign 16/10/14

Sickness

Information shown in order as: Date; Where Soldier located; Message and remarks

13/6/15; Malta; Arrived 15/5/15

- ; Died of disease Pneumonia On board HS Devanha at sea 13 Jan 1916; - (incorrect)

-; Died of pneumonia Mil Hosp Ricasoli Malta 13 Jan 1916 (amended report); -

Buried Pieta Cemetery Malta

31.12.15; Dis Malta H S Soudan 26/12/15 slightly sick

5.1.16; Seriously ill paratyphoid Malta

6.1.16; Removed from seriously ill to dangerously ill January 5th 1916

9.1.16; - ; Still dangerously ill 9/1/16

17.1.16; - Died of pneumonia 13/1/16 Malta

Died of sickness 17/1/16 Died of pneumonia 13.1.16 on board H S Devanha at sea

Medals to Mrs Smith Gilbert St La Trobe Tasmania

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Hardy James

Reg No 6/1081

Roll No 505418

Scroll despatched (Date) 10 JUN 1921

Plaque 5 JAN 1922

Recipient and address: Mrs F Smith Gilbert St La Trobe Tasmania

Written on left side “Cert posted 3/8/22”

7 FORM – NO TITLE

NZ Service 82 Days

Overseas 478 days

Total NZEF service 1 year 124 days

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 81

Record 0050596

Zack

'Suppurating gland' means pus is forming within it or coming from it.

With paratyphoid (also known as enteric fever) you can either have diarrhoea or constipation, so I'm guessing the herna may have come from him having constipation with it. Listing his death from pnuemonia is interesting - reading a text from 1916 tells me that the pulmonary symptoms of enteric and typhoid (symptoms involving the lungs) could often be confused with pnuemonia unless an autopsy told you differently.

Even today people can die of paratyphoid, due to intestinal complications. And yet supposedly not as severe as typhoid!

Allie

Wayne

Information on HARKER, 12/1653 Private, John William - Auckland Infantry Battalion 16th Coy, A Coy 3rd reinforcements for you.

This file is 22 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. A lot of this file is sadly unreadable as many parts are just too faded to read - even with a strong magnifying glass. There is also a bit of confusing information recorded on the file e.g. records he ‘joined his unit at the Dardanelles’ on 14 December 1914 - when he had enlisted but was still in New Zealand.

In total there are eight documents (1 to 8) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

John Harker was born in Hokitika, West Coast South Island New Zealand on 28th March 1890.

He underwent his medical examination on 10 December 1914 in Taupiri, in the Waikato Region, North Island, New Zealand and while his file records that he attested at Trentham, on 21 December 1914 it also records that he “enlisted on 14 December at Taupiri.” Dr H C Tait who conducted John Harker’s medical examination was a doctor who practised in Ngaruawahia, very near Taupiri. John Harker’s war service “reckons from 14 December 1914.”

His stated prior miliary experience was 2 ½ years as a member of First Westland Rifles. On enlistment he joined the Auckland Infantry Battalion 16th Coy, A Coy 3rd reinforcements.

His ‘declared age' on enlistment was 24 years 9 months.

John Harker was a ‘baker by ‘occupation’ working for C M Gleeson Taupiri. He was single. His next of kin was Mrs Charlotte Harker (Mother) who lived in Bealey Street Hokitika. Interestingly it is recorded on his history file that any “bad news” had to go to his brother G R Harker, Greymouth.

John Harker’s medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 10 ½ inches tall and weighed 156 lb. He had some condition affecting his right leg but I have no idea what the description (very faded) actually means. It reads like: “Lear(?) function upper & middle thirds of ent inter aspect of R Leg.” Do any of the pals know? Obviously it didn’t prevent his enlistment.

His complexion was described as fair; colour of eyes light blue and colour of hair light brown. His religious profession was Presbyterian.

He left Wellington, New Zealand on HMNZT No 18 ('Tahiti') as part of the 1,719 3rd reinforcement troops. Prior to leaving New Zealand and on board the 'Tahiti' he was inoculated against typhoid – 31 January 1915 / 4 March 1915.

