Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Enlistment dates required

Wayne Saillard

Wayne

Information on Sergeant Thomas Hillier Denniston (3/195) of the Field Ambulance, New Zealand Medical Corps for you.

This file is 18 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm.

In total there are 7 main documents (1 to 7) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Thomas Hillier Denniston was born in Dunedin, New Zealand on 19 January 1892, although his birth date on a history sheet is shown as 19 January 1894. However, his medical examination on enlistment records his apparent age as 22 years 7 months. He attested at Dunedin on 19 August 1914, New Zealand. He was a 3rd year medical student by ‘occupation.’ He was single, and prior to enlisting he was a member of the University Section Field Ambulance and had belonged to B Battery.

On enlistment he joined the Field Ambulance, New Zealand Medical Corps. His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 11 ½ inches tall and weighed 12 stone 4 lb. His complexion was medium and his colour of eyes blue, and colour of hair fair. His religious profession was Presbyterian.

On 23 August 1914 he is recorded as being in Auckland probably because the ‘Star of India’ (HMNZT No 8) – his transport ship - sailed from Auckland to Wellington and she had on board the Auckland Mounted Rifles and 208 New Zealand Field Ambulance personnel of which Thomas Denniston was one. He left New Zealand with the Main Body on this ship, which was one of 10 that transported the Main Body (8,444 troops) from New Zealand, departing Wellington on 16 October 1914 arriving Suez on 3 December 1914. OC Troops Lieut Col C E R Mackesy; Ship’s Master Kearney.

Between 3 - 5 November 1914 he spent 3 days in hospital on board ship suffering from influenza but it was described as ‘mild’ and he made a fully recovery. (I’ve read a number of diaries and this also happened to many other men on the transports.)

Thomas Denniston clearly had leadership qualities as he was promoted to sergeant on 12 November 1914.

He was based at Zeitoun, Egypt prior to departing for Mudros, Lemnos Island and Gallipoli.

Thomas Denniston would have landed at Anzac Cove on 25 April 1915 and lasted 73 days on Gallipoli before illness hit him. In this time he would have experienced as a member of the New Zealand Medical Corps Field Ambulance some very disturbing sights of wounded, ill and dying troops.

On 7 July 1915 he was admitted suffering from diarrhoea at Anzac Cove to the fleetsweeper, and transported to Mudros, where he was admitted to 16 Stationery Hospital. He obviously remained unwell and was sent on to Imtarfa Military hospital in Malta where he died of enteric on 28 July 1915. His file records he was buried Pieta Cemetery Row #3B Grave #3 by Rev A G McKinnon.

Again as with other men who died from enteric the sad irony is that he had received anti-typhoid inoculations on 1 and 14 October 1914 and had been re- vaccinated on 10th day of January 1915. According to the medical file (below) the result of the vaccination was “successful.”

Please also see earlier newspaper postings.

1 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 3/195

Name Denniston T H

Regiment or Unit: Field Ambulance, New Zealand Medical Corps

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? Denniston T H

2 Where were you born? Dunedin

3 Are you a British subject? Yes

4 What is the date of your birth? Jan 19 1892 (Note birth date on history sheet is 19/1/94)

5 What is your trade or calling? Medical student

6 Are you an indentured apprentice? If so where and to whom? No

7 What was the address at which you last resided? 36 Melville St Dunedin

8 Have you passed the Fourth Educational Standard or its equivalent? Yes

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? -

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? University Section Field Ambulance

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes B Battery: change of occupation

14 Have you truly stated the whole (if any) of your previous service? Yes

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? Yes Dunedin Otago

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

17 Are you willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated? Yes

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I Thomas Hillier Denniston do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Thos H Denniston

Signature of Witness Eugene J O’Neil

Oath to be taken by recruit on attestation

I, Denniston Thomas Hillier, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

Certificate of Magistrate or Attesting Officer

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Dunedin, NZ on this 19 day of Aug 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer Eugene J O’Neil

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of Denniston, T H on Enlistment

Apparent age: 22 years 7 months

Height: 5 feet 11 ½ inches

Weight: 12 st 4 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 38 inches Maximum 42 ¼ inches

Complexion: Medium

Colour of eyes: Blue

Colour of hair: Fair

Religious profession: Presbyterian

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Nil

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye 6/6

Sight: Left eye 6/6

Hearing: Right ear Good

Hearing: Left ear Good

Colour vision Normal

Are his limbs well formed? Yes

Are the movements of all his joints full and perfect? Yes

Is his chest well formed? Yes

Is his heart normal? Yes

Are his lungs normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Both good (upper and lower)

Is he free from hernia? Yes

Is he free from varicocele? Yes

Is he free from varicose veins? Yes

Is he free from haemorrhoids? Yes

Is he free from inveterate or contagious skin disease? Yes

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? Yes

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? No

Remarks

Fit

Certificate of Medical Examination

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

I consider him fit for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

18 Aug 1914

SIGNED Alex R illegible last name Medical Officer (I think it was Alexander Robertson Falconer, Medical Practitioner, Dunedin.)

2 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4)

MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Denniston

Christian Name: Thomas Hillier

Examined On 18 day of August, 1914

At Dunedin

Birthplace Town Dunedin

Country New Zealand

Declared age: 22 years 7 months

Trade or occupation Medical student

Height: 5 ft 11 ½ in

Weight 172 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 38 in Maximum expansion 42 ½ in

Physical development: Fit

Small pox marks: Nil

Vaccination marks Arm Right Left Upper Number 3

When vaccinated 1892

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: Nil

Anti-typhoid inoculation 1.10.14 – 14.10.14

Re- vaccinated on 10th day of January 1915

Result: Successful

Medical Officer deleted status and initials P?CHD written in place

Enlisted on 19 day of August 1914, at Dunedin

Joined on enlistment Field amb

Regimental No 3/195

Date 19/8/14

3 FORM – NO TITLES

Note: There two of the following forms:

Written down left hand side of forms:

Christian Name: Thomas Hillier

One

While most of this form is blank the highlights are:

Station or Troopship: Dunedin; Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation: 19/8/14; Disease: Influenza; Number of days in hospital: 3; REMARKS ON NATURE OF DISEASE Mild Recovered completely; Signature of Medical Officer Pp J Connor Sgt

Station or Troopship: HMNZT 22: 17/4/15

Station or Troopship: Auckland; 23.8.14

Station or Troopship: HMNZT 8; 23.9.14

Station or Troopship: Zeitoun Egypt; 6.12.14

Two

Station or Troopship: Fleetsweeper; 7/7/15

Died of Enteric at Malta 28/7/15

4 ARMY FORM B 103

Casualty Form – Active Service

NOTE: Written on an angle across top right of this word are the words: “Died of Enteric Malta.”

Regiment or Corps Field Ambulance

Regimental Number 3/195

Rank Sergt

Name Denniston Thomas Hiller

Enlisted (a) 19.8.14

Terms of Service (a) End of war

Service reckons from (a) 19.8.14

Date of promotion to present rank 12.11.14

Qualification (B) Med Student 3 years

The data on this form is recorded in order: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty and Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

11.7.15; AFB213; Admitted on Fleet Sweeper; Anzac Cove; 7.7.15; Col Begg CO 11.7.15 Diarrhoea

31.7.15; A36; Admitted 16 Staty Hospital; Mudros; 8.7.15; AFA 36 1/8/15

3.8.15; A2053; Died of Enteric; Malta; 28.7.15; Cablegram WB751 1/8/15 from Commandant Malta

Signed N Fitz Herbert CAPT OC Records Section New Zealand for AAC GHQ 3rd Echelon MEF

File Stamped “Entered on history sheet LF 16/3/17

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3

Military History Sheet

NOTE there are 3 of these forms - slightly less information recorded on the second form and the third form apart from his name is blank.

No 3/195

Name Denniston Thomas Hillier

The following data in recorded in order: Country; Date from; Date to; days: (all other entries on this form are blank)

1 Service record; New Zealand; 19.8.14; 22.9.14; 35 days

1 Service record; HMNZT 8; 23.9.14; 5.12.14; 74 days

1 Service record; Egypt; 6.12.14

2 Certificates; 3rd year medical, Sergeant, Hospital 2 years

10 Name and address of next of kin; Mr G L Denniston (father) Melville St Dunedin. Also a note to notify Mrs W Y? Reynolds 17 what looks like “Cam????e?” Rd Kensington (Dunedin).

Intended place of residence on discharge: Dunedin NZ

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 3/195

NAME: Denniston Thomas Hillier

NOTE: There are four of these forms with slightly newer information recorded on the second, third, and fourth form

The following form has information in order: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank, Dates, Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

One

NZADep; Enlisted; Pvte; 19.8.14; Ernest Boxer

NZADep; Promoted; Sergt; 12.11.14; Ernest Boxer

Two

NZ Med; Confirmed; Sergt; 12.11.14; Letr from GOC

Three

Fld Amb; Admitted Fleetsweeper; Sgt; 7/7/15; H Jenkins

- ; Died of enteric Malta; Sgt; 28/7/15; HJ

Four

F Amb; Posted; Sgt; 12/11/14; blank

- ; Acting Non Com Officer Confirmed; Sgt; blank; blank

- ; Died; -; 28/7/15; -; -

6 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: Field Ambulance

Christian Name: Thomas Hiller

No: 3/195

Religion: Presbyterian

Place of Birth: Dunedin

Date of Birth: 19.1.94 4 - NOTE Date of birth on attestation is given as Jan 19 1892

Last New Zealand address: 36 Melville St Dunedin

Last employer: G L Denniston Noble St Dunedin (Father)

Medal action STAMPED “MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 1 OCT 1923”

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: G L Denniston (F) 82 Bond St Dunedin

Chevrons 4 blue

Service NZ 19.8.14

Foreign 16.10.14

Died of sickness 751 5/8/15 Enteric at Malta 28/7/15

BR 9/2 Died Imtarfa Mil Hosp Buried Pieta Cemetery Row #3B Grave #3 by Rev A G McKinnon

AFB103 Died of Enteric. Malta 28 July 1915

Injuries in or by the Service Entered 16/3/17

Adv re medals to Mr G L Denniston (F) 82 Bond St Dunedin 13.4.21

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Denniston Thos Hillier

Reg No 3/195

Roll No 503275

Scroll despatched (Date) 8 Jun 1921

Plaque 6 Dec 1921

Recipient and address: Mr G L Denniston 82 Bond St Dunedin

Written down left hand side of form: “Cert posted 21.8.22 GLB”

7 FORM - NO TITLE

This form is very faded and a lot of it can’t be read. The following information can be read:

NZ Service 35 Days

Overseas 309 days

Total NZEF service 344 days

Reference source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 29

Record 0033372

Zack

Zack,

Thank you for posting these file summaries. I have posted a link to Stuart Everett's entry to 2 ladies who are researching the Everett family, both of whom are in Australia and have little chance of getting NZ files. They are thrilled to get so much information. Thanks again, Christine

Re: Albert Downes

I have an A Downes on the Gisborne War Memorial - not sure which brother this is supposed to be, but I'm guessing it's Albert as Matawai is not that far from Gisborne, whereas Arthur was living in Kawakawa (Bay?) up near Auckland.

