Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial scroll issued by local council

John_Hartley

A photo of the following scroll was sent to me by somebody who had spotted the guy's write-up on my website. Until then, I didnt know Stockport had issued a scroll. Was it something that many local councils did?

post-72-1157983470.jpg

Not seen this for Swansea.

Bernard

I have the same one, but it was from Stretford

Roy - If it's the same, any idea if it was "standard design" round the Manchester area?

Nick - is that the Neville Chamberlain who has signed the Brummie one?

I have this scroll issued by Hamilton council for a soldier who survived

williamlyoung.jpg

And this postcard which seems to show a scroll issued by Motherwell council for one who didnt make it

johnconnorscroll.jpg

Alistair

The Neville Chamberlain in Brummie Nick's posting was the same chap who took us into WW2. The Chamberlains had Birmingham pretty well sewn up during the late 19th and early 20th Century.

Edwin

Hello Edwin,i have this Man on my Local memorial for WW1..any relation to You??

2Lt.Ernest W.R.D. Astill.

9th London Regiment.

KIA 30.03.18.

Pozieres Mem.

Roy - If it's the same, any idea if it was "standard design" round the Manchester area?

Nick - is that the Neville Chamberlain who has signed the Brummie one?

Yep! thats the one "Peace in our time" and all that.

Edwin/Nick

Ta for the confirmation. Am I right in thinking his father was also a previous Lord Mayor of England's third city? :ph34r:

Harters - at times a Mancunian :D

Manchester Reference Library has a collection of these Memorial Cards from local towns around Manchester as part of their archive collection. The printer was based in Manchester, hence the local connection. They tended to be very colourful in appearance as in the Stockport example.

Steve

A mate of mine has his Great-Grandfather's scroll (ex-RFA 14-18 war), presented by the town of Bolton, Lancs, in recognition of service; he was not a casualty and survivied the war physiaclly intact. I myself have my own Grandfather's presentaion scroll, issued by the town of Barnstaple, Devon, for the same reason; again, as a L/Cpl, CMP, for the later 39-45 conflict; he too survived the war....an interesting slant on the topic?

A mate of mine has his Great-Grandfather's scroll (ex-RFA 14-18 war), presented by the town of Bolton, Lancs, in recognition of service; he was not a casualty and survivied the war physiaclly intact. I myself have my own Grandfather's presentaion scroll, issued by the town of Barnstaple, Devon, for the same reason; again, as a L/Cpl, CMP, for the later 39-45 conflict; he too survived the war....an interesting slant on the topic?

Whilst not a memorial scroll. My wife's grandfather recieved one from Radcliffe Lancs council on him winning the DCM on the Somme in September 1916, 11 Lancs Fus..

The City of london and the County issued a certificate of service to all their soldiers; whether a casualty or not.

The City of london and the County issued a certificate of service to all their soldiers; whether a casualty or not.

I wonder if they kept a list of who got one....

I'm the chap who sent John the Stockport Memorial Scroll, I also have this one which is shortly off to Australia to be reunited with the medals.

post-6635-1158241644.jpg

I'm the chap who sent John the Stockport Memorial Scroll,

Hello, Bob.

I hadnt realised you were a member here (or had forgotten). Hope you didnt mind me posting the query. It's produced some interesting stuff.

John