The Thirds including John Harker arrived in Zeitoun, Egypt on 26 March 1915. On 6 May they were sent to Helles in time for the 2nd Battle for Krithia. On 19th May they returned to Anzac. On 10 August 1915 John Harker was admitted to hospital and was sent to Malta on 14 August 1915 where he was reported as being dangerously ill. He died of enteric on 19 August 1915. He was buried in the Pieta Cemetery, Malta, Grave No 6, Row 7a on 20 August 1915.

He had lasted almost 100 days in the battle zone.

1 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1 (This is a cover sheet for the file)

Personal Record of Registration No 12/1653

NAME Harker, John William

Regiment BLANK

Group: BLANK

Number: 12/1653

2 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

NOTE: This form is of very poor quality!

ATTESTATION OF

No 12/1653

Name John William Harker

Regiment or Unit: N 2 A Inf B (3rd reinf)

1 What is your name? John William Harker

2 Where were you born? Hokitika

4 What is the date of your birth? 28th March 1890

5 What is your trade or calling? Baker

7 What was the address at which you last resided? C/O C M Gleeson Taupiri

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? C M Gleeson Taupiri

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes First Westland Rifles 2 ½ years

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? Yes Hokitika

I John William Harker do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit J W Harker

Signature of Witness A C Jameson SSM

I, John William Harker, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham? NZ on this 21 day of Dec 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer illegible

Description of Harker, John William on Enlistment

Apparent age: 24 years 9 months

Height: 5 feet 10 ½ inches

Weight: 156 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 31 inches Maximum 36 inches

Complexion: Fair

Colour of eyes: Light blue

Colour of hair: Light brown

Religious profession: Presbyterian

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: ? function upper & middle thirds of ? aspect of r leg (see below clearer writing)

Medical Examination

Hearing: Right ear good

Hearing: Left ear good

Colour vision normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Good

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? No

Remarks

Next of Kin (Mother) Charlotte Harker Bealey Street Hokitika

Dec 10th 1914

SIGNED H C Tait Medical Officer

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Harker

Christian Name: John William

Examined On 10 day of Dec, 1914

At Taupiri

Birthplace Town Hokitika

Country NZ

Declared age: 24 years 9 months

Trade or occupation Baker

Height: 5 ft 10 ½ in

Weight 156 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 31 in Maximum expansion 36 in

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: “Lear function upper & middle thirds of ent inter aspect of R Leg.” No idea what this means! Any of the pals know the significance of this entry?

Approved by H C Tait Medical Officer

Enlisted on 14 day of Dec 1914, at Taupiri

Joined on enlistment A Coy NZI 3rd Reinf

Regimental No 12/1653

Date: 14/12/14

4 FORM – NO TITLE

Information on this form is sparse! Data shown in order as: Station or Troopship; Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation; and REMARKS ON NATURE OF DISEASE:

Troopship No 18 Tahiti 14/12/14 - 13/2/15; 31/1/15 Inoculated Typhoid; Vaccinated 4/3/15

5 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number: 12/1653

Regiment or Corps: Auck Inf Batt 16th Coy

Name: Harker John William

Enlisted (a) 14/12/14

Service reckons from (a) 14/12/14

Data shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

14/8/15; C in C; Disembarked and admitted to Hospital; Malta; 14/8/15; Debility Nom Roll A5688

21/8/15; C in C; Placed on dangerously ill list; Malta; 17/8/15; Cable WB1015 A4413

Progress Cable 27/9/15; C in C; Died of enteric fever; Malta; 19/8/15; Reply to cable of 26/9/15 (to NZ Information Bureaus from Malta)

Stamped “entered on history sheet 30.8.17

6 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: AIB

No: 12/1653

Religion: Presbyterian

Place of Birth: Hokitika

Date of Birth: 28 March 1890

Last New Zealand address: c/o C M Gleeson Taupiri

Last employer: C M Gleeson

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand):

Mother Charlotte Harker c/o Mrs Feildman, Matilida St, looks like “Linauri” but I don’t think such a place in New Zealand exists?