Allie

post-13541-1177918784.jpg

Allie

That's fantastic!! You must have an amazing resource that enabled you to pull up a photo of the memorial! Records will only ever show a little of events - it's the 'flesh on the bones' that make the difference!

Zack

Wouldn't it be fabulous if there was a CD rom of photos of a. war memorials around the country, and b. the name panels so you could see your family member listed? I wonder how one goes about putting together something like that? I'd be willing to contribute photos, if so.

Allie

I've just noticed that that same Gisborne memorial plaque has one of the other men on Wayne's list: H. Adair. Two birds with one stone. :)

Then, by sheer luck: L/Cpl CAMMOCK, William Rowland 10/1060 on the Dannevirke memorial (about 2/3 of the way down).

Allie

post-13541-1178018814.jpg

Allie

I agree! There are some websites and books on the subject but a single source would be great! Hopefully too Wayne will do something like this for his Malta men.

Zack

Wayne

Information on FAIRS, Trooper, Cecil Sydney (13/327) of the Auckland Mounted Rifles for you.

This file is 21 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm.

In total there are 8 main documents (1 to 8) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Cecil Sydney Fairs was born in Auckland, New Zealand on 14 March 1887. His medical examination on enlistment records his ‘apparent age as 25 years’ and yet later on the file his ‘declared age: 27 years.’ (This latter age was much more accurate as his actual age on enlistment, based on his date of birth, was 27 years, 1 months, and 5 days.) He attested at Hamilton, New Zealand on 15 August 1914.

He was a Coach driver by ‘occupation’ and was living in Tauranga at the time of enlisting. He was single, and on enlisting he was a member of the 4th Waikato Mounted Rifles and prior to enlisting he had, for two years, been a member of the Opotiki Mounted Rifles where he had been living and working.

On enlistment he joined the Auckland Mounted Rifles (AMR) – 4th (Waikato) Squadron. He is recorded in the NZEF War Diary Nominal Roll. His commanding officer in this Squadron was Major Alfred Tattersall. Cecil Fairs’ medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 168 lb. His complexion was dark and his colour of eyes grey, and colour of hair brown. His religious profession was Church of England.

He left New Zealand sailing from Auckland to Wellington and departing with the Main Body on HMNZT No 8 Star of India on 16 October 1914, arriving Alexandria 3 December 1914. This ship, carrying 30 officers, 652 men and 305 horses was one of 10 that transported the Main Body (8,444 troops) from New Zealand. OC Troops Lieut Col C E R Mackesy, 11th (North Auckland) Mounted Rifles. Ship’s Master Kearney.

Cecil Sydney Fairs like the rest of the Auckland Mounted Riffles did not take part in the landing at Anzac on 25 April (much to their annoyance according to Sergeant C G Nicol in his book the Story of two Campaigns- Official War History of the Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment 1914 - 1919) - the AMR didn’t arrive at Anzac until 9 May and Fairs didn’t arrive until 13 August 1915 as part of two drafts to bring the AMR back up to strength after their mauling in the early August battle and the impact of disease, particularly diarrhoea. He would have been part of another assault on Hill 60 on 27 August and on August 20 he, with the remnants of the AMR, relieved from the trenches on Hill 60 and moved to Cheshire Ridge where they lay in reserve until September 4. Had Fairs survived he would have been have been one of the remaining (few) members of the AMR that were shipped off on Sep 13 to camp Sarpi at Mudros. Nicol says it all when he writes: “The whole Brigade when it left the Peninsula numbered only 20 officers and 229 other ranks, or about the strength of one squadron and a half.” “The regiments within a few short weeks had practically vanished, and it can be readily understood that the few who had escaped without wounds had difficulty in controlling their emotions. To honour the veterans it was the custom to parade them in a file by themselves in front of the reinforcements which now were coming in. Words can hardly describe the feelings which the sight of the short lines in front of each squadron produced. In front of one squadron would be four men; before another seven, and so on.” “Let us remember that if the brigade was practically annihilated in a struggle that failed, it was a glorious failure.” (Source: The Story of two Campaigns page 85/86).

Cecil Fairs had lasted 26 days before he received gunshot wounds to his side and arm (c 7 September 1915) and was admitted on the Hospital Ship Maheno at Anzac Cove and transported to Malta where on 3 October 1915 his condition was described as “dangerously ill.” Sadly it didn’t seem to be the gunshot wounds that killed him. He survived a further 28 days before dying of dysentery at Malta (St Elmo Hospital) on Tuesday, 5 October 1915, 54 days after landing in Gallipoli.

He was buried on October 6th in the Pieta Cemetery Grave No 2 Row 18B.

1 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (From No 3

Military History Sheet

No 13/327

Name C S Fairs

The data order below is: Country; From; To; Days (the initials of Officer making the Entry are eligible);

1 Service record; New Zealand; 15/8/14; Oct 12; 58 days

1 Service record; New Zealand; Transport No 8; Oct 13 Dec 3 Alexandria disembarkation; 52 days

5 Wounded; Anzac; Wdd Arm side; c7.10.15

10 Name and address of next of kin; New Zealand; Mrs G S (?) Fairs 45 Cooks St Auckland

Intended place of residence on discharge:

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF

Two of these forms

No 13/327

NAME: C S Fairs

The data order below is: Regiment of Corps, Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c, Rank, Dates (Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry is illegible):

AMR 4th MR; Attested; Private; 15.8.14

AMR 4th MR; Wdd arm / side; Private; c 7.9.15

AMR 4th MR; Dangerously ill Malta; no date

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF

No 13/327

NAME: Fairs Cecil Sydney

The data order below is: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

AMR 4th MR; Posted to Unit D’nelles; Tpr; 13.8.15; G P Coates

AMR 4th MR, Died of Dysentery; Tpr; 5.10.15; GPC

2 ARMY FORM B 103

Casualty Form – Active Service

Regiment or Corps Auckland Mounted Rifles 4ths

Regimental Number 13/327

Rank Trooper Surname Fairs, Cecil Sydney

Enlisted (a) 15.8.14 Terms of Service (a) period of war Service reckons from (a) 15.8.14

The data order below is: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents: Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks

Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15.8.15; AMR; Posted to unit at; Dardanelles; 13.8.15; AFB213

8.9.15; HS Maheno; Admitted (GSW side & arm); Anzac; 7.9.15; Nom Roll A10792

5.10.15; C in C; Dangerously ill; Malta; 3.10.15; Cable WB1868 5/10/15 A12572

7.10.15; C in C; Died of dysentery; Malta; 5.10.15; Cable WB1913 A12840

Signed N Fit Herbert Major OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “entered on history sheet M W 20.3.17”

3 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: AMR

Surname: Fairs

Christian Name: Cecil Sydney

No: 13/327

Religion: Ang

Place of Birth: Auckland

Date of Birth: 14/3/1887

Last New Zealand address: Tauranga

Last employer: Mr Finlay Tauranga

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Mrs Amelia Fairs “Will in favour of mother Mrs Amelia Fairs (mother)” 29/9/21 Two addresses crossed out i.e. 45 Cook St Auckland and 28 Croyden Rd Mt Eden

Medal action

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mrs A Fairs (M0 St Albans Ave Dominion Rd Auckland address crossed out and note written “G advise not found at this a/d 9.5.28.”

Died of sickness AFB103 Ent 30/3/17 Died of dysentery Malta (St Elmo Hospital) October 5th 1915. Buried Oct 6th in the Pieta Cemetery Grave No 2 Row 18B – see file

357 10.10.15 died of Dysentery Oct 3 Malta

Medals auth to Mrs A Fairs (M) St Albans Avenue Dominion Rd Auckland 15.9.21

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Fairs, Cecil Sydney

Reg No 13/327

Roll No 503937

Scroll despatched (Date) 14 JUN 1924

Plaque 11 Jan 1922

Recipient and address: Mrs A Fairs 17 St Albans Ave Dominion Rd Auckland

Written down left hand side: “Cert post 14.9.22 GRB”

4 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1

Personal Record of Registration No 13/327

NAME Fairs Cecil Sydney

Regiment Ak M R

Group: 4

Written: “Died of dysentery Oct 3rd Cable 357”

5 FIELD SERVICE Army Form B2090A

Report of Death of a Soldier to be forwarded to the War Office with the least possible delay after receipt of notification of death on Army Form B 213 or Army Form A 36 or from other official documentary sources.

Regiment or Corps Auckland Mounted Rifles

Squadron Troop, Battery or Company 4th

Regtl No 13/327 Rank Trooper

Name Fairs, Cecil Sydney

Died Date 5.10.15

Place Malta ex Dardanelles

Cause of Death* Died of dysentery

Signature of Officer in charge of

Section Adjutant-General’s

Office at the Base N Fitz Herbert Major

Station and date Alexandria 13/10/15

6 MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Fairs

Christian Name: Cecil Sydney

Examined On 15 day of Aug, 1914

At Hamilton

Birthplace Town Auckland

Country NZ

Declared age: 27 years

Trade or occupation Coach driver

Height: 5 ft 9 in

Weight 168 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34 ½ in Maximum expansion 38 in

Enlisted on 15 day of August 1914, at Hamilton

Joined on enlistment: A M R

Regimental No 13/327

Date 15/8/14

7 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No

Name Cecil Sydney Fairs

Regiment or Unit: AMR

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? Cecil Sydney Fairs

2 Where were you born? Auckland NZ

4 What is the date of your birth? 14 March 1887

5 What is your trade or calling? Coach driver

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Tauranga

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr Finlay Tauranga

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? Yes 4th Waikato M R

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes Opotiki M R 2 years Left the place

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I Cecil Sydney Fairs do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Cecil S Fairs

Signature of Witness E Purdon RQM Sergt NZPS

(Surname PURDON

Given Name Elliot

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 13/233

Rank QMS

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Auckland Mounted Rifles

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address London St Hamilton

Next of Kin Title Mrs Isobella

Next of Kin Surname PURDON

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address London St Hamilton)

I, Cecil Sydney Fairs, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Hamilton, NZ on this 15 day of August 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer J Coleman Capt NZPS ?

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of Cecil Sydney Fairs on Enlistment

Apparent age: 25 years - months

Height: 5 feet 9 inches

Weight: 168 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 ½ inches Maximum 38 inches

Complexion: Dark

Colour of eyes: Grey

Colour of hair: Brown

Religious profession: Ch of England

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease.

