Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th Battalion (Tyneside Scottish) Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest Maxie

I am looking for further information on the 20th Battalion (Tyneside Scottish) Northumberland Fusiliers. My great-great grandfather Sergt. William Bulmer Morton 20/1340 served with them until killed in action in France & Flanders on 18.09.17. Our family already have his medal card. I recently visited his grave at Hargicourt British Cemetary, Aisne, France and would really like to know more about this regiment and their movements around the time he died if anyone can help.

:) Hello, and welcome to the forum. There is an excellent book by Graham Stewart {Forum member} and John Sheen about the history of the Tyneside Scottish in the Great War, published by Sword and Pen ISBN0-85052-587-X. In the book there is a nominal roll of all of the original members of the regiment. The information given for your chap is that he resided at 55 Spelter Works road and enlisted in Grangetown Sunderland.

Just before he was killed the battalion had been in action in the Hagricourt Valley, attacking a German position called Cologne Ridge. I'm sure when Graham Stewart sees your post he will be able to supply more details of the action.

Regards,

Stewart

20th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Scottish), War Diary.

17th/18th September 1917.

"On the night of Sept 17th/18th, 102 Infantry Bde relieved the 103rd Bde in the left sector 34th Dvisional Front; the 20th Bn,N.F. relieving the 25th Bn,N.F. in the Centre sub-sector, Bn H.Q. established at L5 b.25.15"

Sorry no mention of casualties.

Graham.

• 12 years later...

Hello Guest Maxie,

I have done quite a bit of research into William Bulmer Morton and have a file on him. I really would like to know the whereabouts of his original medals though and am missing a photo. It would be absolutely great to put a face to the research. 

John

John 

If you look at the date on Maxie's post

it shows 2006   and "guest" which indicates that Maxie is no longer a member of this forum

so she is unlikely to see or respond to your post

regards Ray 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's worth a shot. Better than putting nothing up. I have been looking at this post for about 8 years now as it's the first to come up when searching the name/regt number.

Johngray1 - You will probably have all of the revelant information I have on 20/1340 Sgt William Bulmer Morton, but I'm unaware of the whereabouts of his medals. However have you tried local newspapers for the period as they often published photos of the fallen. I have his address from the CWGC as 55 Spelter Works Road, Grangetown, Sunderland, so newspapers from that area may be a start for you.

Hi Graham, 

Got replicas of his medals along with the death plaque. Been through all Sunderland papers to find photos with no luck. Got all the information inc battle maps, diary of events leading up to him being killed Etc. apart from photo and original medals. He's my Wife's Great Great Great Uncle. 

Edited by Johngray1

• 3 months later...

Hi Johngray1, 

William Bulmer Morton is my Great grandfather on my mothers side. I'm not sure if you are just looking for a photo of him as I can supply that. He was married to Mary Ann Pratt and at the time of his death they were living at 55 Spelter Works Rd, Sutherland. Contact me on my email if you like. 

Karajago2007@yahoo.com.au. 

Regards Karyn