Bad news - Geo R Harker (B) Mackay St Greymouth

Medal action

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mr G R Harker Greymouth (bro)

Stamped “Medal ACTION COMPLETE 20 Feb 1924”

Sick

Date: 7.8.15

Soldier located: Malta

Message and Remarks: Dangerously ill

Died of enteric fever Malta 19 August 1915

Buried at Pieta Cemetery Malta

Died of sickness 289 29.8.15 Died of Enteric 19 August at Malta Buried Pieta Cemetery Malta Grave No 6 Row 7a – 20/8/15

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name: Harker, John Wm

Reg No: 12/1653

Roll No: 505429

Scroll despatched: (Date) 10 JUN 1921

Plaque: 5 Jan 1922

Recipient and address: Mr G R Harker Mackay St Greymouth

Written down left side: “Cert posted 5/8/22.”

7 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3 Military History Sheet

NOTE: There are two of these forms – information following is a compilation:

No 12/1653 (3rd reinforcements)

Name Harker John William

Data is shown in order as: Country; From; To; Days:

1 Service record: NZ; 14/12/14; 12/2/15; 60 days

1 Service record: HMNZT No 18; 13/2/15; 26.3.15 Dis Suez; 42 days

1 Service record: Egypt; 27/3/15; -

5 Wounded: Dangerously ill 17th August 1915

10 Name and address of next of kin: Two entries shown: Mother Charlotte Harker, Hokitika / Advise G R Harker, Greymouth

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Information in order as: Regiment or Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Ranks; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

A Coy; Joined unit D’nelles; Pte; 14/12/14? H G Owens

AIB; - Pte; 8/5/15; H G O

AIB; Adm Hosp; Pte; 10/8/15; H G O

AIB; Adm Hosp Malta; Pte; 14/8/15; H G O

AIB; Dangerously ill; Pte; 14/8/15; H G O

AIB; Died of enteric; Pte; 19/8/15; H G O

8 FIELD SERVICE Army Form B2090A

Report of Death of a Soldier to be forwarded to the War Office with the least possible delay after receipt of notification of death on Army Form B 213 or Army Form A 36 or from other official documentary sources.

Regiment or Corps: Auckland Infantry Battalion

Squadron Troop, Battery or Company 16th Company

Regtl No 12/1653

Rank Private

Name Harker John William

Died Date 19th August 1915

Place Malta

Cause of Death* Enteric Fever

*Specially state if killed in action or died from wounds received in action, or from illness due to field operations or to fatigue, privation or exposure while on military duty, or from injury while on military duty.

State whether he leaves a will or not

(a) in Pay Book (Army Book 64)

(B) in Small Book (if at Base)

© as a separate document

All private documents and effects received from the front or hospital, as well as the Pay Book, should be examined, and if any will is found it should be at once forwarded to the War Office.

Any information received as to verbal expressions by a deceased soldier of his wishes as to the disposal of his estate should be reported to the War Office as soon as possible.

A duplicate of this report is to be sent to the Paymaster at the Base (see Field Service Regulations, Part II), together with the deceased’s Pay Book (after withdrawal of any will from the latter.) If the deceased’s Small Book is at the Base, it should be forwarded to the War Office with this Report.

Signature of Officer in charge of

Section Adjutant-General’s

Office at the Base N Fitzherbert Major

Station and date Alexandria 6th October 1915

Reference source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 82

Record 0050696

Zack

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: “Lear function upper & middle thirds of ent inter aspect of R Leg.†No idea what this means! Any of the pals know the significance of this entry?

Zack, have you got a photocopy of this that you can put up, or did you copy it all out by hand? Being able to look at it would be helpful.

Allie

The faces in the text by the way have not been put there by me - I guess they represent what happens when I use the letter B and place brackets around it. I will try to avoid doing this in the future.

Zack

Wayne

Thought I'd jump ahead a bit. Information on SARGISSON, 11/820 Trooper, Eric Arthur - Wellington Mounted Rifles for you.