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye Normal

Sight: Left eye Normal

Hearing: Right ear Normal

Hearing: Left ear Normal

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Medium

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? No

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? BLANK

Remarks

BLANK

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

Aug 15 1914

W W illegible Medical Officer

8 FORM NO TITLE

Very faded.

New Zealand 15.8.14

Embarked on Active Service NZ 23.9.14

Egypt up to 18/3/16: 3.12.14:

Gallipoli 10.8.15 ?

NZ Service 39 Days

Overseas 378 days

total NZEF service 1 year 52 days

Written “Died of illness 5/10/15”

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 84

Record 0038803

Zack

Wayne

Information on Private Jack Ford, (10/1485), - real name David Wade of the Wellington Infantry Battalion for you.

This file is 21 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are 9 main documents (1 to 9) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Jack Ford or David Wade as was his real name, was born in Scotland on 10 May 1886.

He underwent his medical examination at Trentham, New Zealand on 20th December 1914 and attested at Trentham on 30 December 1914. His ‘apparent age’ on enlistment was 28 years 6 months. (He was 27 years, 8 months, and 7 days old years old on attesting according to the age calculator I use.)

He was a labourer by ‘occupation’ and working at the Wanganui Freezing Works and he lived in Wanganui prior to enlisting. He was single. His father lived in Scotland and his sister lived in Canada. On enlistment he joined the Wellington Infantry Battalion (7th Wellington West Coast B Coy).

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 4½ inches tall and weighed 120 lb. His complexion was dark; his colour of eyes brown, and colour of hair dark brown. His religious profession was Presbyterian.

The only issue mentioned in his medical examination was “slight flat foot will tune up after physical drill.”

He left New Zealand sailing on HMNZT No 17 (Maunganui) on 14 February 1915, arriving Suez on 26 March 1915. OC Troops W S Cooper Ship’s Master L Worrall. This ship was one of three carrying the 3rd reinforcements (1,119 troops). He was inoculated against typhoid on 31 January 1915 and vaccinated again while at sea on 13 March 1915.

The 3rd Reinforcements of which David Wade was a member arrived at Anzac on 6 May 1915 and was sent to Helles in support of troops there before being relocated to Anzac Cove.

David Wade lasted 33 days in Gallipoli from landing before he received bullet wounds to the abdomen and head (7 June 1915). It is likely that he received these wounds at Courtney’s Post where the Wellington’s were located just prior to Lieut Col Malone WIB being put in charge of Quinn’s Post. The wounds were more likely received as a result of shrapnel as the Turks were using this artillery method a lot at this particular time at Courtney Post, in addition to sniping – except Malone sorted out the Turks on sniping both at Courtney’s and Quinn’s.

After being wounded David Wade was admitted to the 1st Aus Casualty Clearing Station at Anzac Cove and transferred to a hospital ship that took him and other sick and wounded troops to Malta. Curiously he was pronounced out of danger on 27 June 1915 but then reported as dangerously ill. He died from his wounds at Valetta Hospital, Malta on Friday, 3 July 1915 and was buried at Pieta Military Cemetery Row XXV. Grave 7. He had survived what would have been a very painful 26 days after receiving his wounds on Gallipoli. Age at death: 28 years, 5 months, and 2 days old (again according to the age calculator I use).

A question remains as to why he used a pseudonym? And how did the authorities find out? We may never know although if someone reads this and knows the answers……..

1 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1

NAME FORD Jack

Regiment 3rd Rfts

DIED OF WOUNDS 3/7/15

The above soldier attested under the assumed name FORD Jack. His correct name proves to be WADE David under which name all previous and subsequent papers are filed.

2 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regiment or Corps: Wellington Infantry Battalion (7th WWC Coy)

Regimental Number: 10/1485

Surname: Ford crossed out and Wade written in

Christian Name: Jack crossed out and David written in

Enlisted: (a) 15/12/1914

Terms of Service: (a) duration of war

Service reckons from: (a) 15/12/1914

Data is recorded as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks

13.6.1915; O/C WIR; Wounded in action; Dardanelles; 7.6.1915; B213 from O/C Batn

13.6.1915; 1st Aust Cas Clearing Station; Admtd 1st Aus Cas Clearing Station trans to Hos Ship; Anzac Cove Dardanelles; 7.6.1915; B w abdomen & head A36 (C1798)

27/6/1915; Cable WB419 C in C Malta; Pronounced out of danger; Malta; 27.6.1914; Cable WB 469 dated 27.6.1915

28.6.1915; Cable WB480 C in C Malta; Reported dangerously ill; Malta; 27.6.1915; Cable WB480 received & cabled 29.6.1915

3.7.1915; Cable WB517 C in C Malta; Died of wounds at Valletta Hospital; Malta; 3.7.1915; Cable WB517 received & cabled 5/7/1915 (Ref A495)

Stamped “entered on History Sheet 30.3.17”

Signed N Fitz Herbert CAPT OC Records Section New Zealand DAAG GHQ 3rd Echelon MEF

3 FIELD SERVICE Army Form B2090A

Report of Death of a Soldier to be forwarded to the War Office with the least possible delay after receipt of notification of death on Army Form B 213 or Army Form A 36 or from other official documentary sources.

Regiment or Corps: Wellington Battalion NZEF

Squadron Troop, Battery or Company: 7th

Regtl No: 10/1485

Name: Ford Jack crossed out and Wade David written in

Died Date: 3rd July 1915

Place: Valletta Hospital Malta

Cause of Death: Died of wounds received in action at Dardanelles

Signature of Officer in charge of Section Adjutant-General’s Office at the Base: N Fitz Herbert Capt

Station and date Alexandria 6th July 1915

4 EF Form No 33 NEW ZEALAND MILITARY FORCES

Record No 10/1485

Certified that it appears by an official telegram received at this Office that No 10/1485 PRIVATE

JACK FORD Of the WELLINGTON INFANTRY BATTALION, New Zealand Expeditionary Force DIED OF WOUNDS RECIEVED IN ACTION At THE DARDENELLES on the THIRD day of JULY 1915

R N Fraser Capt NZEF

O/C Base Records for Lieut Colonel Adjutant General NZ Forces

Dated at Headquarters, New Zealand Military Forces, Wellington

This FIRST day pf SEPTEMBER 1915

The Solicitor

Public Trust Office

WELLINGTON

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 10/1485

Name Ford Jack

Regiment or Unit: B Coy 3rd R

1 What is your name? Ford Jack

2 Where were you born? Scotland

4 What is the date of your birth? May 10th 1886

5 What is your trade or calling? Labourer

7 What was the address at which you last resided? C/o E F Copley Alma Rd Wanganui

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Wanganui Freezing Works

10 Are you married? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. No

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

I Jack Ford do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Jack Ford

Signature of Witness Geo H Luty?

I, Jack Ford, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 30th day of December 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer W Aldridge Lieut

(Surname ALDRIDGE

Given Name William Peachey

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 10/1394A

Rank Lieutenant

Body or Draft Third

Unit or Regiment Wellington Infantry Batln

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Helmore St Wanganui

Next of Kin Title Mrs Lucy

Next of Kin Surname ALDRIDGE

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address C/- Mrs J V Grant Box 8 Inglewood)

Description of Jack Ford on Enlistment

Apparent age: 28 years 6 months

Height: 5 feet 4 ½ inches

Weight: 120 lb

Chest measurement: Minimum - inches Maximum - inches

Colour of eyes: Brown

Colour of hair Dark brown

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye 6/6/

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Good

Is he free from varicose veins? Slight Right leg

Remarks

Slight flat foot will tune up c (abbreviation for after) physical drill

“Fit”

20 November 1914

E E Porritt Capt. Medical Officer

6 TWO FORMS NOT TITLED

One

Surname: Ford Correct name “Wade”

Christian Name: Jack

Rank on discharge Death Pte

Highest rank held Pte

Reg No 10/1485

Casualty or cause for discharge: Died of wounds

Country resident in: (in the case of death, country, next of kin are resident in) Canada

Legatee and address: Mrs James Thomas 112 Barton St W Hamilton Ontario Canada

Nominated next of kin, relationship and address: Mrs James Thomas (s) 112 Barton St W Hamilton Ontario Canada

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mr Wade (F) 24 E Crawford St Greenock Scotland

One blue service chevron

Wound Stripes 7.6.15

Stamped “FILE 5 JUL 1920”

Two

New Zealand: 15.12.14

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 14.2.15

Egypt up to 18/3/16: 26/3/15; 3.7.15 D of W

Service ranks as Theatre: NZ 61; Egyptian 57; Balkan 77; Egyptian 6

NZ Service 61 Days

Overseas 140 days

Total NZEF service - year 201 days

7 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

Two of these.

One

No 10/1485

Name Ford Jack

1 Service record Country NZ From 15/12/14

10 Name and address of next of kin (Sister) Mrs James Thomas 550 James St N Hamilton Ontario Canada

11 Particulars of marriage: Not married

12 Particulars of children: None

Intended place of residence on discharge: New Zealand

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 10/1485

NAME: Ford Jack

Wgtn Infty, Rank Pte; Dates 15/12/14 Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry G Saundisson? Cooper

Two

No 10/1485

Name Ford Jack

1 Service record: Country: NZ; from 15.12.14 to 12.2.15; 59 days

1 Service record: Transport No 17; from 13/2/15 to 26.3.15, dis Suez, 42 days

5 Wounded Dardanelles wounded

10 Name and address of next of kin Sister Mrs James Thomas 550 James St N Hamilton Ontario Canada

11 Particulars of marriage Not married

12 Particulars of children None

8 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Ford

Christian Name: Jack

Lots of blanks on this form

Examined On 20 day of Nov, 1914 (note two forms with different months – more likely the Dec month is correct as most men undertook the medical examination prior to attesting.)

At BLANK

Birthplace Town BLANK

Country Scotland

Declared age: 28 years 6 months

Trade or occupation Labourer

Height: 5 ft 4 ½ in

Weight 120 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 33 in Maximum expansion 37 in

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease:

Slight flat foot

Approved by E E Porritt Medical Officer

Enlisted on 20th day of Dec 1914, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment B Coy 3rd R;

Regimental No 10/1485;

Date 20/12/14

Station or Troopship Trentham

Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation 20.12.14

Station or Troopship HMNZT No 17 (Maunganui) at Sea Inoculated Typhoid 31 Jan 1915 Vaccinated 13.3.15

9 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: WIB

Surname: Ford crossed out and Wade inserted

Christian Name: Jack crossed out and David inserted

No: 10/1485

Place of Birth: Scotland

Date of Birth: 10/5/1886

Last New Zealand address: C/O E F Copsley Alma Road Wanganui

Last employer:

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): (1) Legal N/K Wm Jas Wade (f) 24 East Crawford St Greenock Scotland (2) Mrs James Thomas (sister) 550 James Street Hamilton Ontario Canada crossed out and 188 Hughson St ? written in place

Medal action

Died of wounds

At death Pte

Reg No 10/1485

Stamped ‘Medal Action Complete 10 Sept 1923’

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Wm Jas Wade (F) 24 East Crawford St Greenock Scotland sister address 112 Barton St Hamilton Ontario Canada crossed out

Wounds

Ent 30.3.17 Died of wounds in Valletta Hosp Malta July 3rd 1915 Buried in the Pieta Cemetery Malta Grave no 7 Row 25 – see file.

