The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More important than medals?

kevinrowlinson

Having had no luck in reseaching my two nearest relatives who served in WW1 I thought I would see exactly what I did have that had been passed down the family. No medals were kept or the death plaque for my great uncle. Were they not important? What I do have are two souvenirs from the Great War that my grandparents obviously did think were of interest. They have now been kept for 90 years. Has anyone else inherited similar items, that on the face of it, are totally worthless?

Kevin

post-14294-1158004087.jpg

Good that you still have something in the family. Rest assured thought that in monetary terms (regardless of more important family 'value') they are certainly not worthless. Sure just a scrap of metal with a contemporary label but to a Zep' collector a piece like that with provanance would be worth up to £50 or so.

There are collectors for everything! There always have been but the internet of course has bought every buyer and seller together fueling the collecting boom. But yes, there are a lot of people collecting Zeppelin related articles both with a militaria interest and more a general aviation interest.

Kevin

Very Interesting especially as it fell only a few miles up the road from me.

Glyn

Do Glyn and I read that right as "Dropped on Radwinter"?

If so I am fascinated - I know of stuff dropped on the Sampfords in WW2 (see my location in the sidebar!) but nothing in WW1 - do you know any more, bar the date?

Would you mind if I started a thread in "The War in the Air" asking about raids on this date?

Adrian

Kevin

Very Interesting especially as it fell only a few miles up the road from me.

Glyn

You weren't there at the time, I take it?

Having had no luck in reseaching my two nearest relatives who served in WW1 I thought I would see exactly what I did have that had been passed down the family. No medals were kept or the death plaque for my great uncle. Were they not important?

Before you think I am only interested in your souvenirs (oo-er!), I've had a little think. Perhaps the medals, plaque etc bought back too many personal memories? Too painful? Sold for scrap value when hard times bit? Just lost in moves? Given to children to play with who then lost them?There are myriad reasons why these things go AWOL, important or not.

On the other hand, what you do have - at least what you have shown us! - is a fascinating piece of local history. Worthless? Perhaps, but that doesn't mean it has no value to someone, even now.

Adrian

To be honest I haven't given this fragment much thought. It always semed an odd sort of thing to keep. Given that my family were great horders it's surprising there isn't more stuff.

Given what Adrian has mentioned about Radwinter I thought I would look up the said date in an interesting book called "Journal from a small village", a diary kept by the Pampisford postmaster during WW1 and who seemed to take an interest in zeppelin raids. Low and behold for 24 May 1917, "Air raid over this part of the country last night. They were heard at Hinxton & Sawston about 2 am. They say fire bombs were dropped in a field at Radwinter but did not explode". Adrian-please post anything you like if it interests you.

As for any medals, I would not be surprised if they went straight in the bin when they arrived .

Almost too embarrased to show the other thing.

Kevin

You weren't there at the time, I take it?

:lol::lol:

Cheeky s*d

To be honest I haven't given this fragment much thought. It always semed an odd sort of thing to keep. Given that my family were great horders it's surprising there isn't more stuff.

Given what Adrian has mentioned about Radwinter I thought I would look up the said date in an interesting book called "Journal from a small village", a diary kept by the Pampisford postmaster during WW1 and who seemed to take an interest in zeppelin raids. Low and behold for 24 May 1917, "Air raid over this part of the country last night. They were heard at Hinxton & Sawston about 2 am. They say fire bombs were dropped in a field at Radwinter but did not explode". Adrian-please post anything you like if it interests you.

As for any medals, I would not be surprised if they went straight in the bin when they arrived .

Almost too embarrased to show the other thing.

Kevin

Fascinating Stuff Kevin

Are you from this area?

The book, please tell us a bit more about it - Is it about this particular area or more general.