This file is 19 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. The file is not in very good physical condition and is very hard to read in places. It has conflicting dates provided and also doesn’t provide a lot of information about the movements of this man. In total there are six main documents (1 to 6) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Eric Arthur Sargisson was born in Porangahau, Hawkes Bay region, North Island, New Zealand on 4 March 1892.

He underwent his medical examination on 20 October 1914 and attested at Trentham on 20 October 1914. His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 10½ inches tall and weighed 170 lb. His complexion was described as dark; colour of eyes brown and colour of hair black. His religious profession was Anglican. He had a distinctive tattoo mark on his left forearm. The file doesn’t state where he was medically examined although the doctor making the examination, F Reid MacKay was a doctor at Dannevirke.

His ‘apparent age' on enlistment was 22 years 6 months.

His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the School Senior Cadets. On enlistment he joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles 9th Squadron.

Eric Sargisson was a ‘shepherd by ‘occupation’ working for G Skiater (sp?), and on one file working for G M Sargisson his father at Porangahau. Eric was single.

Unfortunately his file doesn’t record on which ship he left New Zealand or when he landed on Gallipoli. In Egypt he was sick and was admitted to Hospital at or from Zeitoun on 5 April 1915. He was reported missing at Anzac Cove on 27 August 1915 and had obviously being seriously wounded resulting in a compound fracture of the jaw and he had been transported to Malta.

He died, according to his file, in Tigne Hospital, Malta at 6 am on September 12 1915; and yet a telegram from the Commandant at Malta records the death as 13 September 1915.

He is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery row 10B grave No 2.

1 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: WMR 9th Sqd

Surname: Sargisson

Christian Name: Eric

No: 11/820

Religion: Anglican

Place of Birth: Porangahau

Last New Zealand address: Porangahau

Last employer: G M Sargisson Porangahau

Service

Data is shown in order as: Country or troopship; Date from; Date to

NZ; 20.10.14; 14.12.14

Foreign 14.12.14; -

Medal action

Ad re medals to Mr G M Sargisson (F) Porangahau

Wounds

AFB 103 Died of wounds received in action Gallipoli in Tigne Hos Malta 6 am Sept 12 1915

BR9/2 Buried in Pieta Cemetery Malta row 10B grave No 2

Died of wounds 182 21.9.15 on September 13 1915

Missing 194 Missing August 27th

Death Card - 28.5.17

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Sargisson Eric Arthur

Reg No 11/820

Roll No 5116711

Scroll despatched (Date) 14 NOV 1921

Plaque 2 Dec 1921

Recipient and address: Mr G M Sargisson Porangahau HB

2 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 11/829

Regiment or Corps Wellington M R 9th Sqdn

Rank trooper

Surname Sargisson Eric Arthur (last name crossed out but no other name put in place – although I’ve read the name “Tudway” in Stowers) Perhaps Andy can clarify.

Enlisted (a) 25/10/15

Terms of Service (a) period of war

Service reckons from (a) 25/10/15

11/4/15; AFB213; Admitted to Hospital; Zeitoun; 5/4/15; -

28/8/15; O/C WMR; Report missing; Anzac Cove; 27/8/15; B213

15/9/15; Commdt Malta; Died of wounds Com Frac Jaw; Malta; 13/9/15; Cablegram WB1511 Commdth Malta

Signed N Fitz Herbert Capt OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “FILE 17 Nov 1915 C.A.M

Entered on history sheet LH 28.5.17

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 11/820

Name E Sargisson

Regiment or Unit: WMR

1 What is your name? Eric Sargisson

2 Where were you born? Porangahau

4 What is the date of your birth? 4 March 1892

5 What is your trade or calling? Shepherd

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Porangahau

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? G Skiater? Porangahau

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes School Senior Cadets

I Eric Sargisson do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Eric Sargisson

Signature of Witness Looks like “W Tokeluaa? Lieut”

I, Eric Sargisson, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at illegible, NZ on this illegible day of October 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer illegible

Description of NOT STATED on Enlistment

Apparent age: 22 years 6 months

Height: 5 feet 10½ inches

Weight: 170 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 inches Maximum 39 inches