Data in order as: Cable No; Date; Where soldier located; Message and remarks:

AFB 103; 13.6.15; Dardanelles; Wounded in action 7.6.15

AFB 103; 13.6.15; Dardanelles; Adm 1st CCS Anzac Cove & trans to Hosp Ship 7.6.15

-; 27.6.15; Malta; Pronounced out of danger 27.6.15

-; 28.6.15; Malta; Reported dangerously ill 27.6.15

Died of wounds 30 6.4.15 Died of wounds on July 3rd at Valetta Hospital

Medals authorised to

Mrs James Thomas (sister)

188 Hughson St N Hamilton Ontario Canada

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Wade David

Reg No 10/1485

Roll No 504232

Scroll despatched (Date) 13 FEB 1923

Plaque 10 MAR 1922

Recipient and address: Mr Wm Wade (f) 24E Crawford St Greenock Scotland

Written down left hand side Cert posted 1.11.22 initial illegible

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5557

Box / item 31

Record 0117593

Zack

Wayne

Information on FRASER, 11/254 Trooper, Geoffrey Erle Wellington Mounted Rifles for you.

This file is 17 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are 7 main documents (1 to 7) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Geoffrey Erle Fraser was born in Timaru, New Zealand on 29 June 1891.

Geoffrey Fraser underwent his medical examination at Dannevirke, New Zealand on 16 August 1914 and attested at Dannevirke on 17 August 1914. His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the Timaru Hight School Cadets. On enlistment he joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles 9th Squadron (Wellington East Coast).

His declared age on enlistment was 24 years 2 months. (He was 23 years, 0 months, and 2 days old years old on attesting according to the age calculator I use.)

He was a shepherd by ‘occupation’ and working for Mr A B Williams at the Takapau Station Waipiro Bay prior to enlisting. He was single. His father and sister lived in Timaru.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 160 lb. His complexion was dark; his colour of eyes brown, and colour of hair dark. His religious profession was Church of England.

He left New Zealand sailing from Wellington on HMNZT No 6 (Orari) on 16 October 1914, arriving Alexandria on 3 December 1914. OC Troops Major J WH Whyte, Ship’s Master T S Weston. This ship was one of 10 carrying the Main Body (8,444 troops) to Egypt.

While his file refers to his rank being described on the ‘Malta List’ as ‘Lance Corporal’ there is no evidence of this rank.

He received a bullet wound to the right eye on the 10 August 1915 and was transferred from Anzac Cove to the hospital ship Ascanius that took him and other sick and wounded troops to Malta. He died from his gunshot wounds to the head at St Patrick’s Hospital, Malta on, Sept 20th 1915 and was buried in Pieta Cemetery Malta Grave 5 Row 13B 20/9/15. Medals went to his sister Mrs W Wright, Timaru.

He had survived 41 days after receiving his wounds on Gallipoli. Age at death: 24 years, 1 months, and 3 days old (again according to the age calculator I use).

Personal Record of Registration No 11/254

NAME Fraser Geoffrey Erle

Regiment W M R

Group: 6

Regimental Number: 11/254

Regiment or Corps: Wellington Mounted Rifles 9th Sqdn

Name: Fraser Geoffrey Erle

Enlisted: (a) 17/8/14

Terms of Service: (a) Period of war

Service reckons from: (a) 17/8/14

Data in order of: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15/8/15; O/C WMR; Report wounded; Anzac Cove; 10.8.15; B213

31/8/15; H S Ascanius; Admit Hos Bul W Rt Eye; Malta; 31.8.15; A9652

21.9.15; Commdt Malta; Died of wounds (GSW head); Malta; 20.9.15; Cablegram WB1616 Commandant Malta A 10502

Stamped “Entered on history sheet M W 20.3.17

Signed N Fitzherbert Capt

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 11/254

Name Fraser, Geoffrey Erle

Regiment or Unit: BLANK

1 What is your name? Fraser, Geoffrey Erle

2 Where were you born? Timaru

4 What is the date of your birth? 29 June 1891

5 What is your trade or calling? Shepherd

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Takapau Stn Waipiro Bay

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? A B Williams Waipiro Bay

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes Timaru Cadets H School

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? Yes. In exemption area now

I Geoffrey Erle Fraser do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit G E Fraser

Signature of Witness Rob Blartau?

I, Geoffrey Erle Fraser, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Dannevirke, NZ on this 17 day of August 1914

Signature of Attesting Officer Digby E Caidale(?) Captain NZSC

Description of Fraser, Geoffrey on Enlistment

Apparent age: 24 years 2 months

Height: 5 feet 9 inches

Weight: 160 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 33 inches Maximum 36 inches

Colour of hair; Dark

Religious profession: Anglican

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Are his limbs well formed?

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? No decay

Remarks

Nil

16 August 1914

SIGNED F Reid Mackay CAPT MD Medical Officer

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4)

MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Fraser

Christian Name: Geoffrey Erle

Examined On 16 day of Aug, 1914

At Dannevirke

Birthplace Town Timaru

Country New Zealand

Declared age: 24 years 2 months

Trade or occupation Shepherd

Height: 5 ft 9 in

Weight 160 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 33 in Maximum expansion 36 in

Physical development: Good

Approved by F Reid Mackay Capt Medical Officer NZMC

Enlisted on 17 day of Aug 191 1914, at Dannevirke

(Surname MACKAY

Given Name Frederick Reid

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address High St Dannevirke

Occupation Medical Practitioner

Classification A)

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

No 11/254

Name Fraser, Geoffrey Erle

Data recorded in order: Country, From; To; Days, Initials of Officer making entry

1 Service record: New Zealand; 17 Aug 1914; 14 Oct 1914; 59 days; WSC

1 Service record: On transport No 6; 15 Oct 1914; 3 Dec 1914; 50 days; JS

1 Service record: Disembarked Alexandria Egypt 3 Dec 1914

1 Service record; Egypt; 4 Dec 1914

5 Wounded Dardanelles wounded

10 Name and address of next of kin: C S Fraser (Father) Timaru

Intended place of residence on discharge: Waipiro Bay

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 11/254

NAME: Geoffrey Erle Fraser

Two of these forms: Data in order of: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates:

One

WMR; Attested; Trooper; 17/8/14

Dardanelles wounded

WMR; Died of wounds (Malta); Tpr; 9.8.15 - 20.9.15

Two

WMR; BLANK; Trooper

9th Squadron: BLANK; L/C

NOTE: Malta list says L/Cpl AFB does not give promotion

6 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: BLANK

Surname: Fraser

Christian Name: Geoffrey Erle

No: 11/254

Religion: Church of England

Place of Birth: Timaru

Date of Birth: 29/6/1891

Last New Zealand address: Takapau Stn Waipiro Bay

Last employer: C B Williams Waipiro Bay

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): C S Fraser Timaru NZ

Medal action

Legatee and address: Mrs Winifred Wright (sister) Timaru

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: C S Fraser (F) Box 57 Timaru

Wounds

AFB 103 15.8.15 Dardanelles Reported wounded Anzac Cove 10.8.15

AFB 103 31.8.15 Malta Adm Hosp Ship Ascanius and transferred to Malta BW Rt Eye 31.8.15

Died of wounds AFB103 20.9.15 Malta Died at Malta of gunshot wounds head Sept 20th 1915

Died at St Patricks Hosp Malta Sept 20th 1915 Buried Pieta Cemetery Malta Grave 5 Row 13B 20/9/15

Medals auth to Mrs W Wright (s) c/o PO Box 57 Timaru

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name: Fraser Geoffrey Erle

Reg No: 11/254

Roll No: 50434

Scroll despatched: (Date) 28 JUL 1921

Plaque: 18 Feb 1922

Recipient and address: Mr C S Fraser Timaru

Written down left hand side “Cert posted 28.9.22 GLB”

7 FORM BUT NO TITLE

New Zealand: 17.8.14

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 16.10.14

Egypt up to 18/3/16: 3.12.14; 20.9.15 DOW

NZ Service 60 Days

Overseas 340 days

Reference source:

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 117

Record 0042142

Zack

Wayne

Information on FALDER, 2/873 Gunner, George Victor Wakefield, New Zealand Field Artillery for you.

This file is 21 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are 7 main documents (1 to 7) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file. The file is ambiguous in places and contains different versions of the same forms but with different information on them.

Overview

George Victor Wakefield Falder was born in Adelaide South Australia on 12 April 1893.

George Falder underwent his medical examination on 21 October 1914 and attested at Trentham, NZ on 10 November 1914. The file also records that he attested on 18 November 1914. The file is silent with respect to any explanation for the gap between the medical examination and the formal attestation. His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the NZ Territorials for 3½ years. On enlistment he joined the New Zealand Field Artillery, 2nd Battery, 2nd Brigade.

His apparent age on enlistment was 21 years 6 months. (He was according to his birth date and referencing it to his medical examination date 20 years, 9 months, and 6 days old at the time.)

He was a farmer by ‘occupation’ and was working for his father F G Falder, Kahouri Bridge, Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand prior to enlisting. He was single.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 6 feet tall and weighed 161 lb. His complexion was fair; his colour of eyes blue, and colour of hair brown. His religious profession was Church of England.

He left New Zealand with the 2nd reinforcements (1,752 troops) on 14 December 1914, arriving Suez on 28 January 1915. His file doesn’t detail which transport he was on but it would have been either the Verdala (No 13), or Willochra (No 14) or Knight of Garter (No 15).

He was promoted to Corporal on 18 November 1914 but then reverts to rank of ‘gunner’ on 1 February 1915. His file gives no indication was to why this happened.

On Gallipoli he became sick and was sent to hospital on 13 July 1915. His condition obviously worsened and the Hospital Ship ‘Gascon’ took him to Malta from Anzac on 18 July 1915 suffering from dysentery. 10 days later he died at Imtarfa Hospital Malta on 27 July 1915 after been admitted there on 24 July 1915. He is buried in Pieta Cemetery Grave no 1 row 3b 27.7.15 and interesting to note on his file that Chaplain Tobin was the informant on George Falder’s death.

Mr L G Falder who had moved from Kahouri Bridge Stratford to 14 Percival St Wellington received his son’s medals. George Falder was 21 years, 3 months, and 3 days old on his death.