Now whats this other thing - go on don't be shy :D

Glyn

My family originated from the Pampisford area, and seeing this book in a Sawston bookshop I had to buy it. The author, Mr William John Brand, had his views on the war and the men that served, or didn't, as he saw it. Although mainly dealing with the nearest villages he did take a heathy interest in the war effort in general and seemed most disturbed that any zeppelin raid that he could hear going on were not being reported in the newspapers. Interestingly there is another post about zeppelin bombing over Northampton so I thought I would have a look to see whether he mentioned it. All he says on the 20 November is "Heard the sounds of bombs last night, London way. The noise started the pheasants screeching as usual".

Please don't tell me that people will pay good money for pieces of hut.

Kevin

post-14294-1158091031.jpg

Very interesting. Yes, people will pay money for it. ;) As you will know it is nothing to do with being an old bit of hut and everything to do with the association. OK, it's not an association up there with Hitler's desk as in the media last week but again your old piece of hut to a Great War militaria collector has a value. I would love it in my collection.

Not really related but another example of an obscure and seemingly worthless piece that holds a certain fascination:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=34317&hl=

And of course if you were from Dover and interested in WW!, or had a rellie killed by German shelling there... It's all relative.

I'll post that extract from the book under "War in the Air" and see what can be filled in - I assume Herr ZeppelinKapitan was lost as I can't see bombing Radwinter would do a lot for the German war effort, unless it was a British anti-aircraft shell that didn't self-destruct (was WW1 AAA ammunition self-destructing?)?

Bizarre and pointless observation (being made by someone desperate to show off their knowledge of utter trivia) - do you know why Pampisford is so called, despite being a mile from the Cam?

Adrian

Sorry Adrian I do not know why Pampisford is so called. Perhaps someone will now tell us if they read this.

I now realise that it was perhaps wrong to ask if anyone else had anything that they had inherited that was worthless. Yes everything has a price, but nothing that I have, connected to my family, are for sale. I did expect someone to come up with something. Perhaps if I say anything that would realise less than £50. I have a lot of WW1 postcards ( grandmother collected them ) that I assume has some value but to me are priceless.

Kevin

I now realise that it was perhaps wrong to ask if anyone else had anything that they had inherited that was worthless. Yes everything has a price, but nothing that I have, connected to my family, are for sale. I did expect someone to come up with something. Perhaps if I say anything that would realise less than £50. I have a lot of WW1 postcards ( grandmother collected them ) that I assume has some value but to me are priceless.

Phew, thought you were about to shift the family silver there!

Seriously, though, I do see your point. Poor use of the word "worthless", perhaps? I must confess that I have similar - the postcards my family have helped me date my Grandfather's service and, while "worth" just a few pounds each, to me have been like gold dust given the loss of his records in 1940. Your family heirlooms may be odd, but that does not stop them being fascinating! (Zeppelins! Over RADWINTER? I'm flabbergasted! And fascinated!)

I think you might need to start a new tread on strange relics, as this one may have been hijacked by Zeppelins!

Adrian

P.S. Pampisford - the closeness to the Cam is an illusion - it was originally the worth (an enclosure) of Pampi - Pampi's worth - in Old (ie Anglo-Saxon) English. So the name preserves the identity of the first settler it was worth naming the place after. I'll 'fess up now to having finished an essay a few weeks ago on Anglo-Saxon placenames using the southern half of the OS sheet with Pampisford and the Sampfords on for source material...

For those that may be interested in the Dover air raid I now think the date is wrong and should be 9 March 1916, when "one woman was killed, an artillery man and wounded 3 soldiers."

ref;

http://fredmitchell.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page5.html

I shall now have to find out who they were.

Kevin

p.s when the stamp edge came off someone must have added a 1

Goodness!! What do you do in your spare time?

Rhetorical question.

Spare time? I've forgotten what spare time is!

Actually (gets out soapbox) I'm doing a course in English Local History, and placenames are an important - if often awkward and badly documented - part of that, as they originated back when documentation just wasn't about.

At least one other GWF member has done the same course (but they did it online). True, but strange!

Adrian