Complexion: Dark

Colour of eyes: Brown

Colour of hair Black

Religious profession: Anglican

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Tattoo mark on left forearm

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? No decay

Remarks

None

20 Oct 1914

SIGNED F Reid Mackay Capt MD Medical Officer

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Examined On 20 day of Oct, 1914

At NOT STATED

Birthplace Town Porangahau

Country NZ

Declared age: 22 years 6 months

Trade or occupation Shepherd

Height: 5 ft 10 ½ in

Weight 170 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34 in Maximum expansion 39 in

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: Tattoo left forearm

Approved by Dr F Reid MacKay Medical Officer

Enlisted on 20 day of Oct 1914, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: WMR

Regimental No: 11/820

Date: 20/10/14

5 FORM – NO TITLE

NZ Service 50 days

Overseas 274 days

Total NZEF service – years 324 days

6 Military History Sheet

NOTE: There are two of these forms on file – the following information is a compilation.

No 11/829

Name Eric Sargisson

Information shown in order as: Country; From; To; Days:

1 Service record: NZ; 20/10/14; 11/12/14; 56 days

1 Service record: At sea; 15/11/14; 14/1/15(?); 50 days

1 Service record: Egypt; 2/2/15(?)

10 Name and address of next of kin: G M Sargisson Porangahau

Intended place of residence on discharge: Porangahau, NZ

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Information is in order as: Regiment or Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Wellington MR; Attested; Trooper; 20/10/14; looks like J L K Strang Lieut?

-; Reported missing; - ; 27.8.15; Illegible

WMR; Further report Died of Wounds (Malta); - ; 13.9.15; Illegible

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5550

Box / item 114

Record 0101817

Zack

Returning once more to L/Cpl CAMMOCK, William Rowland 10/1060

I have a few bits photocopied from the Dannevirke High School magazines - but only the pages which relate to my great uncle. However, looking through there are a couple of mentions which may be him. There are two magazines per year which outline happenings at the school as well as Old Boys and Old Girls.

I have an R Cammock who started as a new boy at Dannevirke High School in 1908 (one or two years behind my Uncle Jock). I'm fairly certain this is William Rowland going by his middle name, as later on he is talked about as 'Rowland Cammock'. He played rugby in the 'back rank' in the same team as Uncle Jock and gets a few mentions, plus a photo of the team with him in it.

The 1910 Magazine tells us that he passed the Junior Civil Service exam and also the Hawkes Bay Education Board Senior Scholarship exam. He was a good runner, and came second in his heat for the 200 yards open handicap, also mentioned in the 1910 magazine.

The second magazine of 1910 (issued in approximately December) says "Rowland Cammock, who left school this year, has now the position of probationer, Mangapapa School, Gisborne." (Funnily enough my uncle on the other side of the family was Headmaster of that school some 75 years or so later)

1912 tells us he was playing rugby for Victoria College - where he went to Teachers College, as he is lsited as being one of the 8 ex-pupils currently attending lectures there.

The 1914 magazine lists him as one of the Old Boys who left with the Main Body.

There would have been a photo and small obituary about him in the magazine for the second half of 1915, or the first half of 1916, but unfortunately it is not amongst the pages I photocopied.

1917 lists him on the school Roll of Honour and also shows a potential younger(?) brother ('C Cammock') as an Old Boy who is away at the front.

Anyway, here's a photo of the Dannevirke High School memorial which is in the entrance way of the school, next to the main office.

DannevirkeHighSchoolmemorial.jpg

Also, a poor copy of a photo of the Dannevirke High School football team 1909. (sorry, it's a scan of a photocopy) Rowland Cammock is in the front row, 3rd from the left next to the trophy. My uncle Jock is seated directly behind him.

Dannevirkerugby1910.jpg

Allie

(Chris - don't freak about size of photos - hosted offsite!)

Allie

It's quicker than you think as I use a database of WW1 military file blank templates that I have developed on my trusty laptop and that speeds up the process heaps! It usually takes about one hour to review a file and another hour max to form a view re what I see - depending on the condition of the file. I do the overview process on a weekend so my time at Archives is very focussed and usually short.