Personal Record of Registration No 2/873

NAME Falder George Victor Wakefield

Regiment Field artillery

2nd Reinforcements

Deceased

Regiment or Corps: NZ Field Artillery 2nd Battery 2nd Brigade

Regimental Number: 2/873

Name: Falder, George Victor Wakefield

Enlisted (a) 10/11/14

Terms of Service (a) Period of war

Service reckons from (a) 10/11/14

Data in order as follows: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

18/7/15; OC 2nd Btty; Sent to hospital; Anzac; 13/7/15; Sick B213

18/7/15; H S Gascon; Disembarked ex H S Gascon; Malta; 18/7/15; Dysentery A36 A1991

24/7/15; Imtarfa; Admitted Imtarfa Hosp; Malta; 24/7/15; Enteric Serious A36 C270

27/8/15; Chap Tobin; Died and buried Pieta cemetery; Malta; 27/7/15; Enteric Cablegram

Signed N Fitz Herbert Capt OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “FILE 17 Nov 1915 OAM”

Entered on history sheet MW 20.3.17

ATTESTATION OF

No 2/873

Name Falder George Victor Wakefield

Regiment or Unit: NZFA

1 What is your name? George V W Falder

2 Where were you born? Adelaide S Australia

4 What is the date of your birth? 12 April 1893

5 What is your trade or calling? Farmer

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Kahorui Bridge Strafford NZ

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr F G Falder, Kahorui Bridge Stratford New Zealand

10 Are you married? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? Yes NZ Territorials

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes 3 ½ years NZ Territorials

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? Yes

I G V W Falder do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit George V W Falder

Signature of Witness R G Coates

I, George V W Falder, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 18 day of Nov 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer Norman E Lee Lieut

Description of G V W Falder on Enlistment

Apparent age: 21 years 6 months

Height: 6 feet - inches

Weight: 161 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 inches Maximum 38 ½ inches

Complexion: fair

Colour of eyes: blue

Colour of hair: Brown

Religious profession: Church of England

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

Remarks

Oct 21 1914

D Paget Medical Officer

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Falder

Christian Name: George Victor Wakefield

Examined On 21 day of October, 1914

At PLACE BLANK

Birthplace Town Adelaide

Country South Australia

Declared age: 21½ years

Trade or occupation Farmer

Height: 6 ft - in

Weight 161 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34 in Maximum expansion 38 ½ in

Approved by D Paget Medical Officer Stratford

Enlisted on 10 day of November 1914 YEAR, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: Field Artillery

Regimental No: 2/873

Date: 10/11/14

5 FORM NO TITLE

Form very faded

New Zealand: 10.11.14

Egypt up to 18/3/16: 28.1.15

New Zealand Service 34 Days

Overseas 226 days

Total NZEF service year 260 days

6 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

Note: there are three of these forms and I have summarised them on to one to capture all information recorded.

No 2/873

Name Falder George Victor Wakefield

Intended place of residence on discharge: NZ

Data in order as: Country; From; To; Days

1 Service record; New Zealand; 10/11/14; 14/12/14; 35 days

1 Service record; At sea; 15/12/14; 28/1/15 Disembarked Suez; 45 days

1 Service record; Egypt; 29/1/15; rest is blank

10 Name and address of next of kin: Father Mr F G FALDER Kahouri Bridge Stratford Taranaki

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 2/873

NAME: Falder GVW

Data in order as: Regiment or corps; Promotions, reductions, casualties; rank; dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Field artillery; Enlisted; Gunr; 10.11.14; F Cooke Lt

FA; Admitted to Hospital; Gunner; 14.11.14; F Cooke Lt

FA; Promoted Cpl; Cpl; 18.11.14; R/O 34 Lt Potter C/C

2nd Btb FA (AFB 103 & 2090); Reverts to Gunner; Gunner; 1.2.15; See Pay Sheet (not on file!)

NZFA; Admitted to Hospital; Gunner; 13.7.15; C J Cormach?

NZFA; Died at Malta (103); Gunner; 27.7.15; BLANK

Falder G V W written down left hand side of this form

Admitted to hospital Day Month Year 13.7.15 Diarrhoea

Died at Malta (103) 27.7.15

7 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: F A 2nd Batty

Surname: Falder

Christian Name: George Victor Wakefield

No: 2/873

Religion: C of Eng

Place of Birth: Adelaide

Date of Birth: 12/41893

Last New Zealand address: Kahouri Bridge Stratford NZ

Last employer: c/o L G Falder

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Mr L G Falder Father 14 Percival St Wellington written in over Kahouri Bridge Stratford NZ

Sick

Data shown as: No; Date; Where Soldier located; Message and Remarks:

AFB 103; 18.7.15; Anzac; Sent to Hosp sick 13.7.15

AFB 103; 18.7.15; Malta; Disembarked ex H S Gascon 18.7.15 Dysentery

AFB 103; 24.7.15; Malta; Adm Imtarfa Hosp 24.7.15 Enteric serious

Died of sickness AFB103 Ent 30.3.17 Died of Enteric Fever at Malta July 27 1915 (Imtarfa Hosp) Buried in Pieta Cemetery Grave no 1 row 3b 27.7.15 – see file

Medals auth to Mr J G Falder (f) 14 Percival Str Wellington

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name: Falder Geo Victor Wakefield

Reg No: 2/873

Roll No: 503947

Scroll despatched (Date): 16 Nov 1921

Plaque: 11 Jan 1922

Recipient and address: Mrs G Falder 14 Percival St Wellington – Kahouri Bridge Stratford crossed out

Written down left hand side “Cert posted 14.9.22 GRB”

Source reference

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 84

Record 0038869

Zack

Wayne

The following is a transcription of Trooper Robert McKinley Frazer’s (9/820) probate file. This is only three pages long. Transcription of military file to follow.

Cover sheet:

In the Supreme Court of New Zealand

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the will of Robert McKinley Frazer, late of Seacliff in the Provincial District of Otago in the Dominion of New Zealand, Carpenter, but at his death a Trooper No 9/820 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased.

ELECTION TO ADMINISTER ESTATE OF TESTATE PERSON

(WITH WILL ANNEXED)

J W Macdonald

Solicitor

Public Trust Office

Wellington

Page one

In the Supreme Court of New Zealand

Wellington District

IN THE MATTER of the Public Trust Office Act 1908 and its amendments; and

IN THE MATTER of the will of Robert McKinley Frazer, late of Seacliff in the Provincial District of Otago in the Dominion of New Zealand, Carpenter, but at his death a Trooper No 9/820 in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force operating at the Dardanelles, deceased, (hereinafter referred to as “the said deceased.”)

WHEREAS it has been reported to the Public Trustee and he has reasonable cause of belief that the said deceased died on or about the 4th of September 1915 AND WHEREAS the Public Trustee after due enquiries believes that the document hereto annexed and marked “A” and bearing date the 16th day of March 1915 is the last will and testament of the said deceased and was executed by the said deceased while on actual military service within the meaning of section 11 of the Wills Act 1837 and that according to the provisions of such section such will has been validly executed AND WHEREAS no executor is appointed by the said will and the Public Trustee has been requested to administer the estate of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will AND WHEREAS as now known the real and personal estate of the said deceased is set forth in the schedule hereto annexed and marked “B” and the gross value of the same does not exceed the sum of £400 AND WHEREAS probate of the said will has not been obtained NOW THIS IS TO NOTIFY all whom it may concern that in pursuance of section 18 of the Public Trust Office Amendment Act 1913 the Public Trustee being so entitled DOTH HEREBY ELECT TO ADMINISTER the property of the said deceased according to the provisions of such will.

Dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page Two

“A”

Short Form of Will

In the event of my death I give to

(a) My Mother Mrs J Frazer

(B) Of Stirling Otago NZ

All my real and personal estate whatsoever

Signature R M Frazer

Date 16/3/15

9/820

This is the document marked “A” referred to in the annexed Election by me dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Page Three

“B”

Schedule of [property of Robert McKinley Frazer, deceased, as now known to the Public Trustee

Cash in Post Office Savings Bank: £36 2 5

Military Pay £20

Total: £56 2 5

This is the schedule marked “B”: referred to in the annexed election by me dated the 23rd day of March 1916.

Signed illegible

Public Trustee

Reference Source

Agency AAOM

Series 6029

Accession W3265

Box / item -

Record 18498/1916

Zack

Hi there,

Eric Sargisson is my wife's great uncle. I have a picture of him. Will seek out some details for you. In the meantime, he married just before he left NZ. Was wounded in the throat at Hill 60, Gallipoli, and spent several days on an hospital ship where he battled for his life. Sargisson sent a number of letters home from the peninsula, and his family was sent letters describing his last hours from the nurse who tended him.

Andy M

Anndy

That would be be absolutely brilliant. It's all flesh on the bones so to speak! I haven't got to review his file yet but I will.

Thank you.

Zack

Wayne

Information on FOSTER, 9/968 Trooper, William Otago Mounted Rifles for you.

Please note the correct regimental number.

This file is 24 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are 8 main documents (1 to 8) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

William Foster was born in Dunedin, New Zealand on 25 May 1888.

He underwent his medical examination at Dunedin, New Zealand on 19 October 1914 and attested at Trentham on ‘16 October 1914.’ His file, however, also states that he enlisted on 20 October 1914, at Dunedin. This last date I think is correct. On enlistment he joined the 12th Squadron, Otago Mounted Rifles.

His declared age on enlistment was 26 years. (He was 26 years, 7 months, and 5 days old years old on attesting according to the age calculator I use.)

He was a labourer by ‘occupation’ and working for Vincent County Council prior to enlisting. He was single. His mother Christina Foster lived at Lowburn Ferry Cromwell Otago and she also had two other sons who also served in WW1 – Robert (8/137 – Otago Infantry Battalion) who was killed at Gallipoli on 4 August 1915 and Henry (9/1163 - Otago Mounted Rifles) who I think died of disease in France on 16 December 1917. (The Nominal roll - CD Rom version - has Henry’s number as 9/1163 whereas all other references describe his number as 9/1168.) A family like lots of others wiped out! Tragic!

William Foster’s medical description on enlistment was that he was 6 feet tall and weighed 123 lb (also described as 173 lb). His complexion was dark; his colour of eyes blue, and colour of hair dark. His religious profession was Presbyterian.

He left New Zealand sailing on HMNZT No 13 (‘Verdala’) from New Zealand on 14 December 1914, disembarking Alexandria on 2 February 1915. OC Troops Major Mitchell, Ship’s Master S J Grosswaithe. This ship was one of three carrying the 2nd reinforcements (1,752 troops) to Egypt.

