Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting funeral postcard

barrieduncan

Thought this postcard looked fairly unusual, so I bought it. On the back, in pencil, is written 'English prisoner of war in Germany, from Stan'. Now I take it that the man being buried was the prisoner of war in question, but I'm wondering if it was perhaps someone of special significance - it looks to be quite a ceremony.

post-9547-1157886395.jpg

David, as you pointed out, one of the Scottish chaps (Black Watch or 9th HLI, can't really be sure) seems to be wearing an Observers badge. The officer next to him (the American?) is also wearing a set of pilots wings.

Another forum pal has suggested to me that this may well be the funeral of Albert Ball VC, I'm happy to agree with him.

Interesting that the Australian chap to the left of the pictures is wearing a cape on one shot but a greatcoat on the other.

Bit like a continuity error !

If that's an Australian, hasn't he got the wrong side of his hat turned up? Or did they just pick a random side to put up? (I thought they all put up the same side).

Allie

If that's an Australian, hasn't he got the wrong side of his hat turned up? Or did they just pick a random side to put up? (I thought they all put up the same side).

Allie

The photo could be reversed?

If you look at the extreme right edge of the 1st pic on the website, you can just about see the edge of another persons robe/coat, could be the chap we see in the postcard I posted.

The man with his back to the camera, wearing the clipped-up hat, in Barrie's original pic, is face-on to the camera, just behind the priest's robe in the first pic on the website. Von Lettow-Vorbeck wore a hat like that in his East African campaign - with the right side clipped up.

Mick

post-11021-1157981075.jpg

Ah, good to know. I knew that it wasn't just the Australians who did that with their hats (having seen numerous pictures of New Zealanders with the same), plus other allied nationalities. But I didn't realise some Germans did it.

Allie

I was always under the impression that the lifted brim to one side of the hat was based on sloping arms in rifle drill and that this was the historical tradition for the Australian titfer. Can anyone confirm this as being correct?

Well, whether or not that is correct (although I've heard that, too), what is correct is that it wasn't only the Australians who did that with their hats.

There's a history of the Australian slouch hat here

Allie

Just wondering why, if this is the funeral of a British fighter ace, there are apparently no German aviators present?

Mick

I'm not quite sure Mick. As far as I am aware, he died in a mid-air collision and wasn't shot down - perhaps they crashed somewhere where there weren't many German pilots? Can you tell I have no idea what I'm talking about? :lol:

• 3 years later...

I have a similar photograph, but not, I think the same funeral. Can your experts come up with more information for me? My grandfather is the 5th adult from the left. He was a POW in Germany and Holland and was in the DLI.

ADMIN EDIT - Over use of quotes.

post-47060-1268824576.jpg

gykerthing, I can't see any Germans in your photo and the non-British look like Dutch so I would suggest the Netherlands. Technically your grandfather was interned in Netherlands rather than a PoW.

Well, whether or not that is correct (although I've heard that, too), what is correct is that it wasn't only the Australians who did that with their hats.

There's a history of the Australian slouch hat here

Allie

allie,

maybe you are aware of it, the irish guards wore slouch hats [ right side turned up] in pre ww1 years.

mike.

gykerthing, I can't see any Germans in your photo and the non-British look like Dutch so I would suggest the Netherlands. Technically your grandfather was interned in Netherlands rather than a PoW.

Thanks - I've been putting together the story, but there's very little info. I think he was captured at the Aisne Heights in September 1914, but don't know where he was in Germany, though some of his fellow DLI prisoners were at Friedrichsfeld. I know he was in The Hague in 1918 - plenty of photos. I noticed that the gravestone in the photo is a different shape - I assume it was years before they were standardised.

• 3 weeks later...

I have several photographs taken of this. It is almost certainly Cologne South Western Cemetery (the photographer was from Cologne) and would be of a PoW (officer) who died there.

post-7895-1270498887.jpg

post-7895-1270498968.jpg

Doug