Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting funeral postcard

barrieduncan

Hi Doug. This picture is often said to be the funeral of Ball VC. However, it certainly isn't. You were right about it being taken in Cologne Southern Cemetery. It is in fact the funeral of Captain WL Birt on the 22nd April 1916. He was serving with the 9th East Surrey Rgt and was captured the previous year at Loos.

Best wishes

Forton

• 3 years later...

Can someone bring me up to speed on Captain Birt and why his funeral would be attended by senior German officers?

thanks

khaki

Can someone bring me up to speed on Captain Birt and why his funeral would be attended by senior German officers?

thanks

khaki

Hi Khaki,

If you Google his name Wilfred Beckett Birt you will find some details regarding him under a section called 'Newport's War Dead'. Apparently he died from wounds received at the Battle of Loos on 25/9/15, where he was taken POW.

I can see nothing which marks him out as being of special nterest to the Germans. Perhaps they afforded this type of ceremony to all British officers who died whilst POW's?

Robert

Hello Robert,

One reference I found for Captain Birt stated that he was born in Germany?, maybe that was the difference !

khaki

• 1 year later...

thanks

khaki

Wilfred Beckett Birt's birth was registered Apr-May-Jun 1880 in Croydon, Surrey, and the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Census give his birthplace as Kenley.

Forgotten Books :: 1,000,000+ Free Books, World's Largest Online eBook Library

JP