On Gallipoli while he was reported as missing on 21 August 1915 he obviously had been admitted by the New Zealand Field Ambulance to the Base Hospital at Anzac on 13 August 1915 suffering from debility and pleurisy and they had placed him on the Hospital Ship Salta on 17 August 1915 and transferred him to Malta for treatment where he arrived on 17 August 1915. Just over 13 weeks later he died at Malta of enteric and bronchial pneumonia on 16 November 1915. He was buried at Pieta Military Cemetery Plot D. Row V. Grave 5.

He was 27 years, 3 months, and 6 days old.

Personal Record of Registration No 9/698

NAME Foster

Regiment Otago Mounted Rifles

Group: 13

2 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: OMR

Surname: Foster

Christian Name: William

No: 9/698

Place of Birth: Dunedin

Date of Birth: 25/5/1888

Last New Zealand address: Tarras Central Otago

Last employer: Vincent County Council

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Christina Foster (Mother) Lowburn Ferry Central Otago

Also written: Copy of paybook will in file in favour of Mrs C Foster Lowburn Ferry (mother) Central Otago. Memo from PI 16819 any medals to go to Mrs C Foster (M) Lowburn Ferry Cromwell

Medal action

STAMPED MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 15 Oct 1923

Mrs C Foster PO Cromwell Central Otago

Sick

Data shown in order as: Date; Where soldier located; Message and remarks:

27.8.15; Malta; Disembarked 17.8.15 seriously ill debility and pleurisy

12.10.15; Malta; Dangerously ill 2/10/15

14.8.15; Anzac; Adm Base Hospital Anzac 13.8.15

13.8.15; Anzac; Adm NZ Field Amb & transferred to Base (Pleurisy) 13/8/15

Died of sickness 603 18/11/15 Died of Enteric & Bronchial pneumonia Nov 16

Missing AFB103 Ent 30.8.15 Reported missing Anzac 21.8.15

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name: Foster William

Reg No: 9/698

Roll No: 504284

Scroll despatched (Date): 10 Jun 1921

Plaque: 24.2.22

Recipient and address: Mrs C Foster PO Cromwell Central Otago crossed out and Mr H Perriam Lowburn Ferry via Cromwell Central Otago to old in trust) written in

Written down left hand side “Cert posted 26.9.22 GLB”

3 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regiment or Corps Otago Mtd Rifles 5th

Regimental Number 9/698

Rank Trooper

Surname Foster William

Enlisted (a) 20.10.14

Service reckons from (a) 20.10.14

Data shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks

14.8.15; O/CO MR; Admit to Base Hosp; Anzac; 13.8.15; B213

22.8.15; O/CO MR; Reported missing; Anzac; 21.8.15; B213

-; NZ Field Amb; Adm Pleurisy Transf to Base; Anzac; 13.8.15; A36 C2944

-; H S Salta; Admitd hosp; Malta; 17.8.15; Roll from H S Salta

4.10.15; Commandant Malta; Dangerously ill; Malta; 2.10.15; Cable from Cdth WB1841

16.11.15; Commandant Malta; Died of enteric & bronchial pneumonia; Malta; 16.11.15; Ex cable WB2808 from Cdt Malta A18972

Signed N Fitz Herbert Major OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “Entered on history sheet 30.3.17”

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3 Military History Sheet

No 9/698

Name Foster, William

Data shown in order as: Country; From; To; Days

1 Service record; New Zealand; 20/10/14; 14/12/14; 55 days

1 Service record; At sea transport No 13; 15/12/14; 2/2/15 disembarked Alexandria; 49 days

1 Service record; Egypt; 3/2/15; rest blank

4 Wounded; Missing 21.8.15; rest blank

10 Name and address of next of kin: (Mother) Christina Foster Lowburn Ferry Central Ferry

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Otago Mounted; BLANK; Tpr: 20/10/14; J C MacLean

Otago Mounted; Missing Dardanelles; Tpr; 21/8/15 BLANK

Otago Mounted; Now reported adm to hospital Malta; Tpr; 17/8/15

Otago Mounted; Seriously ill Pneumonia Pleurisy, Debility not missing; Tpr; c 28.9.15; BLANK

Otago Mounted; Dangerously ill Malta Tpr; 2/10.15 c 8/10.15

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

This form is typed

Personal record of

Foster Tpr W

Registration No 9/698

Regiment OMR

Previously reptd Unit missing 21/8.15. further reptd Ad Hos Malta 17/8/15. Seriously ill Debility Pleurisy & not missing Cabled 28/9/15

Died of enteric & bronchial pneumonia at Malta 16/11/15

6 Form – no title

This form is badly faded which explains why the data cannot be correct.

New Zealand: 20.10.14

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 14.12.14

NZ Service 45 Days

Overseas 338 days

7 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 9/698

Name Foster William

Regiment or Unit: OMR

1 What is your name? William Foster

2 Where were you born? Dunedin

4 What is the date of your birth? May 25 1888?

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Tarras Central Otago

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Vincent County Council

10 Are you married? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. No

I William Foster do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit William Foster

Signature of Witness W H Donaldson Stg

I, William Foster, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 16th day of October 1914

Signature of Attesting Officer E S Perry Lieut

Description of William Foster on Enlistment

Apparent age: 26 years - months

(To be determined according to the instructions given in the Regulations for Army Medical Service.)

Height: 6 feet 0½ inches

Weight: 123 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 38 inches Maximum 40 inches

Colour of hair: Dark

Medical Examination

Colour vision Good

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Fair

Remarks

Fit

Oct 19 1914

James Fitzgerald Major Medical Officer

8 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Foster

Christian Name: William

Examined On 19 day of Oct, 1914

At Dunedin

Birthplace Town Dunedin

Country NZ

Declared age: 26 years

Height: 6 ft 0½ in

Weight 173 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 38 in Maximum expansion 40 in

Approved by Jas Fitzgerald Major D/n Medical Officer

Enlisted on 20th day of October 19114, at Dunedin

Joined on enlistment: Otago M R

Regimental No 9/698

Date 20/10/14

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank: Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Otago MR 12th Sqdn; Admit base hospital; Tpr; 13/8/15; illegible

Otago MR 12th Sqdn; Died enteric Malta (103); Tpr; 16/11/15; W H Shore

Reference Source

Agency: AABK

Series: 18805

Accession: W5537

Box / item: 112

Record: 0041642

Zack

Wayne

Information on GILLESPIE, 8/2339 Private, Frank, Otago Infantry Battalion for you.

This file is 13 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are 8 main documents (1 to 8) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Frank Gillespie was born in Clinton, Ireland on 14 February 1891. His parents lived at separate addresses in Dunedin. Mrs Bridget Gillespie, (mother) at Abbotsford, Dunedin and Mr G F Gillespie (father) PO Green Island Ohapu via Dunedin.

It is not stated on his file where Frank Gillespie underwent his medical examination but his last New Zealand address was the Café De Paris, Dannevirke, New Zealand. (Sounds very exotic for what was a very small rural town in 1915!!) He completed his medical examination on 30 January 1915. His apparent age was 24 years. (He was 24 years, 3 months, and 29 days old years old.) He attested at Trentham on either 11 or 14 February 1915 (both dates are given on the file) although the 11th Feb date features more than the 14th date.

It is likely that he was medically examined in Dannevirke because not only was he working in the area but the Medical Practitioner on the file was Frederick Reid MacKay as was the witness - Sergeant-major Frederick Martin both residents of Dannevirke.

On enlistment Frank Gillespie joined the Wellington Infantry but then transferred to the Otago Infantry Battalion 8th Coy “D” Company 4th Reinforcements. It was not unusual for a man to be enlisted to a regiment outside of the place where they lived and worked. It was a way of ensuring that Battalion numbers could be met.

Frank Gillespie was a Labourer by ‘occupation’ and prior to enlisting he was working for J Neilson at Titree Point (near Cape Turnagain in the Hawkes Bay near the coast close to Dannevirke). Frank Gillespie was single.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 6 feet tall and weighed 180 lb. His complexion was dark; his colour of eyes blue, and colour of hair dark. His religious profession was Roman Catholic.

He left New Zealand sailing on HMNZT No 21 (Willochra) on 17 April 1915, arriving Suez on 25 May 1915. OC Major Childs, Ship’s Master R Neville. This ship was one of three carrying the 4th Reinforcements (2,254 troops) to Egypt. (The others were the Knight Templar -No 22- and Waitoma -No 23.)

It is not clear when he would have landed in Gallipoli and like other troops he had been inoculated against typhoid on 14 / 21 March 1915 and 25 April 1915.

He died in hospital, Malta of enteric fever on 1 August 1915. His file states he was buried in Addolorata Civil Cemetery Malta Grave No 656 (note different grave reference) Division East Section E A Compartment A OR & G 175 3/9382 No 6.

Personal Record of Registration No 8/2339

NAME Gillespie Frank

Regiment “D” Company 4th Reinforcements

2 Casualty Form – Active Service Army Form B 103

Regiment or Corps Otago Infantry Battalion 8th Coy

Regimental Number 8/2339

Rank Private

Name: Gillespie Frank

Enlisted (a) 11.2.15

Terms of Service (a) End of war

Service reckons from (a) 11.2.15

Data is shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks

4.8.15; C in C Malta; Died in hospital; Malta; 1.8.15; Enteric fever A2154 Cablegram WB 777

Signed N Fitz Herbert

Stamped “Entered on History Sheet 26.1.17”

3 Military History Sheet

No 8/2339

Name Gillespie Frank

Data shown in order as: Country; From; To:

1 Service record; New Zealand; 11/2/15; 16.4.15

1 Service record; Foreign; 17.4.15; BLANK

10 Name and address of next of kin: Father G F Gillespie Oturehua Otago Central crossed out and PO Green Island Ohapu Dunedin written in.

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Regiment of Corps: Otago Infantry 8th Coy: Joined Battn taken on strength 8th Coy; Rank: Pte; Date: 8.6.15

Buried in Addolorata Civil Cemetery Malta Grave No 656 (note different grave) Division East Section E A Compartment A OR & G 175 3/9382 No 6 Date 2.8.15

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 8/2339

Name Gillespie Frank

Regiment or Unit:

1 What is your name? Gillespie Frank

2 Where were you born? Clinton Ireland

4 What is the date of your birth? 14 February 1891

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Café De Paris Dannevirke

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? J Neilson Titru Point or Titree

10 Are you married? No

I Frank Gillespie do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit: F Gillespie

Signature of Witness: F Martin SM

I, Frank Gillespie, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 14th day of Feb 1915.

Signature of Attesting Officer illegible Major

Description of Gillespie Frank on Enlistment

Apparent age: 24 years - months

Height: 6 feet - inches

Weight: 180 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 36 inches Maximum 40 inches

Religious profession: R Catholic

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. None

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? No decay

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? No

Remarks

No forensic illness or fits

30 Jan 1915

SIGNED F Reid Mackay Capt MD Medical Officer

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Gillespie

Christian Name: Frank

Examined On 30th day of Jan, 1915

At BLANK (don’t you hate that!)