It's really fun and what's really important is that these young men's stories are told. I hope people viewing this thread appreciate the insight it may provide for people who can’t get to NZ Archives. And I know Wayne is appreciative! He has really interesting information to place these men’s’ stories in the Malta context. I’m just pleased to be able to contribute.

Zack

Wayne

The probate file for James Hardy 6/1081 is three pages long as follows:

Cover sheet:

In the Supreme Court of New Zealand

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the Estate of James Hardy, deceased soldier.

ELECTION TO ADMINISTER ESTATE OF

TESTATE PERSON

(WITH WILL ANNEXED)

J W Macdonald

Solicitor

Public Trust Office

Wellington

Page One

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the Public Trust Office Act 1908 and its amendments; and

IN THE MATTER of the estate of James Hardy, late of Christchurch in the Provincial District of Canterbury in the Dominion of New Zealand, Labourer, but at his death a Private No 6/1081 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased, (hereinafter referred to as “the said deceased”).

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 13th of January 1916 AND WHEREAS the Public Trustee after due enquiries believes that the document hereto annexed and marked “A” and bearing date the 6th day of April 1915 is the last will and testament of the said deceased and was executed by the said deceased while on actual military service within the meaning of section 11 of the Wills Act 1837 and that according to the provisions of such section such will has been validly executed AND WHEREAS no executor is appointed by the said will and the Public Trustee has been requested to administer the estate of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will AND WHEREAS as now known the real and personal estate of the said deceased is set forth in the schedule hereto annexed and marked “B” and the gross value of the same does not exceed the sum of £400 AND WHEREAS probate of the said will has not been obtained NOW THIS IS TO NOTIFY all whom it may concern that in pursuance of section 18 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act 1913 the Public Trustee being so entitled DOTH HEREBY ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will.

Dated the 31st day of August 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page two

“A”

Short Form of Will

In the event of my death I give to

(a) Mrs F Smith

(B) Gilbert Street Latrobe Tasmania

*and I give to (crossed out)

(a) Any money that may be due to me since my service with the forces of New Zealand

(B) Post Office Savings Bank Christchurch NZ

Signature James Hardy

Date April 6th 1915

6/1081

(a) Insert name of person to whom it is desired to leave the money or article.

(B) Insert the amount of money or the name of the article which it is wished to give.

* If the soldier desires to mention only one person in his Will this part is to be left blank, if more than two persons, the names and legacies can be added.

This is the document marked “A” referred to in the annexed Election by me dated the 31st day of August 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page three

“B”

Schedule of property of James Hardy, deceased, as now known to the Public Trustee

Cash in Post Office Savings Bank: £56.10. 5

Military Pay: £27.2.5

Total: £83. 12. 5

This is the schedule marked “B”: referred to in the annexed election by me dated the 31st day of August 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item -

Record 19286/1916

Zack

Wayne

Probate file for Stanley Hall 7/498 – this file is three pages long as follows and is sad to read:

Cover sheet:

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the will of Stanley Hall late of Wellington in the Provincial District of Wellington in the Dominion of New Zealand, Coach Agent, but at his death a Trooper No 7/498 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased.

TESTATE PERSON

(WITH WILL ANNEXED)

J W Macdonald

Solicitor

Public Trust Office

Wellington

Page One

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the will of Stanley Hall, late of Wellington in the Provincial District of Wellington in the Dominion of New Zealand, Coach Agent, but at his death a Trooper 7/498 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased, (hereinafter referred to as “the said deceased”).

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 11th of September 1915 of wounds received in action AND WHEREAS the Public Trustee after due enquiries believes that the document hereto annexed and marked “A” and bearing no date is the last will and testament of the said deceased and was executed by the said deceased while on actual military service within the meaning of section 11 of the Wills Act 1837 and that according to the provisions of such section such will has been validly executed AND WHEREAS no executor is appointed by the said will and the Public Trustee has been requested to administer the estate of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will AND WHEREAS as now known the real and personal estate of the said deceased is set forth in the schedule hereto annexed and marked “B” and the gross value of the same does not exceed the sum of £400 AND WHEREAS probate of the said will has not been obtained NOW THIS IS TO NOTIFY all whom it may concern that in pursuance of section 18 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act 1913 the Public Trustee being so entitled DOTH HEREBY ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will.