Birthplace Town Clinton

Country Ireland

Declared age: 24 years

Height: 6 ft - in

Weight 180 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 36 in Maximum expansion 40 in

Approved by F Reid Mackay MD Capt Medical Officer

Enlisted on 11th day of Feby 1915, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: Wellington Infantry

Transferred to OIB

Regimental No 8/2339

6 FORM NO TITLE

Written down left hand side of form: Surname: Gillespie Christian Name: Frank

Data is shown as follows: Station or Troopship; Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation; REMARKS ON NATURE OF DISEASE;

Trentham; 11/2/15; Inoculated typhoid 14/3/15

Trentham; Inoculated typhoid 21.3.15

Embarked HMNZT 21; 17/4/15 Vaccinated 25/4/15

Unit: Otago Infaty Battn 8th Coy

Surname: Gillespie

Christian Name: Frank

No: 8/2339

Religion: R Catholic

Place of Birth: Ireland

Date of Birth: 14th Feb 1891

Last New Zealand address: Café de Paris Dannevirke

Last employer: J Neilson

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): G F Gillespie Post Office Green Island Ohapu Via Dunedin

Medal action

Stamped “MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 11 Oct 1923”

Legatee and address: Mrs Bridget Gillespie, Abbotsford Dunedin (M)

Nominated next-of-kin, relationship and address

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: Mr G F Gillespie (F) PO Green Island Ohapu via Dunedin

Service

NZ 11/2/15

Foreign 17.4.15

Sick

Army Form B103 Died in Malta Hospital of enteric fever on 1st August 1915. Buried Addolorata Cemetery Malta

Pension

Medals to Mrs B Gillespie (M) Abbotsford Dunedin

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Gillespie Frank

Reg No 8/2339

Roll No 504689

Scroll despatched (Date) 15 JUN 1921

Plaque 16 DEC 1921

Recipient and address: Mr G F Gillespie PO Green Island Ohapa via Dunedin

8 FORM NO TITLE

Written on left hand side “Cert posted 25/9/22”

New Zealand: 11.2.15

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 17.4.15

NZ Service 65 Days

Overseas 107 days

Total NZEF service 172 days

Reference source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 24

Record 0044828

Zack

Zack, there's a Café De Paris hotel in Palmerston North that has been there for decades. I wonder if the Dannevirke one was another run by the same family or company, and may also have been a hotel rather than an actual café?

Allie

I've just emailed the Dannevirke historical society to see if they know. If not, we've a Clan gathering next weekend and I'll see if any of the old Dannevirke-ites present can enlighten me.

Allie

Wayne

Information on FRAZER, Robert McKinley, 9/820 Trooper, Otago Mounted Rifles for you.

This file is 16 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are nine main documents (1 to 9) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file.

Overview

Robert McKinley Frazer was born in Kaitangata, a small town near the coast of South Otago on the Clutha River, South Island New Zealand on 2 February 1891.

Robert Frazer underwent his medical examination on 14th day of November 1914 (place not stated) and he attested at Trentham, New Zealand on 17 December 1914. His stated prior military experience had been gained as a member of the Kaitangata Rifles Volunteers, to which he belonged for two years. On enlistment he joined the Otago Mounted Rifles - D Squadron. His service, for reasons not covered by his file, reckons from 15 December 1914.

The Nominal Roll states that Robert Frazer enlisted as a signaller and while this detail is not contained in his military file it may explain why he was on a transport to Lemnos dated 12 April 1915 which is recorded in his file. His brother Lance Corporal James Parker Frazer (8/1737), Otago Infantry Battalion, also served on Gallipoli and survived the war.

His apparent age on enlistment was 23 years.

He was a carpenter by ‘occupation’ and was living and working at the Mental Hospital Seacliff prior to enlisting. He was single. His parents lived in Stirling, Otago, New Zealand.

His medical description on enlistment was that he was 5 feet 11½ inches tall and weighed 163 lb. His complexion was fair; and colour of hair light brown. The colour of eyes is not recorded. His religious profession was Presbyterian. He had a distinctive port wine mark 3 inches in diameter on his left thigh below groin. In all respects he was considered fit by Thos Fergus, Medical Officer, for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

He left New Zealand on HMNZT No 19 (Aparima) on 14 Feb 1915, arriving Suez 26 March 1915. OC Troops Major Herbert; Ship’s Master J E Macdonald. This ship was one of three transports carrying the 3rd reinforcements (1,719 troops) to Egypt. He was inoculated against typhoid on 31 January 1915 and on board the Aparima on 7 March 1915 – not that this saved him.

He was admitted to 16th Casualty Clearing Station on 15 August 1915 who directed him to Mudros. Such, however, was his condition (dysentery and debility), that he was redirected to Malta where he was admitted to hospital ex HS “Ascania” on 25 August 1915. He died of enteric on 4 September 1915.

If one assumes he landed on 25 April 1015 as a signaller he lasted 113 days (over three months) until his evacuation to Mudros and then Malta on 15 August 1915. He survived 20 days after leaving Gallipoli and was buried in the Pieta Cemetery, Malta, Grave 6 Row 7b on 4 September 1915.

He was 24 years old at his death.

Personal Record of Registration No 9/820

NAME Frazer Robert McKinley

Regiment OMR

2 Casualty Form – Active Service Army Form B103

Regiment or Corps Otago Mounted Rifles

Regimental Number 9/820

Rank Trooper

Surname Frazer Robt McKinley

Enlisted (a) 15.12.14

Terms of Service (a) end of war

Service reckons from (a) 15.12.14

Data shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15.8.15; 16 CCS; Admd 16th CCS; transferred to; Anzac, Mudros, 15.8.15; 15.8.15; A26 A4712

6.9.15; Commandeth Malta; Died of enteric; Malta; 4.9.15; Cablegram WB1380 A7562

Signed N Fit Herbert CAPT OC Records Section New Zealand for AAG GHQ 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “FILE 17 NOV 1915 CAM”

Stamped “Entered on history sheet” written “MW 20.3.17”

NOTE: A very faded photocopy

ATTESTATION OF

No 9/820

Name Frazer Robert McKinley

Regiment or Unit: BLANK

1 What is your name? Robert McKinley Frazer

2 Where were you born? Kaitangata

4 What is the date of your birth? 2 February 1891

5 What is your trade or calling? Carpenter

6 Are you an indentured apprentice? If so where and to whom? ?

7 What was the address at which you last resided? Mental Hospital Seacliff

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Govermt Mental Hospital Seacliff

10 Are you married? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? No Kaitangata Rifles Volunteers

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. Yes. Expiration of service / 2 years

I Robert McKinley Frazer do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Robt McK Frazer

Signature of Witness illegible

I, Robert McKinley Frazer, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 17th day of December 1914.

Signature of Attesting Officer illegible

Description of Robert McKinley on Enlistment

Apparent age: 23 years

Height: 5 feet 11½ inches

Weight: 163 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 inches Maximum 36 inches

Complexion: Fair

Colour of eyes: not stated

Colour of hair: Light Brown

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Port wine mark left thigh below groin 3 inches in diameter

Medical Examination

Colour vision Fair

Is his heart normal? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? Slight colour blindness for finer shades

Remarks

Crossed out: “All teeth extracted plate being made” and written in “Teeth satisfactory.”

Nov 14 1914

SIGNED Thos Fergus Medical Officer

4 Military History Sheet

No 9/820

Name Frazer, Robert McKinlay

Data is in order as follows: Country; From; To; Days

1 Service record; New Zealand; - ; 12/2/15; 59 days

1 Service record; HMNZT No 19; 13/2/15; 26/3/15; Dis Suez 42 days

1 Service record; Egypt; 27/3/15; -

10 Name and address of next of kin(Mother) Mrs John Frazer Stirling Otago NZ

11 Particulars of marriage: Not married

12 Particulars of children: None

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE

Two of these forms exist below is a compilation on data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

D Squadron OMR; - ; Trooper; 15/12/14; E H Beamish Capt

D Squadron OMR; Admtd Hospital; Trooper; 15.8.15; F M Pyle

D Squadron OMR; Died of Enteric; Trooper; 4.9.15; W H Short?

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

(NOTE this form is mostly typed)

Of

Surname: Frazer

Christian Name: Robert McKinley (note spelling with “e” incorrect according to his signature – should “a” )

Examined On 14th day of November, 1914

At BLANK

Birthplace Town Kaitangata

Country NZ

Declared age: 23 years

Trade or occupation Carpenter

Height: 5 ft 11 ½ in

Weight 163 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34 in Maximum expansion 36 in

Marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease: Port wine mark on left thigh below groin about 3 inches in diameter.

Approved by Thomas Fergus Medical Officer

Enlisted on 17th day of December 1914, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: OMR 3rd Reinf D

Regimental No: 9/820

Date: 17/12/14

6 FORM NO TITLE

Typed down left hand side of form: Surname: FRAZER Christian Name: ROBERT MCKINLEY

Data is shown in order as: Station or Troopship; Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation; REMARKS ON NATURE OF DISEASE:

Trentham; 15/12/14; Inoculated Typhoid 31.1.15

HMNZT No 19; 12/2/15; Vaccinated 7.3.15

Hosp; - ; 15/8/15; Enteritis

7 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

? RECORD of Frazer Tpr R M

Regiment OMR Robert McKinlay

“Adm Hos Mlata ex HS “Ascania” 25/8/15. Dysentery & Debility. Died of Enteric. Dardanelles. 4/9/15

(Typos as is on file)

8 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: OMR

Surname: Frazer

Christian Name: Robert McKinlay

No: 9/820

Place of Birth:

Date of Birth: 2/2/1891

Last New Zealand address: Mental Hospital Seacliff

Last employer: Govt Mental Hospital Seacliff

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): (Mother) Mrs John Frazer Sterling Otago NZ

Note: Will in favour of mother Jean Frazer Memo from PT 13.8.19 Any medals to go to Mrs J Frazer (m) Sterling (Note name ‘Jean’ here but ‘Jane’ below.)

Medal action

Stamped “MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 5 Oct 1923”

Legatee and address: Mrs Jane Frazer Box 33 Sterling Otago

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: as above

Sick

AFB103 15.8.15 At Anzac Adm 16th CCS Anzac & transferred to Mudros

Died of sickness AFB103 Ent 30/3/17 Died of enteric fever (at St Andrews Hospital) Malta Sept 4th 1915 (Buried in the Pieta Cemetery Malta Grave 6 Row 7b on 4.9.15 – see file.)