AS WITNESS the hand and corporate seal of the Public Trustee this 16th Day of March 1916.

The Public Trustee

by his Deputy

Signed T S Ronaldson

Deputy Public Trustee

Page Two

“A”

Short Form of Will

(a) My property

(B) Mother.

Goodbye

(a) BLANK

(B) BLANK

Signature S Hall

May God Pity me

(Written on the side of this page is “Father Archibald Hall 97 Hill St Wellington”)

7/498

(B) Insert the amount of money or the name of the article which it is wished to give.

* If the soldier desires to mention only one person in his Will this part is to be left blank, if more than two persons, the names and legacies can be added.

This is the document marked “A” referred to in the annexed Election by me dated the 16th day of March 1916.

Signed T S Ronaldson

Deputy Public Trustee

Page Three

“B”

Schedule of property of Stanley Hall, deceased, as now known to the Public Trustee

Cash in Bank: £19. 4. 5

Military Pay: £20. 0. 0

Total: £39. 4. 5

This is the schedule marked “B”: referred to in the annexed election by me dated the 16th day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item

Record 18471/1916

Zack

Wayne

The probate file for John Hourston 9/710 – it is three pages long as follows:

Cover sheet:

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of John Hourston.

TESTATE PERSON

(WITH WILL ANNEXED)

J W Macdonald

Solicitor

Public Trust Office

Wellington

Page One

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of John Hourston, late of Kahuika in the Provincial District of Otago in the Dominion of New Zealand, Labourer, but at his death a Trooper No 9/710 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased, (hereinafter referred to as “the said deceased”).

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 30th of August 1915 AND WHEREAS the Public Trustee after due enquiries believes that the document hereto annexed and marked “A” and bearing date the 21st day of May 1915 is the last will and testament of the said deceased and was executed by the said deceased while on actual military service within the meaning of section 11 of the Wills Act 1837 and that according to the provisions of such section such will has been validly executed AND WHEREAS no executor is appointed by the said will and the Public Trustee has been requested to administer the estate of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will AND WHEREAS as now known the real and personal estate of the said deceased is set forth in the schedule hereto annexed and marked “B” and the gross value of the same does not exceed the sum of £400 AND WHEREAS probate of the said will has not been obtained NOW THIS IS TO NOTIFY all whom it may concern that in pursuance of section 18 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act 1913 the Public Trustee being so entitled DOTH HEREBY ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will.

Dated the 20th day of July 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page two

“A”

Short Form of Will

(a) Wm Hourston, Houipapa Otago NZ

(B) All payments due and deferred also all property which I hold.

(a) BLANK

(B) BLANK

Signature John Hourston

Date 21st May 1915

9/710

This is the document marked “A” referred to in the annexed Election by me dated the 20th day of July 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page three

“B”

Schedule of property of John Hourston, deceased, as now known to the Public Trustee

Freehold: £130

Leasehold: £115

Military Pay: £20

Total: £265

This is the schedule marked “B”: referred to in the annexed election by me dated the 20th day of July 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item -

Record 19088/1916

Zack

Wayne

The probate file on John William Harker 12/1653 – the file is two pages long as follows:

Cover sheet:

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the Real and Personal Estate of John William Harker, late of Hokitika in the Provincial District of Westland. Baker. Deceased, intestate.

ELECTION OF THE PUBLIC TRUSTEE TO ADMINISTER

Page one

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the Administration Act, 1908; and

IN THE MATTER of the real and personal estate of

John William Harker,

Provincial District of Westland.

Baker, deceased (hereinafter called

“the said deceased.”) lately a member of His Majesty’s New Zealand Expeditionary Force serving at the Dardanelles.

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 19th of August 1915, intestate: AND WHEREAS as now known, the real and personal; estate of the said deceased is set forth in the forth in the schedule or list thereof written on the third page hereof, and the gross value of the same as estimated by the Public Trustee at this date does not exceed £400, and whereas nom person has taken out administration to the said estate: NOW, THIS IS TO NOTIFY to all whom it may concern that, in pursuance of the provisions of section 15 of the Public Trust Office Act, 1908, as amended by section 19 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act, 1913, the Public Trustee being so entitled doth hereby ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased, particulars whereof, as now known, appear on the third page hereof.

Dated this 7th day of December 1916

T L Ronaldson

Deputy Public Trustee

Page two

Schedule or list of property belonging to the estate of John William Baker, DECEASED, as now known to the Public Trustee

1 Cash in bank £28. 10. 0

2 Cash in possession BLANK

3 Furniture, effects and jewellery BLANK

4 Live and dead stock BLANK

5 Stock-in-trade, book debts, and goodwill BLANK

6 Leaseholds BLANK

7 Life policy BLANK

8 Pay accrued to death £10.2. 0

9 Mortgages, bonds, &c and interest accrued to death BLANK

10 Shares BLANK

11 All other personal property BLANK

12 Freeholds BLANK

TOTAL: £38. 12.

These men were not rich!

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item

Record 19933/1916

Zack

Wayne

The probate file on Robert McKinley Frazer 9/820 – this file is three pages long as follows:

Cover sheet:

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the will of Robert McKinley Frazer, late of Seacliff in the Provincial District of Otago in the Dominion of New Zealand, Carpenter, but at his death a Trooper No 9/820 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased.

ELECTION TO ADMINISTER ESTATE OF TESTATE PERSON

(WITH WILL ANNEXED)

J W Macdonald

Solicitor

Public Trust Office

Wellington

Page one

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the will of Robert McKinley Frazer, late of Seacliff in the Provincial District of Otago in the Dominion of New Zealand, Carpenter, but at his death a Trooper No 9/820 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased, (hereinafter referred to as “the said deceased.”)

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 4th of September 1915 AND WHEREAS the Public Trustee after due enquiries believes that the document hereto annexed and marked “A” and bearing date the 16th day of March 1915 is the last will and testament of the said deceased and was executed by the said deceased while on actual military service within the meaning of section 11 of the Wills Act 1837 and that according to the provisions of such section such will has been validly executed AND WHEREAS no executor is appointed by the said will and the Public Trustee has been requested to administer the estate of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will AND WHEREAS as now known the real and personal estate of the said deceased is set forth in the schedule hereto annexed and marked “B” and the gross value of the same does not exceed the sum of £400 AND WHEREAS probate of the said will has not been obtained NOW THIS IS TO NOTIFY all whom it may concern that in pursuance of section 18 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act 1913 the Public Trustee being so entitled DOTH HEREBY ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will.

Dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page two

“A”

Short Form of Will

(a) My Mother Mrs J Frazer

(B) Of Stirling Otago NZ

All my real and personal estate whatsoever

*and I give to -

(a) BLANK

(B) BLANK

Signature R M Frazer

Date 16/3/15

9/820

This is the document marked “A” referred to in the annexed Election by me dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page three

“B”

Schedule of [property of Robert McKinley Frazer, deceased, as now known to the Public Trustee

Cash in Post Office Savings Bank: £36.2.5

Military Pay: £20.0.0

Total: £56. 2.5

This is the schedule marked “B”: referred to in the annexed election by me dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item -

Record 18498/1916

Zack

These men were not rich!

I don't know what the daily pay rate was in the NZEF, but I have a rates of pay list for the 2nd NZEF dated 13 June 1940, and it has a private being paid 7 shillings per day whilst in NZ, and 7 shillings and sixpence per day from date of embarkation. With 12 pennies to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound, that meant you got just over two and a half pounds a week whilst away. (I think - I don't add too well in old money!)

So for some of these men - that amount in their will could have represented quite a bit of their service pay for the time they were away.

Allie