11.9.15 Died at Malta of Enteric 4.9.15

Medals to Mrs J Frazer Box 33 Sterling Otago NZ

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name Frazer Robert McKinley

Reg No 9/820

Roll No 504369

Scroll despatched (Date) 10 JUN 1921

Plaque 18 FEB 1922

Recipient and address: Mr J Frazer Box 33 Sterling Otago

Written down left side: “Cert posted 29.2.22 GLB”

9 FORM – NO TITLE

New Zealand: 15.12.14

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 24/2/15 (note: incorrect date)

Egypt up to 18/3/16: 26/3/15

Gallipoli: 12/4/15

Mudros, Lemnos &c: 15/8/15

Malta D of disease 4.9.15

NZ Service 61 Days

Overseas 203 days

Total NZEF service 264 days

Reference Source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 119

Record 0042327

Zack

Wayne

Information on FRANCIS, Gilbert Bryan 10/2138, Private, Wellington Infantry Battalion B Coy 5th Reinforcements for you.

This file is 18 pages of photocopy print out from microfilm. In total there are nine main documents (1 to 9) of interest with the usual inserts on the original file. The order of the document / information below is in the order of the files. Abbreviations are as recorded on the file. Apologies in advance of any misspellings! This man was Welsh and the spelling of his home address was a challenge in terms of deciphering it correctly from the file!

Overview

Gilbert Bryan Francis was born in Cardiganshire, South Wales England, on 17th October 1886.

Gilbert Francis underwent his medical examination on 31 December 1914 (place not stated) and he attested at Trentham, New Zealand on 13 February 1915. The file also records 16 February 1915 as his ‘enlistment’ at Trentham but as the 13 February is mentioned more often in the file it is therefore the more creditable date for me.

On enlistment he joined the Wellington Infantry Battalion, B Coy, 5th Reinforcements.

Gilbert Francis’s medical description was that he was 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed 147 lb. His complexion was dark; colour of eyes: brown, and colour of hair dark. His religious profession was Church of England. He had the following three distinctive marks noticed by the doctor undertaking the medical examination: two carbuncle scars at back of neck; supercritical mole between shoulder blades and a scar from a left side inguinal hernia operation. More importantly he had six teeth missing and yet was still passed as fit for active service. Perhaps he had a plate fitted before leaving New Zealand

His apparent age on enlistment was 28 years 2 months.

He was a farmer by ‘occupation’ and his last employer prior to enlisting was Mr Small, Fernside, Otane.

He was single. His father, Rev David Francis, lived at Llandygwydd Vicarage Llechryd Cardiganshire South Wales.

While his file doesn’t record what transport he left New Zealand on it would have been either the Maunganui (No 24) or Tahiti (No 24) or Aparima (No 26) – the three transports taking 2,299 troops of the 5th reinforcements to Egypt. Gilbert Francis joined his battalion in Gallipoli on 11 August 1915. He was inoculated against typhoid on 14 and 21 March 1915.

On 3 September 1915 he was admitted to the 16th Casualty Cleaning Station suspected of suffering from scarlet fever and was transferred the same day to Mudros for treatment. He was transferred from Mudros to St George’s Hospital Malta on the Hospital Ship Neuralia and on disembarkation at Malta (10 September 1915) he was described as being “slightly sick (rheumatism). However, by 4 October 1915 he was reported as dangerously ill. He died of enteric fever in St Georges Hospital on 13 November 1915 and was buried in the Pieta Cemetery, Malta, Plot D. Row VI. Grave 2.

He had lasted 23 days on Gallipoli until his evacuation to Mudros and then Malta. He survived a further 72 days after leaving Gallipoli. Sadly he would have ‘celebrated’ his birthday in hospital.

He was 29 years old at his death.

Stamped “5th REINFORCEMENTS”

Personal Record of Registration No 10/2138

NAME Francis Gilbert Bryan

Regiment B Coy 5th Reinfrs

2 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 10/2138

Name Francis, Gilbert Bryan

Regiment or Unit: B Coy 5th 17th Reft

1 What is your name? Francis, Gilbert Bryan

2 Where were you born? Cardiganshire South Wales England

4 What is the date of your birth? Oct 17th 1886

5 What is your trade or calling? Farmer

7 What was the address at which you last resided? C/- H Nelson Konini Pahiatua

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr Small Fernside Otane

10 Are you married? No

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? BLANK

I Gilbert Bryan Francis do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit Gilbert Francis

Signature of Witness J R T Slipper Lieut

I, Gilbert Bryan Francis, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly entered as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 16 day of FEB 1915.

Signature of Attesting Officer ILLEGIBLE Major Could be A M or W H Fletcher

Description of Gilbert Francis on Enlistment

Apparent age: 28 years 2 months

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Weight: 147 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34 ½ inches Maximum 37

Religious profession: Church of England

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. Two carbuncle scars at back of neck. Supercritical mole between should blades. Scar left inguinal hernia operation.

Medical Examination

Colour vision Normal

Is his heart normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? 6 teeth missing

Remarks

None

31 Dec 1914

SIGNED illegible Medical Officer

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (FORM NO 4) MEDICAL HISTORY

Of

Surname: Francis

Christian Name: Gilbert Bryan

Examined On 31 day of Dec, 1914

At - not stated

Birthplace Town Cardiganshire

Country South Wales England

Declared age: 28 years 2 months

Trade or occupation Farmer

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Weight 147 lb

Chest measurement Minimum, 34 ½ in Maximum expansion 37 in

Approved by illegible Medical Officer (Look like “Bro D Leal”)

Enlisted on 13th day of February 1915, at Trentham

Joined on enlistment: Wellington Infantry

Regimental No: 10/2138

Date: 13/2/15

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 10/2138

NAME: FRANCIS, Gilbert

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Wgton Infty; enlisted; Pte; 13/2/15; W H Fletcher Major

Wgton Infty; Joined Batt; Pte; 11.8.15; T W Watts

Wgton Infty; Dangerously ill; Pte; 11/10/15; -

4 FORM – NO TITLE

Written down left hand side of form: Surname: Francis Christian Name: Gilbert

Station or Troopship: Trentham

Date Arrival at the Station or of Embarkation: 13/2/15

Inoculated Typhoid 14/3/15

Inoculated Typhoid 21/3/15

5 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

Note there are two of these forms.

No 10/2138

Name: Francis, Gilbert

Data shown in order as: Country; From; To:

1 Service record; New Zealand 13/2/15; 11.6.15

1 Service record; Foreign; 12.6.15

5 Wounded; Dangerously ill Malta 4.10.15

10 Name and address of next of kin; Father David Francis Boncath Cardiganshire

6 Casualty Form – Active Service Army Form B103

Regimental Number 10/2138

Regiment or Corps Well Inf Batt 17th

Rank Pte

Surname Francis Gilbert Bryan

Enlisted (a) 13.2.15

Service reckons from (a) 13.2.15

Data shown in order as: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty; Date of Casualty; Remarks Taken from Army Form B213, Army For A 35 or other official documents:

15.8.15; O/C WIB; Joined Battalion; Dardanelles; 11.8.15; B213

5.9.15; 16 CC Stn; Adm 16th Cs Clear Stn & transferred to; Dardanelles / Mudros; 3.9.15; Scarlet fever? A36 A9643

10.9.15; H S Neuralia; Disemb to St Georges Hospital ex H S Neuralia; Malta; 10.9.15; Rheumatism Roll A10783

5.10.15; Com Malta; Dangerously ill; Malta; 4.10.15; Cable WB1884 (A12572) (Cabled 8.10.15)

13.11.15; Com Malta; Died of Enteric in St Georges Hospital; Malta; 13.11.15; Cable WB2811 A18429

Signed N Fitz Herbert rank faded OC Records Section New Zealand for DAG GHO 3rd Echelon MEF

Stamped “entered on history sheet MW 30.3.17”

Unit: WIB

Surname: Francis

Christian Name: Gilbert Bryan

No: 10/2138

Religion: Church of England

Place of Birth: Wales

Date of Birth: 17/10/1886

Last New Zealand address: C/O H Nelson Konini Pahiatua

Last employer: Mr Small Fernside Otane

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): David Francis (father) Boneath Cardiganshire South Wales (England)

Note written: “Memo from PT 22.7.19 War Medal to go to Rev D Francis (f) Llandygwydd Vicarage Llechryd Cardiganshire Sth Wales.”

Medal action

Stamped “MEDAL ACTION COMPLETE 5 OCT 1923

Legatee and address: Rev D Francis (f) Llandygwydd Vicarage Llechryd Cardiganshire Sth Wales.

Legal next of kin, relationship and address: as above

Sick

Data shown in order as: Date; Where soldier located; Message and Remarks:

27.9.15; Malta; Disembarked 10/9/15 slightly sick (rheumatism)

8.10.15; Malta; Dangerously ill 4/10/15. No further particulars

11.10.15; Malta; Confirms above

5.9.15; Mudros; Adm 16th Cas Clg Station & transferred to Mudros 3/9/15

AFB103 5.9.15 Mudros Adm 16th Cas Cly Station & transferred to Mudros 3/9/15

AFB103 Ent 30/3/17 Died of Enteric Fever in St George’s Hospital Malta November 13th 1915 (Buried in the Pieta Cemetery Malta – file)

Died of sickness Malta Died of Enteric Nov13th

Medals to Mr D Francis (F) Llandygwydd Vicarage Cardiganshire Sth Wales

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF Francis Gilbert Bryan

No 10/2138

Data shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Dates

WIB; Attested; Pte; 13.2.15

WIB; Joined Bn Dardanelles; Pte; 11.8.15

PLAQUE AND SCROLL

Soldier’s name: Francis Gilbert Bryan

Reg No: 10/2138

Roll No: 55828

Scroll despatched (Date): 9 NOV 1921

Plaque: ticked

Recipient and address: Rev D Francis Llandygwydd Vicarage Llechryd Cardiganshire Sth Wales

Plaque No: 55828

8 RECEIPT FOR MEMORIAL PLAQUE

I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF MEMORIAL PLAQUE ISSUED ON ACCOUNT OF

10/2138 Gilbert B Francis

Next of kin Rev D Francis

Signature David Francis

Address Llandygwydd Vicarage Llechryd Cardiganshire Sth Wales

IMPORTANT This receipt must be signed only by the person entitled to receive, & return to office i/c War Accts & Records Wellington

9 FORM – NO TITLE

New Zealand: 13.2.15

Embarked on Active Service NZ: 13.6.15

NZ Service 120

Days Overseas 154 days

Total NZEF service 274 days

Reference Source

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5537

Box / item 115

Record 0041947

Zack

Wayne

On the other hand having examined the records on this website a lot of details are clearly missing and there are statements made that doesn’t reflect what is actually recorded on the soldiers' files.

Think I'll stick with what we are doing – it may end up a more accurate record of the soldiers’ file.

Zack